UNSUB PURGE: The Many Benefits of Territory Abandonment!

Megabosslord

3 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Use a radar. If you have a radar you can fly in pitch black but avoid them. Just because you don't like the solution doesn't mean there isn't one.  Radar is a big part of gameplay. If you aren't smart enough to use one that's on you, vast majority use a radar just like vast majority think the nebula is ugly as shit. Also why NQ has already confirmed its changing in some capacity.  

Tried that - the icons rendered into the screen and minimap at the same time as the voxels, and just as I passed them by. But I agree that is where the solution would lie - buy an in-game device that solves an in-game problem, and I'm glad to hear it's to be fixed.

This thread is full of epically bad takes.

Tall structures.   Take responsibility for yourself. Take notes, warn others. Asking Nq to set artificial limits is just awful. As bad as them setting arbitrary taxes which you people are also against.

Salvaging could be a fun pve experience but you guys also want stupid artificial and top down restrictions on salvaging for the sake of the microscopic amount of players who can't get in for two weeks plus.  Instead, ask for proactive measures like parking fees for tiles or an insurance payment that prevents salvaging (still top down, yes, but with the possibility of being ported over to players at some time).  Neither of these are better than taking responsibility for where you leave your damn ships.

Whether unsubs result in stuff becoming salvageable is a design and commercial decision to be made in any game with a persistent universe. I myself would be very glad of the disappearance of the permanent flight hazards that wouldn't pass building regulator approval in real life, there being no in-game mechanic for an in-game authority to deal to them.

Regardless of the pros or cons, how this one is being executed favours a subset of players/groups who aren't still recovering from Demeter, and have the capacity and reside in the right time zone to nab them the instant the clock ticks over. For our group, modest size and mostly Australian, that is the most disappointing aspect of the change. And the sudden flood of low-cost materials onto markets likely will put the kaibosh on the financial viability of the mining operation we're building up - we're fair dinkum having a go at the new game mechanics just introduced.

My suggestion to NQ is to make it progressive over time - such as how asteroids spawn, or using a probability each hour or day (Poisson distribution).

6 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

(1) NO MORE SKY GARBAGE

Who wants to pay 1 Mℏ per week for the "fun" to remove them completely? Most players will just grab the most valuable elements and materials and leave everything else where it is. That could make the situation even worse.

(2) NEW ORE: Randomly unlocking tiles when a player's claim expires

At least not for the planets in the safe zone. Valuable tiles are so rare that they will remain claimed forever.

(3) ACCESS TO MARKET

Same as above.

(4) MOST UNSUBS ARE GONE FOR GOOD

That's indeed a valid point. However, that would have been possible without tax.

(5) LOOT AS PVE

[...]

(6) NO WINDFALL RICHES

That's why (1) will fail. People will loot as long as it is fun and worth the tax. Than it gets old and the garbage remains.

I doubt anybody is going to put down one of their limited HQ on some salvaged tile... They might just take the valuables and be too lazy to remove voxels, but in that case somebody else will be able to salavage voxels a month later. My only anxiety is the "abandoned construct" clause, but those can be claimed by coring them right? So basically cleaning up voxels after a thief won't even require paying for a claim, or am I misjudging how salvaging works? (I never did salvage anything abandoned)

I for one am looking forward to salvaging in two weeks, it's a good method to incentivize players to remove clutter. I got my sights set on a few tiles for their placement or because they look rich, but I doubt I will systematically dismantle a maximum of bases. Any skytower I get to claim though I'll rip out of the ground, I hate them they are ugly. I'm against build limits though, arbitrary restrictions like that kill immersion. We can improve the game though in that regard: the yellow no docking effect should be customisable so a player can make them show from further afar, possibly scaling the distance according your movement speed. Also the general accuracy of that yellow glow could be improved.

Over the time I've had 3 people play with me/ live beside me in the game. 3 times I got them on their feet and taught them everything I know. Lately I've been super forthcoming offering to get their stuff to sanctuary where it's safe forever even if I die tomorrow... It's incredibly difficult to make them give a shit, only the requisition function motivated one out of three to login 30min so we can fly his stuff to sanctuary.

Ironically I'd have no issue to make them all agree the game would be better served with a wipe; eventhough I know pertinently how they'd throw the towel after looking the rates of their MU for half a week.

6 hours ago, Anopheles said:

This thread is full of epically bad takes.

Tall structures.   Take responsibility for yourself. Take notes, warn others. Asking Nq to set artificial limits is just awful. As bad as them setting arbitrary taxes which you people are also against.

Salvaging could be a fun pve experience but you guys also want stupid artificial and top down restrictions on salvaging for the sake of the microscopic amount of players who can't get in for two weeks plus.  Instead, ask for proactive measures like parking fees for tiles or an insurance payment that prevents salvaging (still top down, yes, but with the possibility of being ported over to players at some time).  Neither of these are better than taking responsibility for where you leave your damn ships.

This is the road taxes take you down in games.

