WTF again NQ? Market landing pads

Daphne Jones

Have you tried to land at D6 Market - on the actual landing pad - since docking was updated? You can't do it. All those dynamic "container" cores under the landing pad will push you the (expletive) off because you're not allowed to (expletive) dock with them. I have solutions:

1. Let people put their containers on a static core by making an exception to the static core rules in market hexes - 1 per player, not blocking the pad or market. I think the reason those cores are clustered right under the market is that their owners VR to the market and linked container range in VR is very short (250m? iirc) so...

2. Make linked container range an exception to loss of talents in VR. 

3. Require a control unit on a dynamic construct for docking features. Most of those things are some containers and maybe a VR pad - no control unit... so there would be no "you can't dock here (expletive)."

I like solution 2. The reason I was doing something as idiotic as trying to land on the D6 M platform is that my customer is planning to VR to the market and load the ship from his market container. If we didn't have to deal with (expletive) VR linked range restrictions, I would have parked on the outermost ring of pads. (All the inner pads there are cluttered with ships owned by players who have long since quit the game in disgust. I actually know where I am on those pads by which ships are permanently parked near me.)

Docking shields are just yet another example of a quick fix doing more damage then it fixes.

- It completely ruins any immersion in the game. Landing on a market pad now feels like you are in the middle of a dancing game with blinking lights everywhere.

- You can no longer just land on a big ship just to say hi to someone, decreasing immersion as mentioned above.

- The entire dynamic and satisfaction of being able to precision land between other ships is gone.

- I had to double the size of my HQ landing area just to be able to land without activating "disco party" mode.

- You can no longer use dynamic constructs creatively for decorations like statues etc. without causing lots of problems

- You can't click the rapport abuse button on a construct parked high up in the air, because you are unable to land on it

.. and so on.

So in short it causes problems for all, and was done this way just to try and avoid dev time by reusing/misusing the PvP shields instead of making an actual fit for purpose patch for the involuntary boarding/docking problem.

10 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Have you tried to land at D6 Market - on the actual landing pad - since docking was updated? You can't do it. All those dynamic "container" cores under the landing pad will push you the (expletive) off because you're not allowed to (expletive) dock with them. I have solutions:

1. Let people put their containers on a static core by making an exception to the static core rules in market hexes - 1 per player, not blocking the pad or market. I think the reason those cores are clustered right under the market is that their owners VR to the market and linked container range in VR is very short (250m? iirc) so...

2. Make linked container range an exception to loss of talents in VR. 

3. Require a control unit on a dynamic construct for docking features. Most of those things are some containers and maybe a VR pad - no control unit... so there would be no "you can't dock here (expletive)."

I like solution 2. The reason I was doing something as idiotic as trying to land on the D6 M platform is that my customer is planning to VR to the market and load the ship from his market container. If we didn't have to deal with (expletive) VR linked range restrictions, I would have parked on the outermost ring of pads. (All the inner pads there are cluttered with ships owned by players who have long since quit the game in disgust. I actually know where I am on those pads by which ships are permanently parked near me.)

Why let people put container cluster constructs at any of the markets? Just give them a locker or guild bank sort of thing in the markets to get rid of some of the container cores. Why even have that as a thing if you could just store stuff at the market without it? 

- Make public VR pods on markets.

- Make public rentable container space on market.  / Allow player to put things into market container and mark them as bought stuff.

- Hide all constructs after 1 day parking on market tile. Hide all constructs on tile, don't forget the ones parked on AGG.

Workable and cheap solutions for the market situation have been suggested for years now, NQ refuses to actually resolve this issue.

Just went to M17 and there is several ships way bigger than S size taking a quarter of the pad and it's orange and red flashing lights galore trying to land..

No im against this, and why? Because I dont think we should be restricted.

I can still land my M-core(fat arrow shaped, max width and lenght) at market 6, even though I have to hover above it to find a spot.

Then I use my piggyback riding xs core to fly around eliot. My ship stays at the market for like 2 days.

Dont make more rules (because you dont like them), and try to accept them becaused they are caused by human, thats my motto. We know how to deal with humans, dont we.

The docking thing is really anoying. Trying to fit lots of 14x14 voxel xs cores next to each other is almost impossible,  and so is the docking of 2 ships next to each other on your larger core

Also, i went to the market 6, got out of the xs-core ship and the ship FOLLOWED ME!... 

Yes, the no-docking red-globes pushed the ship!

