So, the latest on a partial wipe

Novean-32184

If magic blueprints were to be offered as a wipe replacement, they would probably be without content. So a player keeps his BP, but has to re-gain the materials like all other players. In this way, what is there now could be preserved without any advantages.

5 hours ago, ADCOne said:

I notice that people only talk about subs but I am an alpha backer and while I do not pay subs I did pay the max lump sum when Alpha came out so its not just subs that payed for the service. (Subs are just the trickle right now)

Sorry the reason I mentioned subs, is due to NQs financial position. Us Alpha backers money is long since spent, meanwhile subs are new income that can be used going forward. A full wipe would strip the reason for people to sub during Beta and so it would be a loss of all that cash to NQ. Not to mention a probable loss of all these players forever. 

This is why I said keeping Talent points and BPs is essential to any wipe. 

3 hours ago, FryingDoom said:

Sorry the reason I mentioned subs, is due to NQs financial position. Us Alpha backers money is long since spent, meanwhile subs are new income that can be used going forward. A full wipe would strip the reason for people to sub during Beta and so it would be a loss of all that cash to NQ. Not to mention a probable loss of all these players forever. 

This is why I said keeping Talent points and BPs is essential to any wipe. 

Subs might be income but they are going to need to start selling things in a fluff shop instead of the recruitment pyramid scheme for getting skins. Sub models only work if you make a game worth paying for. I would pay money for things like skins or pets that auto repaired, auto harvested, auto refueled, or played mini games for me. I would pay for things like dyes to make my avatar glow. NQ is not doing themselves any favors with a sub based model.

I would prefer like some kind of golden XS core that you can fit whatever you can fit into it which wouldnt be much along with bps and exp.

3 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Subs might be income but they are going to need to start selling things in a fluff shop instead of the recruitment pyramid scheme for getting skins. Sub models only work if you make a game worth paying for. I would pay money for things like skins or pets that auto repaired, auto harvested, auto refueled, or played mini games for me. I would pay for things like dyes to make my avatar glow. NQ is not doing themselves any favors with a sub based model.

I would prefer like some kind of golden XS core that you can fit whatever you can fit into it which wouldnt be much along with bps and exp.

XL Cores for cash maybe. 

1 hour ago, FryingDoom said:

So would I.

But its like they dont want to sell anything worth buying. Subs only go so far in funding a game tbh. There are people out there who spend as much money on virtual clothing as real clothing. I know people who play video games and spending on virtual clothing to cut down their shopaholic tendancies.

Am cooling off on DU a bit, least not going to "grind" as much as I used to in fear all that effort will be removed out of the game. I had spent the better part of a year grinding for a warp beacon capable factory- many hours grinded away for it, all with the understanding that this is a live server even if the game is in "beta". 

I draw the line at having my base/constructs removed, touch them and I'm gone... clear my wallets... sure, whatever- clear my stored items, okay. Move beyond that and I'm out, even as much as I love DU- that'd be my final straw.

I hope they don't punish the many for the imbalance created by the few....

20 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

Given NQ's financial position

Just wondering how you know NQ's financial position.  People have been claiming NQ were broke for over 6 months on this forum, when JC left the whole company was going to be sold off according to the sages.

Has anyone ever thought that they might have the money to get to launch regardless of player count and subs?

25 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Just wondering how you know NQ's financial position.  People have been claiming NQ were broke for over 6 months on this forum, when JC left the whole company was going to be sold off according to the sages.

Has anyone ever thought that they might have the money to get to launch regardless of player count and subs?

Those are of public record, they only had 20 some million total before beta released.  they probably havent even made 500k from subs.  Because so many beta keys exist.  Lots of people have 10 alts and not a single one pays a sub.  Second, they did recently gte 4.5mil investment i saw someone link.  So people are correctly speculating that that 4.5mil is being used to get them to a "release".   But beyond that, once they release, the odds of people continue to invest will probably be 0.  So it will be up to NQ to actually turn a profit with subs/dac/cosmetics.  We don't know their exact monthly nut, but they own 2 offices.  Rent cost money.  Electricity cost money.  60-80 employee salaries cost a lot of money per month.  The servers they have cost money.  And on top it all they have to make SOME profit for their investors.   So ya, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out NQ's financials are not great and long term doesnt look the best.  It will depend on what money they can make post release.  Which is coming quickly.  

