Unfortunate respawn

Featherbed

Started playing the game last night

Went through the long tutorial

Walking through the startup with friends on Discord chat

Got a transport from the starting planet to the Sanctuary moon

Friends flew me to a spot near where their bases are

Friend trades me a small craft for my speeder so I can travel faster (thanks!)

Plant my base.  I have a home!

Tutorial says it's time to gather ore.  I gather ore

Tutorial says it's time to sell ore.  I start flying to the nearest market thingy

Try to chat with friends while flying

Unfortunate key binding for push-to talk

I crash

I respawn on starter planet

I find my way back to the Sanctuary moon

I am something like .7 SU away from my base

It's literally on the other side of the moon

I have no ship and no possessions

F

I'm going to have to RUN for days

Yes, this is a problem that should be fixed. In another thread I suggested that Sanctuary should have 60 markets so that no territory is more than 30km from a market, all markets be reachable via teleport in at most two hops, and it should be the home of the Ark so you would respawn there. Of course running 30km wouldn't be fun either, which is another problem NQ should address by making the starter ships "compactible" so you can keep it in your inventory after you no longer need it as a rescue ship (they aren't lost on respawn).
RIght now ask for a lift and see if your friends will give you permission to respawn at their base (you say they are close to your base) until you can get a resurrection node on your tile. Also you should research the closest market that has shuttle service to Alioth and remember the district.

The discord has been helpful this morning.  I discovered that I can transport back to Alioth and "teleport between districts" to get a better location to transport to Sanctuary with.  From that point I should end up about 30k away from my 'base'.  

I was also told that compacted ships in your inventory don't get lost when you die.  I'll need to pack a spare

There lots of caveats like this in the game, and the game is brutal for beginners.

For this particular scenario, most players carry a spare compacted ship (Alt+B) in their inventory at all times. Something you don't have resources for yet, and one of those you have to get burned before you learn experiences.

So if you find yourself close to District 6 on Alioth, contact me and I will give you a good flyer for compactification.

Good news!

I was able to find the zone on the spawn planet that corresponded to my market zone on Sanctuary moon

I took the shuttle back to Sanctuary moon

I hiked to the location of my crashed ship and compacted it

I hiked another 25km to my base and repaired my ship

I have started mining and building

I am a happy colonist now

Nice to see that you were able to overcome your hurdle. 

But i have to agree that this is a problem with high impact on new players. 

Something that needs a permanent fix. 

Fast travel is one fix. 

Choosing what market we respawn to is another. 

A player that just died in Jago should be able to respawn in Jago. 

I feel this is a good new player experience.  It leads us to learning about moving between markets and Sanctuary and Alioth without a ship.  It also leads us to realise just how good being able to compact a small ship/racer is.

Also I feel you missed learning about some of this stuff because you had friends giving you a ride etc.  When we are on our own, with no ship we tend to learn these things before we end up in a bad location.

Ssurface harvestables realy need to be free to collect regardless of tile ownership. 

Trivial change to make with a massive impact in player experience

But it's not like we have not been telling NQ as much for .. oh better part of a year at least..

This game is all about rolling with the punches and random things that happen to you and making the most of a bad situation.

Honestly the best adivce I can give with to get yourselve a rez pad as quickly as you can and put multiples on ships depending on size but ai cant tell you how many times having two rez pads saved me from wasting time. You can also just put a core down at a market or wherever and put a rez pad on it.

The other advice I would give is to build yourself a pocket bike as soon as you can afford a small ship you can put in your pocket that stays with you after you die and you can pull it back out and it will help you tremendiously. You can get away with like 2 XS wings, 1 M-L atmo brake, XS gas tank, XS atmo engine, and a seat. If you can fit it in your pocket you just hit ALT+B. This will be invalueable.

But even when you are in space it can be fun to learn how to squirrel jump and travel an SU and land perfectly on a tile. Just saying its better to no have atmo burn and yet still travel at space speeds. You can also just turn around and stop on a dime.