TERRITORY UPKEEP KICKING OFF SOON - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

So when a tile becomes "abandoned" because they owner has a life and doesn't want to constantly pay un-needed land taxes for a space game: they still have 2 weeks to take all their crap back even though someone else claimed the tile?

So I claim an abandoned tile, pay the 500k, then pay 1mil for the next week taxes, and the midnight before the second week is here: they come and take all their stuff.

How in the world is that fair or fun or even logical? I claim the tile, I own what is on it. Have the devs or "project managers" never played a game before?

44 minutes ago, Sevian said:

So when a tile becomes "abandoned" because they owner has a life and doesn't want to constantly pay un-needed land taxes for a space game: they still have 2 weeks to take all their crap back even though someone else claimed the tile?

So I claim an abandoned tile, pay the 500k, then pay 1mil for the next week taxes, and the midnight before the second week is here: they come and take all their stuff.

How in the world is that fair or fun or even logical? I claim the tile, I own what is on it. Have the devs or "project managers" never played a game before?

Its their dumb idea of "we gave them multiple chances to keep their stuff!!"  When in realtiy just make it a solid month after taxes before its abandon, and first come first serve on who claims the tile.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:25 AM, NQ-Wanderer said:

Hello, Noveans!

We would like to hear your feedback on the territory upkeep kicking off soon!

I think this system would have been better if it was applied to markets as a parking meter. If you park there for a week then you pay 1mil quanta. If you can pay your vehicle gets booted and cant fly until you pay the taxes. next week it gets abandonded and salvaged. All the people with stacks of boxes, ships, selling ships, and just all the random things needed to be clamped down on long long ago.

The old style of land price on putting a tile down was better with an escalating cost by how much you have in territories but should also have a low cost of owning a tile with 150,000h is better if you charge more up front and a small cost.

You could do the same thing with the number of dynamic static cores you own and tax by core size.

You could charge a distance tax for VR along with warp cells or calibrations charges.

You could charge people for killing themselves with exp and quanta tax.

You could just create resource sinks via destructivle elements 

You could create resource sinks like wear and tear on elements

You could do a tick of global damage to everything based on tax cycles

You could add drill bits to mining units to create a resource sink to run mining units and also industry units with comonents the industry units are made of or vice versa with mining units wearing out components you need to replace now that there is an efficiency system it just needs to cause some kind of damage to units that need repair via scrap or parts replacement.

You could create resource sinks with every time a part breaks you lose 10% efficiency until it no longer has useable stats and must be replaced.

You could make all the tools use a resource sink like gas, batteries, etc to charge by how much people actually do.

You could do resource sinks like actually require people to breath oxigen on different planets or underwater and in space or you suffocate and lose exp.

You could create a quanta sink for players who attack, kill, and loot other players. Where I come from thats considered breaking the law and if pvp players want to use the market they should have to pay for their crimes with quanta or become full FFA pvp everywhere until they do.

You guys could have just used the tax cycle as a check to see if people are playing and just packed up everything in golden blueprints if you dont play for a monthi so that if people came back after they could still put their cores back down somewhere and start again if you used some kind of system of labeling cores. Its much more friendly on player retention or returning players.

Quick question. If i set a territory as "headquarters", do I need need to pay taxes on it to make it not become abandoned after 4 weeks? 

My interpretation of the announcement topic says yes. 

Buy i have heard ppl say "no" on discord/forum/ingame chat

2 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Quick question. If i set a territory as "headquarters", do I need need to pay taxes on it to make it not become abandoned after 4 weeks? 

My interpretation of the announcement topic says yes. 

Buy i have heard ppl say "no" on discord/forum/ingame chat

It won't become abandoned as explained in the few devblog postings. However, you won't be able to use MU or industry.

8 minutes ago, Sevian said:

It won't become abandoned as explained in the few devblog postings. However, you won't be able to use MU or industry.

Tnx, any chance for a direct quote? 

Because this says otherwise:

"

If you have claimed your territory, designated your headquarters, and primed your wallet with enough quanta to cover the taxes (1 million per week per territory), you’re all set and don’t need to do anything further to prepare.

This clearly says that my headquarters territory will need 1m quanta or i have something to prepare... 

@NQ-Wanderer can you clearly say if headquarter territories can become abandoned? And fix the language used in that statement? (remember that "and" and "or" are not the same word) 

2 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

This clearly says that my headquarters territory will need 1m quanta or i have something to prepare...

Sorry, I wrapped your two questions in one answer.

Yes, you have to pay taxes on ALL tiles you own (besides Sanctuary at the moment...).

Headquarters tile DO NOT become abandoned if you do not pay, only "inactive" for MU and industry.

Just now, Sevian said:

Sorry, I wrapped your two questions in one answer.

Yes, you have to pay taxes on ALL tiles you own (besides Sanctuary at the moment...).

Headquarters tile DO NOT become abandoned if you do not pay, only "inactive" for MU and industry.

I did understand that. But the "and" used in that quote says that headquarter territories also need taxes to not become abandoned. 

Im quite sure you are right but i would still like NQ to fix the language there. 

I don't understand why they put these taxes in. Of course they said that it would get rid of many areas and constructs that are no longer used by active players. Accordingly, it is also an austerity measure. (Is NQ really doing so badly financially?)
The problem could also have been solved by moving this process to an active subscription. Same result, except that you wouldn't harm very many players by doing this, because you are now imposing a game compulsion and style of play on the players. Where is the motto "Play how you want - be who you want and develop yourself"?

