UNSUB PURGE: The Many Benefits of Territory Abandonment!

Megabosslord

There's some debate over on Reddit about the merits of forcing abandonment of tiles for inactive players. 

Here's my list of reasons it's a GREAT idea:

(1) NO MORE SKY GARBAGE: Before the advent of the space elevator many players built large towers to get to space, now an endless hazard when flying around. As unsub tiles are claimed and their towers demolished, we can get rid of the sky garbage. Like this monstrosity that has been left abandoned for a year:

image0.png

(2) NEW ORE: Randomly unlocking tiles when a player's claim expires - not just now but forever - means new ore deposits will open up indefinitely, allowing new players access to mining. Currently, rich deposits are already tied up by those who moved fast after Demeter.

(3) ACCESS TO MARKET: New players getting around in speeders need proximity to market - much more than advanced players with many large ships. Right now a new player can't get a tile close to market to set up their base on most worlds - esp. Alioth. Opening up tiles near market will greatly improve gameplay for new players.

(4) MOST UNSUBS ARE GONE FOR GOOD: Folks keep saying that losing tiles will stop unsubs coming back. I've contacted several unsubs on Discord to try to negotiate cleaning up the death traps they left behind, or to allow me to expand my base into an adjacent tile. None were interested, even if I offered to pay their sub for them. One said he'd come back only if I paid him a large sum of money in Starbase. They've had plenty of warning. More press and comms than any other change before incl. Twitter, Reddit, Discord, forums, email notifications for a month, plus independent coverage:

https://massivelyop.com/2021/11/19/dual-universes-demeter-update-will-introduce-territory-upkeep-costs/

https://mmos.com/news/dual-universe-will-be-taxing-territories-come-the-demeter-update

https://game-news24.com/2021/11/24/dual-universe-s-new-demeter-update-has-automatic-mining-land-taxes-and-visual-improvements/

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/dual-universe-adding-territory-upkeep-fees-to-prevent-land-grabs-maintain-economy-2000123692

Anyone who wanted to mothball their stuff has done it by now, or had friends or an org in the game to do it for them. The current and new player experience is more important than wishful thinking on returning unsubs. 

(5) LOOT AS PVE: Rolling the dice on a paid territory claim in exchange for possible loot is the closest thing we've had to PVE since the old puzzle ruins and shipwrecks - that we haven't seen any of in forever. For those who like buried treasure, there's the extra fun that they'll need to dig for some of it as well:

image.png.50c3eabbd818b933d84a6c45735d76db.png

I wish all those PVEers who want to go dumpster diving good fortune, because...

(6) NO WINDFALL RICHES: Concerns that looting will create a windfall of resources forgets the fact you have to pay for the territory unit and tile claim. And that we're only talking about statics, not ships which contain the bulk of valuable elements. Aside from ore left in containers looting won't bring big windfalls and at current prices it will often be less than the cost of claiming the tile - making it a risky enterprise. I say go for it, and again, good luck. This could become a long-term pass time as new tiles keep opening up in future.

Personally, I think the unsub purge is brilliant. I can't wait.

What do you think?

[EDIT: With NQs 11th hour back-flip on this - again - just hours after this post, I’m out. ~1000hrs in since alpha, I’m done. This was the only good thing about Demeter and they stealth-nerfed it. It’s a bad call, but worse, we can’t trust a word NQ say. Bye folks.] 

image.png

Edited by Megabosslord

How about you try to play the game as it was intended to be played and provide feedback about it?

This is beta. Its a time to experiance the game and provide feedback. 

You are expected to not find any territory available near a market, and deal with that. 

Lets say that NQ deletes 1000 subs and frees territories, how fake is your evaluation of the game and its performance if you are living in a reality that will not match the crowded end game? 

Same with load because of bases and ships standing idle. 

Same as space towers. 

Do those things decrease your game quality GOOD, now provide feedback about it. 

If the game ever takes off with a huge population, those things will happen and NQ needs to hear from them now. 

So your crappie game play experiance has nothing to do with the game not deleting abandoned stuff, but with the game design not providing a good experience when too many players exist. 

Thats why NQ should never delete anything in this beta. For ppl like you to test the game under realistic circumstances. 

