Is it me or has the community changed?

Sabretooth

Get ready for my rant.... 3.. 2.. 1..

Hi there, I am wondering if the community has changed.

From artistic builders to people who only want to make money or destroy things.

I see a lot of chatting going around, it only is about how much money you can make with the new mining units. Nobody talks about a building project or anything. New players come into this game and I only see them chat about how to make quanta. Its all about which tile brings in the most quanta, not even if it has a great view, a nice river or anything. They might as well just have flat surface planets because people dont seem to care. I have NEVER seen anyone chat about how this unlimited ore can help you with your giant build project.

Its all about quanta, quanta, quanta. People who are making billions, and for what, retirement?

This is a voxelbuilding game with superior voxel-tools and lots of players are only talking about how to make quanta.

And what will they do with all that quanta? Nobody knows

With all this unlimited free ore, sanct should be looking like coresant in a few months, but Im sure that will not be the case. People will only sell ore, it is not meant for building anymore. 

Talking about making money so much, that NQ is even considering a wipe now, and lots of peeps are like: no biggie, as long as i can keep my bp's (and with bp's, they mean a bp for a hauler to make money). NQ can consider a wipe, because the majority dont seem to care about builds.

In that perspective, NQ was right to implement taxes. If that is what the majority of the community wants to do (make money), then NQ has given those players a purpose.

And this is a voxelBUILDING game, so whats this complaining about PVP? Why do people enter a building game, only wanting to destroy things?

Because it is not about building or design, its about assembling the most powerful destroyer possible. Not even the best looking or anything, just to be useful and destroy as much possible.

And that is, for me, the reason I cancelled my sub. Not just because of how demeter or NQ changed the game, but also because I do not feel at home between these money grabbers and destroyers. This is just not my kind of game anymore. Im sure that if I come back and take a peek after 8 months or so, there are less builds then there are now! And thats a very amazing trick that NQ has pulled of in a persistent voxelbuilding universe!!

No offence to anyone, we are all different people.

The problem is that NQ has changed the game in such a way that you are basically forced to bring out the calculator or a spreadsheet to see how much you need to make to pay your taxes and see what's left after tthat to do anything else.

And so far, it seems most will just need to go back and make more money to get ready for the next tax bill.

Unfortunately, with the introduction of Schematics, you won't get very far without Quanta. If you want to build something, first buy the schematics for it. Depending on what kind of schematic it is, the costs can go up into the billion. It continues with the introduction of the mining units. No quanta, no mining units and no tiles. So it is not only up to the players but also to the gameplay that is currently available.

17 minutes ago, Sabretooth said:

Its all about quanta, quanta, quanta. People who are making billions, and for what, retirement?

This is a voxelbuilding game with superior voxel-tools and lots of players are only talking about how to make quanta.

maybe, just maybe, this is because players are now required to pay taxes?

I'm one of those builders who were scanning, selling and buying the past 2 weeks, even tho i normally wouldnt do this, and this is simply because i have more than 5 hexes where i built purely non-functional stuff and need to finance it. But whenever i said, that those taxes will kill large projects everyone only answered "but you have 5 HQ hexes, learn how to make quanta"

But at least i have found another quanta faucet now, getting stuff from the ppl i played with a lot and who left over the past 2 weeks.

16 minutes ago, Sabretooth said:

Get ready for my rant.... 3.. 2.. 1..

Hi there, I am wondering if the community has changed.

From artistic builders to people who only want to make money or destroy things.

I see a lot of chatting going around, it only is about how much money you can make with the new mining units. Nobody talks about a building project or anything. New players come into this game and I only see them chat about how to make quanta. Its all about which tile brings in the most quanta, not even if it has a great view, a nice river or anything. They might as well just have flat surface planets because people dont seem to care. I have NEVER seen anyone chat about how this unlimited ore can help you with your giant build project.

And what will they do with all that quanta? Nobody knows

With all this unlimited free ore, sanct should be looking like coresant in a few months, but Im sure that will not be the case. People will only sell ore, it is not meant for building anymore. 

Talking about making money so much, that NQ is even considering a wipe now, and lots of peeps are like: no biggie, as long as i can keep my bp's (and with bp's, they mean a bp for a hauler to make money). NQ can consider a wipe, because the majority dont seem to care about builds.

