"Second Life in space"?

aliensalmon

How would you feel if the development of Dual Universe was mainly focused on making a "Second Life in space" kinda deal?

-In addition to building static structures, users can customize their avatars in greater detail (even if it doesn't make sense in lore, like being helmetless in space.)

-Users can submit their designs not only for avatar customization but decorative "Elements" as well. (more user-created content than just buildings)

-Overall, more of a focus on socialization (hence..."civilization" building). PVP, mining, industry, and stuff like that would not necessarily be omitted, though.

-Things like local text chat, emotes, and voice chat would be implemented.

-I'd assume it's easier to develop and implement ideas in the game because we already have Second Life itself, anyway.

Yeah, I'll probably be lit up for even suggesting this but I'm all outta ideas to discuss....

This is one of my big complaints about DU.

It is kinda telling how static and how little "next gen" functionality DU actually has, when a game launched in 2003 is more or less beating it in every aspect.

Not saying Second Life is perfect by any means. But still.

SMH sometimes you think you've seen peak hyperbole and nothing can surprise you anymore, then somebody comes around to say "second life is beating DU in every aspect"

Man I'd like to see you in particular spend a month in SL without a complaint ?

I like SL and I like building space ships in SL. It's easier to build space ships in DU and flight model is better. I'm perfectly happy with DU as SL in space.

JC did say once that it's not SL in space, because SL doesn't really have any game play loops... but I guess DU meets that test pretty well now, lol. To be SL in space, DU would need to add tools for players to make game play loops. SL has some pretty amazing player-made game loops.

The setup is wrong in DU for allowing full customization like SL with a voxel based environment.

Though DU could really benefit from some kind of Voxel to Mesh baking tool that when you arent in build mode it is basically all baked back into a solid one piece mesh to save performance overall.

I think while some cool stuff has been added by player content developers the way it is creates more lag than its worth with all the systems layered on top of each other and giving us more options to add in unoptimized player build ships would run against what DU is trying to do if everyone has all sorts of custom ships outside the engineering meta or just adding in player customization.

I think there should be suits for the different classes like miner, industrialist, pilot, and fighter pilot with different basic looks but nothing more then that since having all the same avatar saves performance without the gear bloat and more than you need to customize. The tools and parts/elements are the customization in this game even if we dont have other skins to make them unique vs using the same color picking you can with player customization pri/sec/tri+ color schemes on parts since really you are just picking the albedo layer it renders.

Personally I wish they would remove the ability to script what you want and have players work together to subit and vet the cosing and scripts that exist in the game or to take the submissions and make them better and actually make it part of the game or to have players make the elements and submit them so they can be added to the game so that it works with the game coding and more optimized vs the limited amount you can do serverside in general vs clientside.

Folks, I honestly don't get it I'm not trying to be facetious here.

How are these not game-loops?
-Grab mission, fly out, deliver mission, recalibrate, take ore, accept mission, deliver mission, bring back ore, rinse repeat.

-Acquire target, fight, win, loot, rinse repeat.
-Search asteroid, grab all you can, GTFO or fight, rinse repeat.

There are plenty of valid criticisms, the gameplay is poor in dopamine, prone to long idling phases, punishing to learn (I avoid mistakes way too hard, haven't tried out so much stuff yet), poorly balanced, still lacking in features, whatever... But how can you say it's devoid of gameplay loops?

I'll be honest, I am not a programmer, but with lua, is it actually impossible to do boardgames, poor man versions of amogus, fall guy or squidgame or whatever... can't LUA send convenient invites to discord servers via the ingame local chat? (I don't like the software either but there is allready most of the infos there) Has anybody ever tried building or carving a surf map? I can't imagine all these avenues are entirely out of reach, but I'm asking earnestly. I did hear somewhere that LUA still can't interact with wallets, that's a shame though I do get the concerns. Also it seems to me that we would need LUA to be able to affect RDMS dynamically, to get to the really funky stuff, another scarily potent tool. But there might also allways
be LUA workarounds that rely on a bit of user cooperation, or their own tokens. Again I don't know. Please tell me.