Also, anyone with a valid subscription should never get their stuff deleted, no matter how much you want to salvage it... 

Again, if you have a problem making quanta, getting elements, having interesting stuff to do, dont call for salvage into idle accounts, simply report your issues with the feedback tools so we can all have a great game without those issues in the future. 

1 minute ago, Creator said:

I do think we need to do something about build height. That is my feedback on this thread.

The problem is "what".. 

A simple limitation?

1000m? To allow for agg parking? 

Below 1000m?

I dont see a big issue with tall structures, the issue i see is with poor rendering that leads to poor pilot awareness of those structures. 

Structure stability could be a thing. Making tall structures require very large bases and eliminating floating blocks. 

But this would require a huge ammount of new and hard coding. 

Maybe rules could force players to make the structures with allot more width instead of 1 single voxel, that way rendering at a higher distance and being clearly visible. 

I just think the you miss two payments and your out at the end of the month if things are going on in RL or you get busy is a bad model for new player and existing player retention if everything you built is swept away and gone with nothing to come back to.

Tax rates are too steep as is only just to get rid of quanta and push people into owning territory they dont need so you can launcer money from ore into quanta to pay taxes and giving abysmal ore rates is the only reason we have taxes when Territory Wars was always the answe to wiping people or large properties off the map and not taxes.

The satic nature of the ore system makes it so that it never changes and never gets better so if the ore market tanks below 20h a lot of people will end up not being able to pay for tiles. That is also no real reason to erase peoples hard work over either.

And besides the taxes should be two weeks or at the very least having the machines timed with the tax cycle to last a week per charge is in order so you can actually get ore over the week and limited to being able to keep about 30 machines charged per week for a week for a cluster of tiles at the very least.

There are a lot better sinks for quanta they could have done like constructs or if you miss taxes it does 10% damage to everything in the tile requiring repairs. Or if you miss 10 tax cycles then you could come back in 3.5 to 6 months later before your property is actually salvageable when the cores rust away doe to not paying, paying taxes, or at the very least fixing your place or allowing players to just take the damage hits to pay in scrap as a substitue to the tax system to take ore out of the game instead of flooding markets.

This is not the right way to make salvaging a thing.

They can just as easily spawn salvageable parts instead of ground rocks to find any element in the game if you are observant even if an XL space engine falling out of the sky spawning in the place of ground rocks and harvestable with a harvest too to pick it up would be a lot better than looting peoples tiles not playing for a month.

They could just randomly spawn any ship BP in the game as a ground rock spawn and use a self destruct sequence if necessary as a script to blow up the ship once the blueprint is spawned on the ground.

Long before people lose their entire work in this game the first thing that should be lootable or salvageable is the Markets vs Territories period. If anything should be liquidated it should be the cores at markets.

And besides Cores in addition to TUs should all be taxed as it is how much you are able to bring into the game that also makes it unplayable and taxes are better directed as a quanta sink to those who actually have the most territory and cores being used in the game and is the way to make taxes do what they are intended to do.

I agree, 1 voxel wide towers shouldn't be a think. Technically, render issues are the true problem, but a harder problem to solve given all the various hardware configs people run. A building height cap would probably be the easiest solution.

30 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

How about you try to play the game as it was intended to be played and provide feedback about it?

This is beta. Its a time to experiance the game and provide feedback. 

You are expected to not find any territory available near a market, and deal with that. 

Lets say that NQ deletes 1000 subs and frees territories, how fake is your evaluation of the game and its performance if you are living in a reality that will not match the crowded end game? 

Same with load because of bases and ships standing idle. 

Same as space towers. 

Do those things decrease your game quality GOOD, now provide feedback about it. 

If the game ever takes off with a huge population, those things will happen and NQ needs to hear from them now. 

So your crappie game play experiance has nothing to do with the game not deleting abandoned stuff, but with the game design not providing a good experience when too many players exist. 

Thats why NQ should never delete anything in this beta. For ppl like you to test the game under realistic circumstances. 

Also, anyone with a valid subscription should never get their stuff deleted, no matter how much you want to salvage it... 

Again, if you have a problem making quanta, getting elements, having interesting stuff to do, dont call for salvage into idle accounts, simply report your issues with the feedback tools so we can all have a great game without those issues in the future. 

