Will it not deter people re-subbing if everything is salvaged?

Honvik

Just wondered on this as I'm not overly for nor against it but in many games items are usually slapped into Escrow if you go inactive and can pull it out again.  I'm talking here long term people who quite a while ago.  So why are not they not doing it here?  Wont the fact people may rejoin only to find everything 'gone' just put them off and therefore hitting your audience ?

Seems a double whammy :(

31 minutes ago, Honvik said:

Just wondered on this as I'm not overly for nor against it but in many games items are usually slapped into Escrow if you go inactive and can pull it out again.  I'm talking here long term people who quite a while ago.  So why are not they not doing it here?  Wont the fact people may rejoin only to find everything 'gone' just put them off and therefore hitting your audience ?

People should have dropped their stuff on Sanctuary when they left if they wanted to keep their stuff. It has always been clear the _only_ place where your stuff is truly safe is on Sanctuary.

4 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

People should have dropped their stuff on Sanctuary when they left if they wanted to keep their stuff. It has always been clear the _only_ place where your stuff is truly safe is on Sanctuary.

I dont think when I started it was ever ever indicated a territory would be removed thats the issue :)

7 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

That's can't be further from the truth.

NQ had no idea what sanctuary is for especially after they committed to the safezone triangle to never go away.

No matter what, getting the players that left DU back should be first priority for the longevity of the game.

But, that's NQ. Let's wipe stuff of people that left, that is 100% good for business right ?

Edited by XKentX

5 minutes ago, Honvik said:

I dont think when I started it was ever ever indicated a territory would be removed thats the issue :)

It has always been known that upkeep would come. By definition that would impliy if you do not maintain upkeep you lose ownershipo and this may mean you lose your stuff

1 minute ago, XKentX said:

That's can't be further from the truth.

NQ had no idea what sanctuary is for especially after they committed to the safezone triangle to never go away.

I get that point, effectively NQ threw out their entire plan by creating the permanent safezone to appease the Landmark players who started crying about losing their stuff the moment they came in and had been lobbying with NQ to "hear them".

2 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

It has always been known that upkeep would come. By definition that would impliy if you do not maintain upkeep you lose ownershipo and this may mean you lose your stuff

If you grabbed the game 6 months ago there was never an indication of such.  I'm merely pointing out what other companies do that enables people to come back.  Sadly this change sounds great to salvage but no people may sadly be less inclined to return.  Less re-subs!

5 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

I get that point, effectively NQ threw out their entire plan by creating the permanent safezone to appease the Landmark players who started crying about losing their stuff the moment they came in and had been lobbying with NQ to "hear them".

Common, the game changes upside down every other patch. Nothing is clear.

Screwing up people who left the game to the point they don't have anything to return to is a worst possible decision.

The "auto HQ" won't help too as most people created alt organizations and put the ownership there.

I think  we can all agree NQ is currently just throwing stuff at the wall hoping something will somehow stick.. 

That said, the mechanic of losing ownership of territory and with it the risk of losing your stuff is something I have no problem with at all myself. But I can understand the arguments made by others, even when I do not agree.

3 hours ago, Honvik said:

Why come back if there is nothing to come back to with NQ still saying there will be no wipe is the real question. It takes year(s) to build and it takes hours to loot.

Especially when they could have just thrown events once a month or whenever to hand out a blueprint with a basic unorganized ship we could have built with our own parts as a quest, flew it to some random event tile, and NQ just turns all those ships into golden blueprints, pays out those who sold them ships, kept the market moving, and had all the seeds of just random ships they could then use to spawn salvageable ships endlessly or using physical parts coming out of our pockets so they dont end up with the same free money printer that missions have.

Or just setting up the mission system as a pipeline to make ships or modular buildings they can buy from us to get items out of the market in which to spawn salvage ships/buildings without killing your playerbase in the process for the sake of taxes and still not closing the loophole that justified too much quanta in the system to need taxes.

Its an idiotic, yet humourous cycle of:

• Design a half baked system
  • Introduce a problem they create
  • Inaction
  • Bandaid solution
  • +1 pentalty to whoever didnt exploit said problem
  • +2 penalty to new players who were not par of said problem or systems that no longer exist
  • Repeat!
Edited by Warlander

9 hours ago, Honvik said:

They will come back for the wipe. ?

But seriously NQ is figuring it out. People lose their shit in EvE if they don't secure it and it's just fine. And if your goal is hoarding shit then that's on you. I even quit eve completely once but then cake back with brand new characters I made and played again for many more years, because the game was fun to me. And I quickly doing fleet pvp even with new characters.  Moving forward NQ just needs to say Sanc is only place that won't lose stuff if that's what they want everything else is subject to being lost whether is pvp or inactivity.  And who gives a [filtered] about the people who unsubbed 95% will never come back anyway and like I said only thing that matters is if the game loops are fun (that's an entirely different debate).  This really isn't an issue at all its just a few neck beards shouting at the wind.

Prioritising non players over existing and active players is madness and preserving materials and killing a gameplay loop (salvaging) on the off chance non players might be disadvantaged is antithetical to "a living dynamic universe".

If I leave for a year in a dynamic universe I should expect to be rolled over.

And who knew "a million players in one shard" would include large numbers of not-players?

NQ has been struggling with cleaning up (and preventing more of) the hordes of constructs left rusting.  They even gave us pocket ships as a direct response to the problem.  

One of the ideas I wanted to use on my bar/market was to salvage ships and turn them into decoration.  I would take all elements and sell/reuse.  The honeycomb shell would be cut/paste onto the static construct with some weathering done and honeycomb cinder blocks under it.

I really like the salvage mechanic, even though i havent seen it at all (is that still a thing worth looking for or is everything looted?).

I can see early adopters being pissed they lost stuff without knowing, but in the long run it has a lot of benefits, both in terms of game stability/reducing lag etc, and creating opportunties for things to do and player turnover in terms of freeing up good realestate etc. 

Its unrealistic to think everyone who starts playing will continue for the rest of their lives. More people will stop playing than will continue, thats a fact... so its a good way to embrace that and make it a feature for continuing/new players.

But most importantly it creates reasons to explore and move around, the game needs more of that and less watching auto miners at your hq.