In that perspective, NQ was right to implement taxes. If that is what the majority of the community wants to do (make money), then NQ has given those players a purpose.

And this is a voxelBUILDING game, so whats this complaining about PVP? Why do people enter a building game, only wanting to destroy things?

Because it is not about building or design, its about assembling the most powerful destroyer possible. Not even the best looking or anything, just to be useful and destroy as much possible.

And that is, for me, the reason I cancelled my sub. Not just because of how demeter or NQ changed the game, but also because I do not feel at home between these money grabbers and destroyers. This is just not my kind of game anymore. Im sure that if I come back and take a peek after 8 months or so, there are less builds then there are now! And thats a very amazing trick that NQ has pulled of in a persistent voxelbuilding universe!!

No offence to anyone, we are all different people.

Maybe talk to NQ, as their marketing strategy was to get people who "like to destroy stuff" in the game. All their big flashy promotion videos have pvp.  Same with the recent one about asteroid pvp. That video had 100k views.  All over QnA videos have like 4k. 

If you look carefully you will see its mostly the same small group of players expressing their dissatisfaction with the game over and over again. There are still dedicated builders and players who still quietly enjoying the game in their own way. They just don't generally feel the need to come over to the forums to express themselves probably for fear of the small dedicated group of dissatisfied players who will jump all over them.

The other problem is the fact that currently the playerbase is far too small right now. A lot have left leaving the salty ones to throw salt on each other until they give up and leave due to an excess of salt.

Don't be put off by the players talking about the making of quanta. Monetary value in game is usually a representation of how well someone is doing. When the ways to increase that value are hampered or changed in some way it causes repercussions.

24 minutes ago, Stormis said:

Unfortunately, with the introduction of Schematics, you won't get very far without Quanta. If you want to build something, first buy the schematics for it. Depending on what kind of schematic it is, the costs can go up into the billion. It continues with the introduction of the mining units. No quanta, no mining units and no tiles. So it is not only up to the players but also to the gameplay that is currently available.

with 0.23, they at least gave us in return: more daily quanta, and bots were buying for double the price. The said focus of 0.23 was to bring more stuff to the markets

14 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Maybe talk to NQ, as their marketing strategy was to get people who "like to destroy stuff" in the game. All their big flashy promotion videos have pvp.  Same with the recent one about asteroid pvp. That video had 100k views.  All over QnA videos have like 4k. 

Well, they should have shown ingame PVP. This pvp video makes it look like the intro of Star Wars clone wars and its even within the 2SU safe zone around a planet.

And yes, you are right. They do lure destroyers into this game, what is the NQ marketing strategy anyway?

4 minutes ago, Gunhand said:

If you look carefully you will see its mostly the same small group of players expressing their dissatisfaction with the game over and over again. There are still dedicated builders and players who still quietly enjoying the game in their own way. They just don't generally feel the need to come over to the forums to express themselves probably for fear of the small dedicated group of dissatisfied players who will jump all over them.

The other problem is the fact that currently the playerbase is far too small right now. A lot have left leaving the salty ones to throw salt on each other until they give up and leave due to an excess of salt.

Don't be put off by the players talking about the making of quanta. Monetary value in game is usually a representation of how well someone is doing. When the ways to increase that value are hampered or changed in some way it causes repercussions.

Yes, it I think it is the same group of players (including myself) who is expressing here on the forums. But it is not always negative, and I think most of the time its a constructive discussing about improving gameplay.

23 minutes ago, Sabretooth said:

Yes, it I think it is the same group of players (including myself) who is expressing here on the forums. But it is not always negative, and I think most of the time its a constructive discussing about improving gameplay.

its nice to discuss problems with other players and think about solutions, sadly NQ doesnt really care, so in the end its futile effort. Demter is nearly 100% a cost-reducing patch, and thats something where they wont compromise.

The vision behind DU has changed conciderately, Probably from a visionairy point of view to a stakeholders, screw it we want return on investment, point of view. Does that mean you will get the DU you hoped for with all the talks JC had and all the ideas we saw in the past. Nope, best leave fast if thats what you hope for.  Will we ever see the civilization build by players? no idea but the chance we saw that was better the first week in beta as it is now.