You realise this is actually happening, right? And I'm just endorsing the decision NQ has already made. Try to keep up.

11 minutes ago, Creator said:

I do think we need to do something about build height. That is my feedback on this thread.

Yeah I think that players should only be able to build to like 200-1250m and creating a no fly zone between 1.2km-5km or whatever height space begins on a planet. Or if you build in the restricted area it has some kind of tax penalty or something to try and keep the skies clear or forcing orgs to get elevators that arent towers unless they want to build in restricted airspace. I think if another player crashed into your tower(s0 in restricted airspace and their ship blows up and kills the pilot it should act like an L size weapon and blow a hole in the side and damaging constructs or blowing a hole in voxels wether itis intentional or otherwise the scope would depend on the core size, weight, speed, etc or how much damage was done to the ship. to stop break boxing and having a collision system so that if you fly into the ground when you crash it puts a crater in the ground if it is a full wreck.

7 minutes ago, Warlander said:

I just think the you miss two payments and your out at the end of the month if things are going on in RL or you get busy is a bad model for new player and existing player retention if everything you built is swept away and gone with nothing to come back to.

Tax rates are too steep as is only just to get rid of quanta and push people into owning territory they dont need so you can launcer money from ore into quanta to pay taxes and giving abysmal ore rates is the only reason we have taxes when Territory Wars was always the answe to wiping people or large properties off the map and not taxes.

The satic nature of the ore system makes it so that it never changes and never gets better so if the ore market tanks below 20h a lot of people will end up not being able to pay for tiles. That is also no real reason to erase peoples hard work over either.

And besides the taxes should be two weeks or at the very least having the machines timed with the tax cycle to last a week per charge is in order so you can actually get ore over the week and limited to being able to keep about 30 machines charged per week for a week for a cluster of tiles at the very least.

There are a lot better sinks for quanta they could have done like constructs or if you miss taxes it does 10% damage to everything in the tile requiring repairs. Or if you miss 10 tax cycles then you could come back in 3.5 to 6 months later before your property is actually salvageable when the cores rust away doe to not paying, paying taxes, or at the very least fixing your place or allowing players to just take the damage hits to pay in scrap as a substitue to the tax system to take ore out of the game instead of flooding markets.

This is not the right way to make salvaging a thing.

They can just as easily spawn salvageable parts instead of ground rocks to find any element in the game if you are observant even if an XL space engine falling out of the sky spawning in the place of ground rocks and harvestable with a harvest too to pick it up would be a lot better than looting peoples tiles not playing for a month.

They could just randomly spawn any ship BP in the game as a ground rock spawn and use a self destruct sequence if necessary as a script to blow up the ship once the blueprint is spawned on the ground.

Long before people lose their entire work in this game the first thing that should be lootable or salvageable is the Markets vs Territories period. If anything should be liquidated it should be the cores at markets.

And besides Cores in addition to TUs should all be taxed as it is how much you are able to bring into the game that also makes it unplayable and taxes are better directed as a quanta sink to those who actually have the most territory and cores being used in the game and is the way to make taxes do what they are intended to do.

You can deposit ~3 mths worth of tax in the tile account. That's plenty long enough to come back and top the account up again.

1 minute ago, Megabosslord said:

Try to keep up.

My statement is a valid opinion being against your sole argument or against something already decided by NQ. 

NQ should not wipe or "abandon" any thing in the with the sole intention of reducing load.

Because they are just dodging the problem. A badly crafted mechanic that does not support a large population. 

3 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

My statement is a valid opinion being against your sole argument or against something already decided by NQ. 

NQ should not wipe or "abandon" any thing in the with the sole intention of reducing load.

Because they are just dodging the problem. A badly crafted mechanic that does not support a large population. 

You mean my 6 arguments. Did you even read the whole post?

1 minute ago, Megabosslord said:

You can deposit ~3 mths worth of tax in the tile account. That's plenty long enough to come back and top the account up again.

This is a beta after all and even if you pay for a 6 month sub you should be able to front load 6 months or 1 year of tax and even if you dont pay the tax there is no reason to immediatly tear everything down and loot hard work or vast sums of money without ever firing a shot. in territory wars.

