Weightless ammo again? WTF NQ?

Daphne Jones

Hauling a load of ammo, I noticed that it's gone back to being weightless... well nearly massless. Specifically, DU ammo specific gravity is 0.11 (water's specific gravity is 1.0). Sorry couldn't resist that once I started the sentence with "specifically". That translates to 0.11 kg/L, making it about the lightest thing in DU.

NQ, have you ever held a bullet - or a box of bullets - in your hand? Ammo is heavy. The lightest smokeless powders come in at about the density of water - 1 kg/L. The rest of the round is made of lead, steel, and copper. I bet you know the densities of steel and copper since they're in game an you got them about right. Steel is 8 kg/L. I don't remember copper, but it's denser than steel iirc. You can't take a bunch of stuff heavier than water and put it together so it's lighter than water. (That's the Theorem of the Mean for those of you who didn't pay attention in math class.)

There's a good reason that ammo is heavy... a slug of metal does a lot more damage when it hits than does, say, water. That's why we let kids shoot water guns at each other. And these bullets are 1/9 the mass of the same volume of water. You probably wouldn't notice getting hit by this.

I hope this was an accident and not another concession to whiny PVP carebears. Please make the ammo a little more realistic.

There has to be some kind of half assed balance in the game.

It comes down to:

• Attack or defense element
  • Ammo or shield enegy cells
  • Containers or Weapon Crates

You shouldnt be able to do it all on a ship without sacrificing something.

• Weapons or defense elements should weigh the same
  • Ammo for weapons or shield cells for defense should weigh the same
  • Having to choose between containers or weapon crates and filling it with ore or parts or different ammo should all weigh relatively the same.
  • And then building the atmo/space frame around it with as many addons for AGG, Warp, performance parts, etc on top of that.

There should be some kind of half ass balance where whatever play style you want you can build a frame around it as a hauler platform, defense platform, assault platform, a mining platform, and you cant do it all at once and you have to leverage attack with defense or performance and having consiquences on what you choose.

Edited by Warlander

5 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Hauling a load of ammo, I noticed that it's gone back to being weightless... well nearly massless. Specifically, DU ammo specific gravity is 0.11 (water's specific gravity is 1.0). Sorry couldn't resist that once I started the sentence with "specifically". That translates to 0.11 kg/L, making it about the lightest thing in DU.

NQ, have you ever held a bullet - or a box of bullets - in your hand? Ammo is heavy. The lightest smokeless powders come in at about the density of water - 1 kg/L. The rest of the round is made of lead, steel, and copper. I bet you know the densities of steel and copper since they're in game an you got them about right. Steel is 8 kg/L. I don't remember copper, but it's denser than steel iirc. You can't take a bunch of stuff heavier than water and put it together so it's lighter than water. (That's the Theorem of the Mean for those of you who didn't pay attention in math class.)

There's a good reason that ammo is heavy... a slug of metal does a lot more damage when it hits than does, say, water. That's why we let kids shoot water guns at each other. And these bullets are 1/9 the mass of the same volume of water. You probably wouldn't notice getting hit by this.

I hope this was an accident and not another concession to whiny PVP carebears. Please make the ammo a little more realistic.

Agreed that ammo does need to be heavy but please make sure it’s balanced when weight is applied. (Rails should be more heavy per round compared to Cannon round for example). 

18 hours ago, Physics said:

Agreed that ammo does need to be heavy but please make sure it’s balanced when weight is applied. (Rails should be more heavy per round compared to Cannon round for example). 

If its made out of lead then it should weigh the same as gold imo.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:40 AM, Warlander said:

If its made out of lead then it should weigh the same as gold imo.

Well, lead at 11 kg/L is much less dense than gold. But depleted uranium rounds exist in RL (for shooting through tank armor) and that's just a smidgeon lighter than gold (19.1 kg/L vs 19.3 kg/L)

Yeah just looked it up just remember all the stories of gold bars that were really lead when they drill into them to see like the federal reserve selling gold bars to china.

But I do think NQ needs to consider weight by caliber or pound shell size for machine guns/cannons, rail guns and missles.

Typical air-to-air missiles[edit]

Weight Rocket Name Country of origin Period of manufacture and use Warhead weight Warhead types Range Speed
43.5 kg Molniya R-60 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia
1974- 3 kg expanding-rod warhead 8 km Mach 2.7
82.7 kg K-5 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union
1957-1977 13 kg High explosive warhead 2–6 km Mach 2.33
86 kg Raytheon AIM-9 Sidewinder 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1956- 9.4 kg Annular blast fragmentation 18 km Mach 2.5
87.4 kg Diehl IRIS-T 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 2005- 11.4 kg HE/fragmentation 25 km Mach 3
88 kg MBDA AIM-132 ASRAAM 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 2002- 10 kg Blast/fragmentation 50 km Mach 3+
89 kg Matra R550 Magic/Magic 2 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 1976-1986 (Magic)
1986- (Magic 2)
12.5 kg Blast/fragmentation 15 km Mach 2.7
105 kg Vympel R-73 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 1982- 7.4 kg Fragmentation 20–40 km Mach 2.5
112 kg MBDA MICA-EM/-IR 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 1996- (EM)
2000- (IR)
12 kg Blast/fragmentation
(focused splinters HE)
> 60 km Mach 4
118 kg Rafael Derby 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel 1990- 23 kg Blast/fragmentation 50 km Mach 4
136 kg de Havilland Firestreak 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 1957-1988 22.7 kg Annular Blast Fragmentation 6.4 km Mach 3
152 kg Raytheon AIM-120D AMRAAM 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 2008 18 kg Blast/fragmentation 160 km Mach 4
152 kg Raytheon AIM-120C AMRAAM 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1996 18 kg Blast/fragmentation 105 km Mach 4
152 kg Raytheon AIM-120B AMRAAM 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1994- 23 kg Blast/fragmentation 48 km Mach 4
154 kg Hawker Siddeley Red Top 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 1964-1988 31 kg Annular Blast Fragmentation 12 km Mach 3.2
154 kg Astra Missile 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 2010- 15 kg HE fragmentation directional warhead 80-110+ km Mach 4.5+
175 kg Vympel R-77 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 1994- 22 kg Blast/fragmentation 200 km Mach 4.5
180 kg PL-12 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 2007-   ? 70-100+ km Mach 4
190 kg MBDA Meteor 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png Europe 2016- ? Blast/fragmentation 200 km[26] Mach 4+
220 kg AAM-4 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan 1999- ? Directional explosive warhead 100+ km Mach 4-5
253 kg R-27 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union
1983– 39 kg Blast/fragmentation, or continuous rod 80–130 km Mach 4,5
450–470 kg AIM-54 Phoenix 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1974–2004 61 kg High explosive 190 km Mach 5
475 kg R-40 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union
1970- 38–100 kg Blast fragmentation 50–80 km Mach 2.2-4.5
490 kg R-33 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union
1981- 47.5 kg HE/fragmentation warhead 304 km Mach 4.5-6
600 kg R-37 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union
1989- 60 kg HE fragmentation directional warhead 150-400+ km Mach 6
748 kg K-100 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia/23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 2010- 50 kg HE fragmentation directional warhead 200-400+ km

Mach 3.3

An example of what air to air missles weigh. I couldnt find proper shell weights for cannons but just the brass 16in guns weight 1t and idepending on the high impact or high capacity rounds to explode on impact or breach armor were 5-6ft tall and weighed base of 1.5t and not sure on the high impact version but it prolly weighed 1.6+t.