Sales Tax

Property Tax

Parking meters

Rent

If NQ didnt allow people to haord as much or gain as much as they did sales tax would have been enough but since they dont want destructive elements being the sink to keep parts and ore moving we get Property Tax. So now you have to sell what other people dont need or taking mon more tiles to get more ore to make parts people dont need. 

Or now that you have to pay tax you need to cover it by charging rent or parking fees to the people selling in your digital bazaar. They could have given us player markets and give the hosting org a cut of it but instead we get property taxes which forces you to sell more of whatever you can.

At the same time you have missions that just cut right to the point of bypassing property tax since you get more ore than you can mine with a mining operation and there  is no selling mechanic to just get ore or parts out of the game flooded with hoarded parts and items.

NQ wants to dole out punishment chains and loops with sinks its just finding the balance and adding the right ones to keep the game going smoothly. Right now you dont get enough ore like you used to with weekend asteroid runs and the only other options are to kick rocks, play a mini game which is the real money maker over a tile every 1.5 days, and selling things you mine, process, or craft. Its certainly much more complex with the Industry than it needs to be and not taking out enough elements in the game or constructs to make salvaging more of a thing rather than a donner party lord of the flies distopian civ situation. Combat is supposed to do that and if you shoot someone down and gravity throws the ship onto the surface of the planet like in WW2 dog fights then you better follow the ship and find the crash site. It shouldnt be able NQ economically sabotaging players every chance they get to make salvaging a thing if they have never done anything about the markets before wiping territories clean with tax defaults and foreclosure.

This is why it's so difficult to take the suggestions seriously... I get it I'm pretty displeased with my own ability to formulate suggestions well, it's difficult to talk of design concepts...

But so often the suggestions do not accomplish what OP says they will. PVP is not a sink, PVP is redistribution. Fundamentally different economic effects.

16 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

This is why it's so difficult to take the suggestions seriously... I get it I'm pretty displeased with my own ability to formulate suggestions well, it's difficult to talk of design concepts...

But so often the suggestions do not accomplish what OP says they will. PVP is not a sink, PVP is redistribution. Fundamentally different economic effects.

Economics are what scale PvP is allowed to happen if the progression to be able to get enough ore to build a base, industry, mining opperation, with different ships build for asteroid mining, logistics, or mission running cost a month or 6 months worth of ingame waiting to even build let alone opperate in this new system with taxes.

But it comes back to why are we paying taxes each week when it should be a yearly cycle. Whatever system of solar calander standard based on Alioths solar year on all planets/moons should be longer than a week and possible once per month on how NQ wants to measure an ingame year of gameplay. A week is like every season in a 4 season based year.

Its like in RL where you pay taxes or register your vehicles and you pay them once per year not 52 times a year even if each week represented a year with the day night cycles being like a month in game or something its too much too fast and wipes people off the map too fast.

PvP in this game along with building were supposed to work together to build military bases anywhere outside of sanctuary andhaving something to fight over with all this ore they let people mine. Since they didnt add PvP to control the amount of things people have in game they doubled down with bubbles..

By not coming out with PvP cores for dynamic or static constructs once you got the to point you should be fighting or that there shouldnt be as much massive industries as there currently are all over the game NQ should have made it so that if you want to craft top tier items which require PvP cores to protect that are open to attack at any time with auto defenses but active pilot mechanics since the AA side of things does not really need a person manning air defenses 24/7 in the future that just needs automated ground defenses that shoots at any PvP dynamic core that comes in range that allows you to PvP on any bubble planet you willingly opt into putting your mining opperations for top tier ores or factories on the line as the push to get people to fight but also have something to fall back on if it goes sideways and you have no pvp cores.

Destrucible elements on L/XL parts worth millions to hundreds of millions per part or ship leaving the game does the same thing as taxing everyone 1mil per tile in the long run if better PvP were available along with crashes. Like in any game or PvP game it should be equipping yourself for combat and being prepared to lose whatever you are willing to lose as your own personal risk based decision and not NQ arbitrarily taking your ability to fight and lose items, quanta, or property at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Unless players are in excess of 5 HQ tiles nothing will be "wiped".

1 million a year? It now costs a mere 75 billions to monopolize Lacobus for a year.

Make elements fully destructible? Congratulations you removed the incentive from PVP, now we can only pew pew out of sadism.

I dont see how atmo pvp will happen over crappy territories.  all the tiles run too close together.  Most times one is good than the next.  You gonna wage war next to your neighbor because he mines 20L more malachite then you per hour?  Sure there are some t4/t5 ones.  We need other built in reasons.  Like rare/exotic industry not even working in the safe zone.  stuff of that nature.  Or if your org has X - % of the tiles owned on the outer planets, anyone else pays their 1mil taxes to that org.  Something different besides ore.  We arent gonna wage war over shitty ore.

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

I dont see how atmo pvp will happen over crappy territories. 

I agree without better gameplay mechanics/incentives it will just be used a way to troll people you don't like lol.