Many people come back to check out the updates like every 6 months when the decent sized patches hit to test and see if its worth coming back to play DU. What is the point in coming back if everything is gone you worked for or some new feature gets added that makes DU fun to play again.

How are we supposed to build a society if everything is erased and looted that fast.

Even typical forecosures take a year to kick you out of your house if you can pay taxes. It should be the same here if we have to deal with this IRS sim.

21 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

The problem is "what".. 

A simple limitation?

1000m? To allow for agg parking? 

Below 1000m?

I dont see a big issue with tall structures, the issue i see is with poor rendering that leads to poor pilot awareness of those structures. 

Structure stability could be a thing. Making tall structures require very large bases and eliminating floating blocks. 

But this would require a huge ammount of new and hard coding. 

Maybe rules could force players to make the structures with allot more width instead of 1 single voxel, that way rendering at a higher distance and being clearly visible. 

All you have to do is use the light from the nebula and you will never crash again. Your words.

17 minutes ago, Warlander said:

This is a beta after all and even if you pay for a 6 month sub you should be able to front load 6 months or 1 year of tax and even if you dont pay the tax there is no reason to immediatly tear everything down and loot hard work or vast sums of money without ever firing a shot. in territory wars.

Many people come back to check out the updates like every 6 months when the decent sized patches hit to test and see if its worth coming back to play DU. What is the point in coming back if everything is gone you worked for or some new feature gets added that makes DU fun to play again.

How are we supposed to build a society if everything is erased and looted that fast.

Even typical forecosures take a year to kick you out of your house if you can pay taxes. It should be the same here if we have to deal with this IRS sim.

I guess you never played Atlas. Or Last Oasis. Or Conan Exiles. Or Rust. Most other MMOs with base building give you at most a week on a decay system.

Edited by Megabosslord

11 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

All you have to do is use the light from the nebula and you will never crash again. Your words.

To bad you can't understand that there are complicated problems that require complicated solutions. 

The nebula does help me. But wont do miracles when the game simply does not render. 

24 minutes ago, Megabosslord said:

I guess you never played Atlas. Or Last Oasis. Or Conan Exiles. Or Rust. Most other MMOs with base building give you a week on a decay system.

Its like the endless PvP threads that would pop up constantly asking for the devs essentially asking for your ship to be pretty much given to them with no work. You didnt earn what I gathered and you should not be entitled to it without fighting me and taking it via Territory War. You get Full FFA loot in deep space but not in atmo unless you fight me for what I have earned.

Adding Player vs Economy and Player VS Taxes and a bloated ore market after letting people hoard since the startof beta with infinite ore coming in with minimal effort and time based actuaion unit efficiency checks is hardly a reason to entitle you from tax default or forclosure or an arbitrary month I took off or being out for a couple months from a surgery or whatever reason I decide not to play means you are entitled to steal everything I own. 

I guess it adds the ability to liquidated your assets and come back later or park it all at a market to stay tax free until Demeter blows over or something worse happens in the next update.

And if you are actually going to stop playing the game its better to sell or just delete it all since you are coming back to nothing anyways so why let it fall into anyones hands?

If you want to fight all NQ needs to do is add Pvp cores and let people fight in the atmo if they wish to destroy cores and salvage things. PvP is always the answer and the more places you can fight the more you get to loot until Territory Wars finally if ever drops. But it shouldnt prevent NQ of making at least PvP Dynamic Cores or PvP Static cores to shoot the cores from the sky or vice versa. That makes more sense then the IRS Forclosure gravay train for scavengers getting jackpot payouts without any combat is the wrong way to go.

Edited by Warlander

14 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

To bad you can't understand that there are complicated problems that require complicated solutions. 

The nebula does help me. But wont do miracles when the game simply does not render. 

Use a radar. If you have a radar you can fly in pitch black but avoid them. Just because you don't like the solution doesn't mean there isn't one.  Radar is a big part of gameplay. If you aren't smart enough to use one that's on you, vast majority use a radar just like vast majority think the nebula is ugly as shit. Also why NQ has already confirmed its changing in some capacity.  