I have now tested the MiningUnits for a few days and the mini-game is already annoying! Just running back and forth to the ground ores, just the fact that you first have to level up for many weeks to enable progress.

It feels wrong to demand taxes from players just to force them into the game in terms of time. They wanted players to have more freedom and more time to "play" - so why weren't these MiningUnits completely automated? An area restriction on how many areas a player can have in each solar system would have done justice.

By the way, their system does not prevent that many players now create many alts to generate more ores. Let's see how long they will enjoy doing this.

In principle, it doesn't matter, since they apparently plan to do a wipe at the end of the beta anyway. So why invest time and money now and not just wait for the release? When it's released in 3-5 years, at least you'll see what you're buying.

I find it cheeky that inactive players from the beta will now lose everything and have to log in to save it. Some players have reasons why they don't currently play DualUniverse, but would have come back later if there was meaningful content. Telling these players to log in or pay a subscription to log in so you don't lose your areas and buildings shames me. It smacks of NQ currently begging for every subscription and not understanding that this way more subscription players will leave.

Can you please fix the messaging provided by the game when claiming territories? Because it's not accurate, not useful, cannot be clicked on to determine which hex/construct it's referring to, and suggests that dynamic constructs can also be requisitioned. Including dynamic constructs that are no longer in the hex. "Scan" and "temp1050" are not static constructs. They're dynamic constructs. And they're not in the hex. The territory is not named scan, or temp1050. The territories do have names, but those aren't the names. And I can't find out what territory the notification is referring to because those aren't the names.

image.png.bf09b3377bde6a8914d26fa4b1a3398a.png

3 hours ago, shagwana said:

Does this affect sanctuary tiles?

No, Sanctuary tiles are not taxed. 

1 hour ago, Celestis said:

Also, what happens to Sanctuary tiles if someone stops playing the game?

Is there a time-period of no subscription before Sanctuary tiles become available?

Sanctuary tiles will not enter an abandoned state. 

1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

Setting your headquarters protects that territory from entering an abandoned state where someone else could claim it; however, if you don't pay the taxes on your headquarters, you will not be able to run industries or mining units on it until the taxes are paid. 

3 hours ago, Sevian said:

So when a tile becomes "abandoned" because they owner has a life and doesn't want to constantly pay un-needed land taxes for a space game: they still have 2 weeks to take all their crap back even though someone else claimed the tile? So I claim an abandoned tile, pay the 500k, then pay 1mil for the next week taxes, and the midnight before the second week is here: they come and take all their stuff.

Yeah, it's a bit of a gamble. Here's the thing, though. True, the original owner can come back just before the deadline to pack up the construct components, but they can't just crank up their mining units that are on what's now your territory, and the territory is yours, they can't reclaim it. So, it's not as devastating a blow as it may sound. 

2 hours ago, Zarcata said:

I don't understand why they put these taxes in. Of course they said that it would get rid of many areas and constructs that are no longer used by active players. Accordingly, it is also an austerity measure. (Is NQ really doing so badly financially?)

The reason is simple, combined with the mining unit calibration, it will require aanyone who has even the slightest interest of playing to login very frequently and be active. NQ needs the statistics to show the game is viable if they ever have a chance of getting the funding they need to keep the lights on.

4 hours ago, Sevian said:

It's not. I understand nq wants to build in a fair opportunity for players to taek their stuff off of a tile they lost but at the same time, this leaves the gamle here entirely wit hthe person taking ownership.

It would have been MUCH better if you claim an abandonneed tile with a 2 week timer to pay the initial taxes. You'd be down the cost of placing the TU but not pay taxes until the time expires for the previous owner to come and collect their stuff.. Pretty much like an eviction notice.

@NQ-Pann deeply concerned about dead (Inactive/Unused) tiles on Sanct since new players have to speeder 30km to the nearest available Sanct tile to claim their first one.

While I understand you may not want to wipe current tiles, at least let us choose new ones. If pristine terrain is the problem then restore it and turn off our ability to terraform on Sanct? That ore make a default when the Sanct TU is picked up it auto restores the terrain to default on that tile.

The inability to move our Sanct tile to players we would like to be our neighbors prevents us from established a coordinated community with friends on Sanct as builders in the no tax zone, where our industry can operate and we could at least access a little tax free ore.

If you want builders and casuals on Sanct please make this more viable for us.

12 minutes ago, Creator said:

@NQ-Pann deeply concerned about dead (Inactive/Unused) tiles on Sanct since new players have to speeder 30km to the nearest available Sanct tile to claim their first one.

Yeah, that will be a problem....which is something many of us discussed prior to Demeter...but to be fair, "first time user experience" was already on their road map as the next item, so they must have realized they'd need to revamp this. 

That said....it's rather sloppy to push a feature that breaks FTUE for a paid public product thinking that you'll "fix it next update".

Again this underscores how NQ treats the project as a closed alpha still where it's okay to test very major changes on production and leave things somewhat broken until they can be fixed. Acceptable in closed alpha, frustrating for a paid product. 

They should rebrand dual universe as Solesurvivor 0. A break away distopian civ building game to where humans are an endagered species going extint. Those who remain take  what is left of those who played before then so that there can only be 1 human left playing as the distopian goverment NQ slays them one by one. Faced with cost cutting measures and red budgets leaves them only one option. Erase any existance humans ever existed.