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Those are of public record, they only had 20 some million total before beta released.  they probably havent even made 500k from subs.  Because so many beta keys exist.  Lots of people have 10 alts and not a single one pays a sub.  Second, they did recently gte 4.5mil investment i saw someone link.  So people are correctly speculating that that 4.5mil is being used to get them to a "release".   But beyond that, once they release, the odds of people continue to invest will probably be 0.  So it will be up to NQ to actually turn a profit with subs/dac/cosmetics.  We don't know their exact monthly nut, but they own 2 offices.  Rent cost money.  Electricity cost money.  60-80 employee salaries cost a lot of money per month.  The servers they have cost money.  And on top it all they have to make SOME profit for their investors.   So ya, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out NQ's financials are not great and long term doesnt look the best.  It will depend on what money they can make post release.  Which is coming quickly.  

So it is a guess then..... you have no actual idea.  I have been hearing that NQ were out of money for ages but they seem to keep on going?  So not going to pay any heed to further speculation.

Also if they did RECENTLY get 4.5m and they had 20m for the first 6 years, basic maths says they should still  have some money in the bank.  Unless they have had a massive increase in overheads.

17 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

So it is a guess then..... you have no actual idea.  I have been hearing that NQ were out of money for ages but they seem to keep on going?  So not going to pay any heed to further speculation.

Also if they did RECENTLY get 4.5m and they had 20m for the first 6 years, basic maths says they should still  have some money in the bank.  Unless they have had a massive increase in overheads.

It's not a guess to say 25mil or so Is not a lot for video game. Especially one of DU Scale and scope they going for and their servers.  It's not people saying the flat out broke, it's people saying they have money on the extreme low end for trying to achieve what they are wanting to do.  You can do simple math on average salaries for devs and such. They aren't getting paid minimum wage. Those salaries cost in the millions alone, not to mention everything else I've listed. Yes the probably have enough money to make it to release, but everything after will have to be them turning a profit, which they obviously haven't yet. 

Also keep in mind during alpha they had those numbers public on the website.  You might not have been around during alpha, but they only raised 2mil over 6 years from kickstarter and pledges. Everything else came from investors.  Investors who want a RETURN.  Which means at some point the player will have to make NQ profitable. It's really not looking good in that regard. 

2 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

Also keep in mind during alpha they had those numbers public on the website.  You might not have been around during alpha, but they only raised 2mil over 6 years from kickstarter and pledges. Everything else came from investors.  Investors who want a RETURN.  Which means at some point the player will have to make NQ profitable. It's really not looking good in that regard. 

I have been here since it was all fields, was in early alpha, was at the 30k stress test and many other early events. I am also well aware of what development costs, I work in the industry (condescension seems to be a common trait on here).   So lets do some maths 25m for the first 6+ years = about 4m running cost per year.  Which means that the 4.5m they 'recently acquired' should mean they will be running for at least another 12 months.  Taking into account, the initial costs would have been lowered but they have been very open about saving being made in the last 6 months or so and they have been getting some income from subs.

In my experience, most independent development companies live hand to mouth, that is the way of the world.  The fact the game hasnt been dumped onto Steam for me is a good sign that they are not desperate for money, as that would be the first thing I would do as a cash grab if they were.  I totally agree that launch is what will define whether the project lives or dies, they need to get key additional features finished and then send a good few months polishing the game before they let the masses in.  Would be interesting to know what level of subs they need to break even.

6 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

I have been here since it was all fields, was in early alpha, was at the 30k stress test and many other early events. I am also well aware of what development costs, I work in the industry (condescension seems to be a common trait on here).   So lets do some maths 25m for the first 6+ years = about 4m running cost per year.  Which means that the 4.5m they 'recently acquired' should mean they will be running for at least another 12 months.  Taking into account, the initial costs would have been lowered but they have been very open about saving being made in the last 6 months or so and they have been getting some income from subs.

In my experience, most independent development companies live hand to mouth, that is the way of the world.  The fact the game hasnt been dumped onto Steam for me is a good sign that they are not desperate for money, as that would be the first thing I would do as a cash grab if they were.  I totally agree that launch is what will define whether the project lives or dies, they need to get key additional features finished and then send a good few months polishing the game before they let the masses in.  Would be interesting to know what level of subs they need to break even.

You just said everything I did. I never was one of the people that said they were "broke" and only a few outliers have said so. But 25mil for 7 years is very little in the gaming industry, especially for a company that has more costs (they pay for he servers) as oppose to other games who pass that onto the player.  And ya anyone who has looked into it shows they probably have another year of funding left.  But what people are really concerned about and the game "dying" Is, what kind of product will we get that NQ calls release, and how much income can they really get. And will it be enough to sustain them for many many years plus continued development at a reasonable pace.  Can't deny the odds aren't good. Sure, 36 months from now DU might still be a game, but my guess would be under 50% chance of that happening.