WARNING: for many players adjacency bonus will equal a loss

Underhook

I thought I'd better warn people that the adjacency bonus is only profitable it certain circumstances and one of those circumstances is high ore price.

My experience is limited but what I have been able to do so far:

The total amount of ore in a hex seems to depend on the tier of the ore, so on a planet like Maddis we might have total ore of around 500 to 550 mostly T1

On Ion and Symeon where I have done about 130 scans the total ore count is more like 270.  For example my best hex are Ion coal 4lph, limestone 3lph, acanthite 262 lph. and on Symeon cery similar with Garnerite 262.

My skills:  Mining unit manager:  All level 4 except for cal charge vol which is level 3

Improved mining unit manager:  Extraction eff level 3, cal charge opt level 2, cal charge eff level 4

Test case 1:

So, my site on Symeon has 2 mining units mining garnerite T3. and I have one adjacent hex for testing.

Each unit has 100 % calibration

Base rate is 106 but the are each producing 112lph.  This leaves the hex with a pool of 38 remaining (not worth another unit cal charge?)

so 2 units at 112 = 224 ,so, adjacency bonus of 10% = 22.4 lph

so 22.4 lph x 24 hours = 537.6 x 7 days = 3,763 litres per week

Yester day I put 20K of garnerite on the market for 391 close to the bottom price.  However right now the price at market 6 is 271 (yes its big litres)

So 3,763 litres x 271 quanta = 1,019,773

which gives a profit of 20,000 quanta

if the price drops any more it will be a loss.

Test case 2:

I dont have T1 mining so I have based this on scans from Maddis.

The actual scan is Coal 57, Hema 158, Quartz 36 and Baux 280.  Now most people would not mine this so lets get rid of quartz (lowest price) and maybe put the coal and quartz numbers into Baux.

So our pretend test hex is Hema 158 and Baux 373 ....... fair?

Ok in this scenario 3 units on Baux and maybe 2 on Hema

3 on Baux thats 106 x 3 = 318 leaving 55in the pool.  Due to my skills though I'm getting 112 per unit = 336

1 on Hema thats 106 x 1 = 106 leaving 53 in the pool.  Due to my skills though I'm getting 112 per unit = 112

So 336 + 112 = 448 lph

10% adjacency bonus will provide 44.8 lph  x 24 hours = 1075.2 x 7 days = 7,526 bonus litres

Current market 6 prices Baux = 55   and   Hema = 51

Baux 5,645 x 55 = 310,475       Hema 1,882 x 51 = 95,982

Adjacency bonus on T1 for 7 days nets total 406,457

tax 1,000,000 - 406,457 = loss of  593,543 

Conclusion:

If you have low mining skills, in most cases avoid adjacency as it will almost certainly be a loss.  If you are mining T1 even with maxed mining skills adjacency will still probably be a loss but might work out OK for very large well managed operations.  If T1 ore prices triple from  current value then a small profit would be possible.

Now of course if you are running a big operation on T2 or above where the adjacent hex also have mining units the loss may be less or could even turn a profit.  Just do the math 1st.  I would hate to see players doing all the work just to go bust.

For my purposes I have chosen to have solo sites mining different ores to try and protect myself from market fluctuations.

Please feel free to correct any mistakes I may have made and please add any useful information.  Good luck space peoples.

I'm only mining clusters of 3 tiles, because then each tile gets the same bonus. The first tiles I mined all had over 500 lph of Bauxite and I was mining with 4 MU's on each tile. In about one day enough was gathered to pay a week of taxes for all 3 tiles with the old prices, current prices it's more like 2-3 days. That includes gathering all the calibration rock spawns. I still need to work on balance sheets more once I get settled.

as far as i understand you, you make the case against adjacent hexes that aren't mined, which you should clarify in your opening statement. It may seem obvious, but if new players read it, they might think they shouldnt mine clusters of hexes at all.

24 minutes ago, vylqun said:

as far as i understand you, you make the case against adjacent hexes that aren't mined, which you should clarify in your opening statement. It may seem obvious, but if new players read it, they might think they shouldnt mine clusters of hexes at all.

I do mention at the end, large mining operations with MU on each tile can be profitable.  IMO new players will not be setting up MU on 6 hex surrounding there hex all with MU.  I see many people grabbing a bunch of hex but just mining the centre one because they can not afford the MU's.  I just wanted them to know that those surrounding hex wont be paying for themselves.

If you are already mega wealthy you don't need to worry about any of this.

2 hours ago, Creator said:

Rebellion against Taxes! Stop the destruction of our Economy, and the Burden of Corruption against our homes! The "Tax Refugees" welcome you... we will build a tax free infrastructure for all free citizens of Helios!

I'm all in.

How to join The "Tax Refugees" 

31 minutes ago, JayleBreak said:

You should mention that HQ territories provide a tax-free bonus to adjacent territories.

I am currently testing this but wont have confirmed results until I go back.  My suspicion is it wont work because even though I now have it as HQ it still has a yellow flag on it telling me that it is about to become inactive.  If it becomes inactive and still provides a bonus then yes its an exploit and will certainly be patched out.

4 hours ago, Haunty said:

I'm only mining clusters of 3 tiles, because then each tile gets the same bonus. The first tiles I mined all had over 500 lph of Bauxite and I was mining with 4 MU's on each tile. In about one day enough was gathered to pay a week of taxes for all 3 tiles with the old prices, current prices it's more like 2-3 days. That includes gathering all the calibration rock spawns. I still need to work on balance sheets more once I get settled.

This seems to be a good way of doing things.  If we use adjacency we benefit from maxing out each hex.  Probably not possible for newer players due to lower mining skills and higher capital investment.