Four easy ideas to make DU better

Peabody

=== Double mass and volume of Ore (and by 50% for Pure Minerals)

Refining ore will be done where it's mined. This will break the large factory paradigm and encourage new outposts. People won't bring everything to alioth, and will sell ore, pure minerals and products on the planets where the ore is mined.

=== Make planets rotate and revolve around the sun

Nothing needs to be synchronized except time. Positions will be easy to calculate and clients can do it without communication with the servers. The coordinate systems, both planet and solar, will remain the same. Only the transition between coordinate systems will need to change. Distances, and warp cell costs, will be constantly changing.

=== Combat targeting harder for larger cores

Make it 30% harder to hit a ship one core smaller, and 30% easier to hit a ship one cores larger. 60% if the ships are 2 core sizes different (like L and S) and 90% for Large and XS.

Attacker gets the following adjustment to hit:

Large        Medium        Small        XS
        Large            0%            -30%            -60%        -90%
        Medium        +30%        0%                -30%        -60%
        Small            +60%        +30%            0%           -30%
        XS                +90%        +60%            +30%        0%

=== Fight to control asteroids

Fights will be common if they're easy to setup. Declare control of an asteroid and defend it for one hour, to get exclusive mining rights for 24 hours. Add the asteroid to RDMS like a territory to let allies mine and stop everyone else.

I would agree to doubling or tripling the volume of Ore... cause spatially you can't haul the weight of the volume you normally can without stacking tons of elements together in some super ugly fashion.

Planet rotation would be terrible under current DU conditions...

I like the idea of planet rotation 'Newtonian Physics' it would make space station locations more meaningful. You could even have gaps in the safe zone areas at times to add a little bit of risk to planet travel on occasion however, you would need to have a much better dynamic map for that.

The amount of ore I cannot comment on since I am still picking tiles to mine so not really sure what a full output looks like yet. Also I have not tried asteroid and PVP yet so I am not able to comment on these either.

Yeah more economy of scale mechanics could make things interesting. Some pures are lighter and cheaper to transport after refinement, but not really enough to matter.

2 hours ago, Peabody said:

=== Make planets rotate and revolve around the sun

There is no sun.

As for the rest: I am TIRED of hearing "ore", "mining", "asteroids", blabla ....   all that sounds as if EVERYTHING ELSE in the game is already stellar. But there even is no game in the first place.

4 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

There is no sun.

As for the rest: I am TIRED of hearing "ore", "mining", "asteroids", blabla ....   all that sounds as if EVERYTHING ELSE in the game is already stellar. But there even is no game in the first place.

There is a game, just not the one you are used to... Right now it centers around Mining Asteroids and Mining Units for the most part, unless you want to afk fly a mission. This is why so many players are up in arms. Unfortunately, their frustrations are valid and legitimate, and it is hard for a lot of players. That said I think this thread is a step in the right direction, we have to work towards proposing solutions vs. just naming the problems.