We are there because NQ has always had an ultra capitalist vision of them.

The most glaring example is the system of organizations. It is a copy of a (foul) ideology of an ultra liberal "start up nation".

For NQ you MUST be a self-employed entrepreneur and have your own business to generate profit because that is how the world works or has to work for them. If you listen to them, it is the only way a civilization has to be born and prosper.

It is completely to deny several millinear years of human history.
Civilizations have developed because there have been state organizations with inalienable sovereignties.
In Dual Universe if you make an organization you are a legate and the one and only boss, you can leave with the fund whenever you want.
There is no democratic process, you cannot choose to integrate homework and homework.

Example: impossible for an organization to vote spending limits for its members / legates. No way to protect assets for projects other than personal enrichment.

It is not the fault of the community.
It's NQ's fault.

The player base ultimately reflects what the game's ecosystem allows to flourish.

Sorry but when I can sell a single tile that is located close to D6 for 1.1 Billion quanta,
but people complain to me about my price of a 1 million quanta blueprint, and tell me my designs aren't worth that...
back pre-dementor (when you could make that in 15-minutes.)...

Overall being a builder is a thankless job, the player base is too small to sell at scale, and people want to pay you next to nothing to own months of your free time for custom work.

All of this tells me as a builder I am not valued by most of my community.

1 hour ago, Haunty said:

It's a waste of time and thought worrying about what other people are doing in the game and trying to label what DU is and isn't. Just do you.

Murica! Part of the reason we live in a narcissistic society of lonely individuals, just doing themselves without any thought of why their world is changing. Not trying to bring RL stuff into this, just making a point, that this type of cop out approach to problem solving is pervasive across so many MMO communities. When someone brings this up the answer is... "then leave!"

Where to though? Cause those that want to socialize, those that want to see more things valued then pixel bank accounts and kill scores are shoved out of games by people and platforms that operate in a self serving and overall harmful way. Then of course if anyone challenges this, then that person is a problem for trying to shake up the status quo.

I agree with the OP, people don't want to pay 1 million quanta for someone's time and creativity cause they are "worthless", but they will pay over a billion for a tile close to D6 market. Just saying people's priorities and values seem pretty F'ed these days.

1 hour ago, Creator said:

Murica! Part of the reason we live in a narcissistic society of lonely individuals, just doing themselves without any thought of why their world is changing. Not trying to bring RL stuff into this, just making a point, that this type of cop out approach to problem solving is pervasive across so many MMO communities. When someone brings this up the answer is... "then leave!"

Where to though? Cause those that want to socialize, those that want to see more things valued then pixel bank accounts and kill scores are shoved out of games by people and platforms that operate in a self serving and overall harmful way. Then of course if anyone challenges this, then that person is a problem for trying to shake up the status quo.

I agree with the OP, people don't want to pay 1 million quanta for someone's time and creativity cause they are "worthless", but they will pay over a billion for a tile close to D6 market. Just saying people's priorities and values seem pretty F'ed these days.

Well DU might be the first anti-social Non-MMO ever created.

There is no need to do anything since the game pretty much plays itself now.

There is no need to group or join an org as you can do it all yourself.

There is no need to group as there is no real PvP or need for protection

There is no need to do anything with anyone else with the alts they handed out

There is no need to really do anything since there is no endgame type goal to work with others to achieve in content

There is nothing really to the game, they wanted us to play Second Life but didnt know the thing that makes it work is RL $$$.

They wanted Minecraft but thats gone now and never added the survival elements as much as player vs dev survival elements

They are really clueless about the other games they tried to emulate.

45 minutes ago, Warlander said:

There is no need to group or join an org as you can do it all yourself.

There is no need to group as there is no real PvP or need for protection

There is no need to do anything with anyone else with the alts they handed out

There is no need to really do anything since there is no endgame type goal to work with others to achieve in content

perfect you can do what ever you want in what ever manner, shape or form you want.

freeform openworld, yes please

5 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

The problem is that NQ has changed the game in such a way that you are basically forced to bring out the calculator or a spreadsheet to see how much you need to make to pay your taxes and see what's left after tthat to do anything else.

