@NQ Devs can you at least talk to us?

Warlander

27 minutes ago, Doombad said:

Exactly

But muh narrative... Haven't you noticed how everybody suddenly says how mining wasn't that bad... I still remember the "mining simulator" rants.

Not an argument that isn't too cheap, no position that might be too incoherent 6 months from now. Sure make it a protestant work ethic talking point if I'm averse to go through a third wipe before ever having tried weapons, or even a build with atmo engines pointing downwards... The goners will not come back from it, honestly these people wasted money on something they wrongly assumed might give them instant gratification, quoting marketing material litterally like they never had to make a buying decision on their own in their life.

Even if my motivation was at an historical high, I would never be able to put in as much time as back when they dropped it around the lockdowns, a detail that is gladly left out from those that think the distinction between alpha and beta means a shit like the whole industry hasn't been ripping us off with early access since a decade.

Honestly the whole wipe debate allways sounds to me like hiding behind equality of opportunity when in fact arguing for equality of outcome.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:12 AM, Zeddrick said:

No, I think we will have a new and different mess a few weeks after a wipe, particularly if it comes with a switch of beta accounts into paid subs.  Honestly there can't really be any balance in the game when some people have got 60+ beta accounts which cost them nothing and others are playing with 1-2 paid subs.  How could the game ever work properly and balance both of those types of players together.  At the moment attempts to curb the 60+ account players are, IMO, driving the more casual types out of the game completely by over-nerfing, over-taxing, etc them.

After the beta accounts become paid we won't have the problems you describe where players can lock up loads of land forever.  But we will have the problem that the organised groups can beat everyone to the good stuff.

There will still be people that PAY for 60 accounts. See EVE, tons of people multi client the game... arguabley more so than DU. 

Whales in MMO's always exist. Whether buying gold for an advantage or paying for multiple accounts to aquire more in game resources. 

Even with a wipe we'll end up at the have and have nots again. Switching to paid accounts doesn't fix it, nor does a wipe. 

I already know people with 10+ paid accounts, you can churn a ton of quanta still via mission running alts and other players packages. Removing beta accounts would not affect them nor the billions they make. 

The big difference is you can runs 10 or more clients in EVE without needing a monster PC, the same can't be said for DU. I do on occasion have two clients running, one on my local ssystem and one on Shadow butonly when two charatcres need to interact, which is not very frequent.

For me, my alts are pretty much independent characters with their own purpose and not meant to be used at the same time,..

19 hours ago, BlindingBright said:

There will still be people that PAY for 60 accounts. See EVE, tons of people multi client the game... arguabley more so than DU. 

Whales in MMO's always exist. Whether buying gold for an advantage or paying for multiple accounts to aquire more in game resources. 

Even with a wipe we'll end up at the have and have nots again. Switching to paid accounts doesn't fix it, nor does a wipe. 

I already know people with 10+ paid accounts, you can churn a ton of quanta still via mission running alts and other players packages. Removing beta accounts would not affect them nor the billions they make. 

OK, so if someone is prepared to throw hundreds of $ per month into a game there will always be a way for them to gain a large advantage from that, even if they either pay someone RL money to grind for them or just use RMT services.  The big difference with these types is there won't be very many of them, at least not with a large, healthy playerbase.

But the issue with the beta accounts is that people aren't doing that.  Some backed the game with a lot of money at the start but I think a lot of the people with large numbers of beta accounts just collected them from friends/orgmates who left the game or just weren't using all their keys.  So those people are just playing for free and when the beta ends they won't be any more.  So there will still be some whales spending a lot of RL money but most people won't be like that and we won't have nearly as many people with game-breaking numbers of characters at their disposal.

Eve works a little differently.  They made (IMO) the mistake of making it easy to self-fund an account with very little playing time by training skills, extracting them, selling them for ingame money and using the proceeds to pay for the account for another month.  That means that for a few minutes a month you could have an account with 3 characters which could do various other low effort money generating things like PI and industry.  Since they paid for themselves anyone could have an army of characters if they wanted.  I hope DU doesn't do the same (autominers + DAC could do this if autominers didn't have the calibration part).