Player run game? In what way?

Anopheles

DU was sold as a player run simulation where you could work as anything from a CEO of s megacorp right down to  a space bum or security guard in a multisystem universe.

In truth, after many clawbacks and shrinkings of ambition we're stuck in one small system and what else?

We have taxes imposed in us from the Devs, but we can't set taxes on our own hexes.

The Devs are auto HQing tiles from above because non players who don't understand "dynamic universe" might not want to build some constructs again if they ever come back.

Top down and huge safe zones implemented for people who didn't understand that "a dynamic universe with PvP" game might be dynamic and have PvP in it.

The refusal of NQ to allow any sort of player implemented rules or allow players to take responsibility for their own safety or the safety of their constructs mean the game is nothing more than Minecraft with less sense of existential dread (and much less to do).

100% on point in frustration.

- Taxes are still unbalanced
- HQ'ed tiles, are knee jerk solution to players being unable to return/rejoin.
- Need more incentive to leave safe zone, take the risk honestly.
- Game scope does seem to be reducing but necessary to secure games future.

I am hoping they will take December to balance taxes, look at player proposed solutions first then move onto some of these other things.

Outside the blue circle, where its "suppose to be pvp zone one day" those planets, and even the moons, should come up with a good number about how many territories an org has to own to get bonus's.  One big one could be anyone else who isnt in that org, the taxes go to who "owns that planet/moon".  or even 50 to alphelia 50% to the org.  Whatever works.  And it can be something along the lines of min tiles needed for planet 500, and also a over 25% of the total owned.  These numbers can be looked at to see what would work and be balanced to achieve.  And there could be other bonus's to each planet moon specifically, stuff of industry, applied bonus to advanced+ indy units, higher yield, or whatever.  or even powergrid if they go down that route.  These would lend more credibility to the game being "player ran".  

Its honestly the community who is also forcing NQ.

So many comments of people who are begging for this hex-tax. All so they can loot others, dont care about builds (or what a former player wanted to become) 

Its al just conquer, destroy and hate for other players. No community that wants to build a new universe together.

Travelled for 10.000 years only to start making war in another galaxy.

Its human nature to destroy things, even in an intended building game.

What you can become is a destroyer, looting thief, an industrialist a mission-man (or missionairy) an asteroid tracker or a rich aristocrat.

PvP players want real PvP so they can honestly declare war on another player to take their tile on a PvP planet after a good fight.

PvE players want to be able to effortlessly loot the belongings of their neighbor safe zone which stops play. But don't want PvP players to have a PvP play zone ...

So Dual Universe doesn't need mandatory game content, but proper game mechanics that are fun and players are really allowed to "play". 

Good:
New content, something new to explore, whether new planets with new resources or really new species as NPC enemies to fight, new dungeons, raids, arenas, battlegrounds, new engines with new effect (rotors?) more solar systems, community projects like big stargates,....

Bad:
More taxes, more repair, just to maintain existing, because it is not a new great content, but a capture in a boring continuous loop. Means it's not playing, it's a commitment and I don't need a game for that, real life already has something like that to offer - only better.

Translate from:

Dual Universe braucht also keine obligatorischen Spielinhalte, sondern richtige Spielmechaniken, die Spaß machen und die Spieler wirklich "spielen" dürfen.

Gut:
Neue Inhalte, etwas Neues zum Erkunden, ob neue Planeten mit neuen Ressourcen oder wirklich neue Spezies als NPC-Feinde zu bekämpfen, neue Dungeons, Raids, Arenen, Schlachtfelder, neue Engines mit neuem Effekt (Rotoren?) mehr Sonnensysteme, Community-Projekte wie große Sternentore,....

Schlecht:
Mehr Steuern, mehr Reparatur, nur um bestehende zu erhalten, denn es handelt sich nicht um einen neuen großartigen Inhalt, sondern um eine Erfassung in einer langweiligen Dauerschleife. Bedeutet, dass es nicht spielt, es ist eine Verpflichtung und ich brauche kein Spiel dafür, das wirkliche Leben hat so etwas bereits zu bieten - nur besser.

Edited by Zarcata

It's funny because players have nothing to "run" in this game -- the entity with all the power is actually an AI government that controls all the markets and collects weekly taxes. The AI that apparently controls who you can shoot and where. The AI that controls all the schematics that drive industry. The AI responsible for seeding all the quanta into the game through daily bonuses or missions.  

Rather than feeling empowered in a "civilization sandbox", you feel chained to mindless chores.

You aren't "running" anything, you're a cog in Aphelia's machine. 

NQ has made a game with no NPCs...yet somehow, the AI is still the most powerful entity that controls the world far more than any player. 

I was under the impression that a lot of these artificial Aphelia restrictions are placeholders to keep the game balanced until more immersive, emergent gameplay loops are added like player run markets, territory warfare, electricity, etc

27 minutes ago, Squidrew_ said:

I was under the impression that a lot of these artificial Aphelia restrictions are placeholders to keep the game balanced until more immersive, emergent gameplay loops are added like player run markets, territory warfare, electricity, etc

Maybe, but it's difficult to know where things are going because that isn't something NQ discusses (beyond releasing roadmaps). 

Those emergent loops that are so vital to the game shouldn't be mere placeholders after all this time...if they are, when do we get actual mechanics?

If Industry, PvP, and the economy are still placeholder that means the majority of this game's core concepts are basically prototypes -- not a great place to be after nearly a decade in development! 

After this long, it's kind of fair to assume the mechanics we have today are close to what we'll have at release. 

I think the idea that "players will run everything" was always just that -- one of many random ideas that DU presented, but not a fully baked concept. 

1 hour ago, Squidrew_ said:

3 years ago I also still believed that. Now, not so much any more..

This game could have been so f*** great. But instead it is just an empty shell.

Take for example the huge underground cave systems on Alioth. I still remember how exiting it was exploring them fist times. But, nothing there. Just empty caves..

Now imagine exploring those caves, turning a corner and finding something like this. Now that would get your heart racing I bet.

And as a creative builder these are the kinda of player created quests/mission/mini games whatever things I would like to make. But NQ never gave me the chance to make anything other that static useless constructs with superficial cosmetic scripts.

hands.jpg

On 12/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, Anopheles said:

DU was sold as a player run simulation where you could work as anything from a CEO of s megacorp right down to  a space bum or security guard in a multisystem universe.

Well a lot of players have run away from the game.