Then I almost couldnt take off, the move tool wouldnt let me pass the red no-docking globes(I was stuck between the market building and parked ships) and getting into my ship made it only worse. I couldnt take off or fly cuz of the bumping around.

Made it out by keep screwing around with the move tool, build mode to get in and get above the no-docking globes to finally get away

So NQ, whaddaya gonna do about this market mayem?

This is not a solution I would want,

but another "quick fix" with minimal dev time would be for NQ to reuse the construct docking shields and have them surround the entire market and prevent M and L cores from landing.

And the carnage around DS6 with something like this would be spectacular..

It's almost as if having a

Player run markets in a game the devs say is player driven would be the way to go.  If I own tiles I can yeet any players ship if they leave it there too long. If I own a space station I should be able to do the same. Let players control the land and property they own. We don't want/need aphelia. Give us player run markets.

11 hours ago, Emptiness said:

Every time I check back on these forums, NQ has found another hilarious way to troll the playerbase. And yet the players keep playing.

Because we were fooled by taking long subscriptions. We keep playing until it ends.

And im sure many will end soon

11 hours ago, Emptiness said:

Every time I check back on these forums, NQ has found another hilarious way to troll the playerbase. And yet the players keep playing.

Ruby founder, so I cannot really "end the sub". But I don't play anymore. Delayed it as long as I could, but nah .... there simply is no 'game'.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Warlander said:

Why let people put container cluster constructs at any of the markets? Just give them a locker or guild bank sort of thing in the markets to get rid of some of the container cores. Why even have that as a thing if you could just store stuff at the market without it? 

If market storage were subject to the same container distance and RDMS rules as constructs that would eliminate the perceived/actual need for container constructs at markets.  It would probably be a considerable reduction in semi-redundant code and server side performance requirements aside from a potential merger of databases.  I would recommend against making it accessible via the inventory screen though as that would encourage using markets for 'free' storage.

2 hours ago, Wyndle said:

If market storage were subject to the same container distance and RDMS rules as constructs that would eliminate the perceived/actual need for container constructs at markets.  It would probably be a considerable reduction in semi-redundant code and server side performance requirements aside from a potential merger of databases.  I would recommend against making it accessible via the inventory screen though as that would encourage using markets for 'free' storage.

Well since NQ has taxes per week they could do rent based parking at markets that will charge constructs per week by how long you are there. If you go to the market and leave before an hour ticks since we also have a rate per hour with MUs NQ could start a timer based on how many hours you are at a market and charge players 1 mil in rent per week if you are there for a week straight to cut down on free parking at markets.

If they impose a 1 mil tax for parking at markets they could add another little tab for storage in markets that acts like an inventory you can link to at the market to push players to storing items there without all the container clusters under the market to improve performance around markets and if you really want to sell a ship then you have the option for 1 mil per week or just storing an unlimited amount of things at the market for free.

But at the same time there is a need for being able to have a type of golden blueprint and a secondary ship based marketplace to where you can make a ship and like the golden blueprints players need a silver blueprint in which you can make a ship and pack it into a silver blueprint that can fit in containers along with being able to be put into a ship marketplace that is easier logistically to buy a ship without needing to buy all the parts, elements, voxels in one BP that you can just make silver blueprint it, put it in a container or 10 link of containers, transport it to a market and list it so that another player can buy it at their own ease to simplify the whole BP/token meta as the ship market could do all that automatically and the player can then spawn the actual ship when/where they want if they have a ship capable of transporting it or just spawning it on the market pad, filling it with gas, and going on their merry way.

Not everything in the game needs to be so tedious but there are situations like keeping ships from being virtually rendered via transport or putting most of the ships being sold onto a market until sold and increasing performance from having box clusters, ships, structures, or whatever all being in the game being rendered running scripts when NQ could have markets either auto golden BP ships or charge people for parking.

1 hour ago, Warlander said:

If they impose a 1 mil tax for parking at markets

Oh yeah, that would entice new players to grind more quanta.  If NQ even discussed that prospect in earnest publicly the project would be all but dead in a matter of minutes.  I may complain on the forums, but it is because I still (foolishly) want this project to be a success.  

Just up the space limits on market inventories, simple fix.

As a new player my first thought when visiting alioth 6 was "this is chaos... laggggggg.... why did they.... lagggggg..... let people build all this.... lagggggg.... crap everywhere... lagggggg.... it looks terrib..... game crash."