43 minutes ago, Warlander said:

dont forget.. we have sanctuary.. and we have HQ tile.. ppl can make them HQ and not pay any and go how long they wanna.. no body tuch them things. And i agree with TS.. Who wanna already doit this things.. who no.. dont thinkso they are come back. 

Have many game where work this system.. include EVE.. everything what not in NPC station - in PVE zone - can be lost .. when you come back.

Edited by Feriniya

4 minutes ago, Feriniya said:

dont forget.. we have sanctuary.. and we have HQ tile.. ppl can make them HQ and not pay any and go how long they wanna.. no body tuch them things. And i agree with TS.. Who wanna already doit this things.. who no.. dont thinkso they are come back. 

Have many game where work this system.. include EVE.. everything what not in NPC station - in PVE zone - can be lost .. when you come back.

Yeah but what is the point of kicking people out of the game if NQ needs subs and this game has like 800 people +/- playing and we still barely even have proper PvP in deep space only so its not like its really even necessary to purge people who might sub later if the game goes live and NQ does not wipe is still a bad idea until there are tons of people playing this game to help NQ to afford to improve things or expand their team to make DU a reality.

5 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Yeah but what is the point of kicking people out of the game if NQ needs subs and this game has like 800 people +/- playing and we still barely even have proper PvP in deep space only so its not like its really even necessary to purge people who might sub later if the game goes live and NQ does not wipe is still a bad idea until there are tons of people playing this game to help NQ to afford to improve things or expand their team to make DU a reality.

Well, not who say that they will return after the wipe, well, there will be a personal wipe for them. They will just come back, because they want a wipe? ... so they will start first :)

No one kicks out anyone, people do not pay a subscription and do not want to play even in theory, if they left and do not even follow the news, to enter and announce their tiles as headquarters, and if a person does not even follow the news, then he does not will be back soon.

I do not see any big problems in this, and I think it is also the right decision to introduce such a mechanic, and it is high time.

And regarding whether they will return or not, such improvements in the game will just be an incentive for people to come back and play, because such mechanics have been lacking for a long time. And if you sit, do not do anything and do not change, then nothing will change in the game so that people will return. The question remains whether NQ will manage at all - well, I really hope so, but time will tell.

Py / sy And also we all have been waiting for a very long time to enter breakdowns from falls, etc. They promised to return NQ as soon as possible, but for half a year there is no news .. really looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, Feriniya said:

Well, not who say that they will return after the wipe, well, there will be a personal wipe for them. They will just come back, because they want a wipe? ... so they will start first :)

No one kicks out anyone, people do not pay a subscription and do not want to play even in theory, if they left and do not even follow the news, to enter and announce their tiles as headquarters, and if a person does not even follow the news, then he does not will be back soon.

I do not see any big problems in this, and I think it is also the right decision to introduce such a mechanic, and it is high time.

And regarding whether they will return or not, such improvements in the game will just be an incentive for people to come back and play, because such mechanics have been lacking for a long time. And if you sit, do not do anything and do not change, then nothing will change in the game so that people will return. The question remains whether NQ will manage at all - well, I really hope so, but time will tell.

Py / sy And also we all have been waiting for a very long time to enter breakdowns from falls, etc. They promised to return NQ as soon as possible, but for half a year there is no news .. really looking forward to it.

This game does need a wipe before launch with how different it is from the start of beta. But if for whatever reason NQ decides not to wipe then yeah people could come back either side of the coin flip Wipe/No Wipe. But let me ask you then if DU is already fairly unpopular and has bad player retention as is making it more unplayable with punishments and infinitely finite ore and whatever else NQ takes away next is going to make more players join or less? Without adding fun or PvP. If you alienate groups like casuals you get less PvPers if there are nobody to fight and you lose the hardcore players if there is nobody on top to fight, and it breaks down and more people leave.

This game needs to get people into the game first before you pull the cart before the horse. Whatever DU is isnt fun for a lot of people and NQ needs to do something about that which does not end up with killing off more people from ever subbing to this game. Whatever that takes does not involve taking everything they own from them to never want to come back. Its not like coming back wont take you 10 times longer with the current system then when you started not including whatever NQ tries to punish people next.