And so far, it seems most will just need to go back and make more money to get ready for the next tax bill.

I agree with this. I think taxes introduced an ongoing cost regardless of income. In a way, it is an extremely regressive flat tax. 

Mining also more tedious and something for which everyone must do to either earn quanta or build.

For example: A pure builder previously could go mine some bauxite or whatever material they needed, when they needed, as much as they needed and get back to building the next day. Now mining is an infrastructure effort where miners must mine enough to cover taxes plus materials. It also takes longer to get what you need. 

Net: getting resources is something for which requires planning, quanta, and time from people who typically enjoy spending their time elsewhere.

We are also coming down from an extremely high inflationary point where people made massive amounts of quanta to a place of low margin yield for most people. Some are still hitting it rich, but not the masses.

I like the idea of auto miners but I am not a fan from the tedium required.

7 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

This trailer is funny on so many levels since the game is the complete opposite of what is shown in this CGI scripted hoop dream.

Even if you had like 100 people flying in perfect formation NQ prolly never even thought about making a formation system and even if you did it would be so laggy you would be crashing into each other left and right.

Or the fact that this looks more like atmo combat than space combat with what was shown with the strafe and tight turns.

Or that there is no structural destruction like the last scene where parts of the ship are flying off into space since as soon as you pop the core it just stops to a halt instead of needing to collect the pieces. Who would PvP if the ship didnt just destroy the voxels and all the damage you did sent the parts flying off in different directions and all you had to loot was a frame or just a core that somehow has space brakes?

They went for Star Wars Battlefront but whatever this is aint that at all lol. And besides we have space combat and almost nobody does it already and we need atmo combat and a robust PvP system to allow any of this to happen in general more so then it already does not really happen.

This game would have been a lot better if NQ actually made huge NPC fleets like this and acted more like the Empire as seen with their grifted star destroyer where you either work with NQ or against them as the rebels as players would be working to mine, refine, craft, build and launch these ships on behalf of NQ as the Empire to police and murder the solar system or to choose to fight against it where the bubble is there for both protection and a launch point for NQs empire like grip on the solar system.

Honestly, there's too much wrong with the "building" system in this game to even bother typing a big post about.

The voxel system is archaic and not that fun to use. It's too tedious for anyone but the most dedicated builders to make anything that looks good.

NQ aren't adding enough new element models to keep building interesting.

There aren't the right society management tools to allow a "civilization" of players to build things together. And even if there were, the engine can't really support a large construction project like a city or massive space station.

There hasn't been any real development progress in the past year. Without major changes, DU will continue to look like a tech project from the early 2000's and it will slowly die off.

12 minutes ago, JeffCraig said:

Honestly, there's too much wrong with the "building" system in this game to even bother typing a big post about.

The voxel system is archaic and not that fun to use. It's too tedious for anyone but the most dedicated builders to make anything that looks good.

NQ aren't adding enough new element models to keep building interesting.

There aren't the right society management tools to allow a "civilization" of players to build things together. And even if there were, the engine can't really support a large construction project like a city or massive space station.

There hasn't been any real development progress in the past year. Without major changes, DU will continue to look like a tech project from the early 2000's and it will slowly die off.

Yeah I really wish that they would have went with a lot more modular of element type decorations, grated floors, vents, things like steam pipes, different effects, XXS/XXL props like forcefields so you could make a force firld for a ship/base.

Or just the missing half of the ship parts lineup of L/XL missing part lines, military, freight, maneuvering versions of those parts, and the rarities of parts like wings.

I cant tell what causes more lag to be honest at this point between the actual dirt voxels, the second overlay of the dirt voxels you manipuled on top of the landscape, the actual voxel voxels, or the elements. Its like the layering of it all is very jarring to the system and its been even laggier than before when we teraformed like 7 tiles around us when its supposed to be better performance or at least that was they hype they tried to use to tell us they killed our puppy.

I think it would have been better if they had just a static mesh world with a voxel to mesh baking tool that just made mesh houses like any other game for buildings/ships since the voxels just seem to be too much more trouble than they are worth since they didnt take the time for world healing.