4 minutes ago, Warlander said:

This game does need a wipe before launch with how different it is from the start of beta. But if for whatever reason NQ decides not to wipe then yeah people could come back either side of the coin flip Wipe/No Wipe. But let me ask you then if DU is already fairly unpopular and has bad player retention as is making it more unplayable with punishments and infinitely finite ore and whatever else NQ takes away next is going to make more players join or less? Without adding fun or PvP. If you alienate groups like casuals you get less PvPers if there are nobody to fight and you lose the hardcore players if there is nobody on top to fight, and it breaks down and more people leave.

This game needs to get people into the game first before you pull the cart before the horse. Whatever DU is isnt fun for a lot of people and NQ needs to do something about that which does not end up with killing off more people from ever subbing to this game. Whatever that takes does not involve taking everything they own from them to never want to come back. Its not like coming back wont take you 10 times longer with the current system then when you started not including whatever NQ tries to punish people next.

Yes, no one punishes anyone, the game promised to be not only a construction casual game, and it is slowly becoming such. More complex and not only construction. The only problem is that they did not correctly give the players the beginning of the beta, and later took a course to make the gameplay more complicated - I only welcome this. But the problem is that at that moment a casual opinion about the game was formed in the game and 2 camps of players gathered. And when they began to complicate the game, the second part of more casual players or just builders who were no longer interested in anything began to rebel.

But alas, they will have to choose. And as only one part of the players remains, then only those players who are interested in such gameplay will continue to come. The same as in EVE online. Everyone else will just be quickly weeded out. The question is whether these players will be enough for them for the life and development of their company. Well, it's not up to us to decide anyway.

7 minutes ago, Feriniya said:

Yes, no one punishes anyone, the game promised to be not only a construction casual game, and it is slowly becoming such. More complex and not only construction. The only problem is that they did not correctly give the players the beginning of the beta, and later took a course to make the gameplay more complicated - I only welcome this. But the problem is that at that moment a casual opinion about the game was formed in the game and 2 camps of players gathered. And when they began to complicate the game, the second part of more casual players or just builders who were no longer interested in anything began to rebel.

But alas, they will have to choose. And as only one part of the players remains, then only those players who are interested in such gameplay will continue to come. The same as in EVE online. Everyone else will just be quickly weeded out. The question is whether these players will be enough for them for the life and development of their company. Well, it's not up to us to decide anyway.

It comes down to builders industrialists and miners to supply the pilots, PvPers, and factions are the way to go with this game to make PvP more than just open space FFA in a way that people can either support the factions through making factions ships as the gameplay loop of mine, process, craft, spawn ship, and fight with other people in a large army instead of single guilds or orgs like most other PvP games. Until that happens that all the missions or crafting and hoarding has a purpose in either planet vs planet or 2+ factions fighting over all the planets nobody will really get behind PvP if you cant fight in atmo or Fight against other Territories. PvP coes do that to add more PvP variety that works in both space and atmo and all that is left is TWs. Factions make it easier to build and source an army vs unorganized guilds or solo builders who want no part in PvP anyways. 

So sure you might not ever be able to PvP on scantuary as far as Territory Wars go but PvP cores make it so you can flag to fight other players or structures anywhere in the game like a priest of discord full pvp flag since nobody wants to PvP in open space if you can just warp out of it. But with a PvP core there is nowhere to hide you cant blow up things in static or dynamic cores and salvage the carcasses. Or se up air defenses that can also be blown up. I do think that top Tier items should be put in Pvp static cores to require defenses but just having sam site cores on the ground, in the atmo, or on space stations would do the trick without blowing up important structures so the builders dont quit and everyone wins.

Its simple to do to create a faction and some PvP cores and if the anger boils over make it so TWs cost like 500mil to 1 billion to wage war against every territory someone owns if they need to be erased from the game so you better get a lot from what you plan to loot to make it worth it or hate someone enough to waste a billion on them. Why need taxes if you can take that much quanta out of the game?

5 hours ago, Creator said:

Agreed, simple solution here is to limit build height to 1500 meters max which allows for AGG use with some margin and would provide safe passage above this.

I also feel dynamic constructs should not be allowed to "hover" when not under power or without active engines. Let gravity do what gravity does.

Static constructs without at leat some reasonable amount of support should also crumble. This may be a tough one but the 1 voxel needle towers are really silly and a nuisance.