DU progress feedback

Xennial

Feedback is simple, your update is poorly thought out. I'm not sure what the dev meetings must be like over there at NQ but let me make this KISS for you folks:

Currently:

Zero reason to build anything period outside of a ship. Especially now with your well thought out brutal tax on any grand building ideas creatives might have ever had for POI's. 

PvP that most hate and even the PvP'ers have to admit sucks in it's implementation, never mind completely broken risk vs reward balance

Player based economy is a joke with your constant meddling with bots & refusal to let players setup markets

Industrial gameplay that was put out of reach of all but groups or highly dedicated no lifers with endless time on their hands

Gigantic game world that is so sparsely populated deserts in the real world seem to team with life by comparison

Asteroid mechanics that defy game design logic in their implementation (I mean really is it THAT hard for you to spawn roids randomly and continually like literally every space game with mining ... ever?)

Completely broken organization tools that make managing any group harder not easier. 

Mission system that could have be automatic and really helped the game world when it comes to posting / payouts , instead is a hot mess of must be present hand shaking nonsense. 

I could go on honestly, but EVERY single time you people do an update you overcomplicate everything and make it a nightmarish chore, rather then simply go "here are auto miners, enjoy". Asteroids same darn thing, couldn't just create a asteroid belt in the game and have rocks spawn randomly for period of time, part in the safe zone part out? OH NO , you had to make even something simple like digging a rock the most arse backwards design of all time. 

*sighs* I am not sure what your grand vision for DU is anymore , but it certainly does not contain the word 'fun' for most people. Every update makes the game more grindy, more work, less reward. The only joy people seem to have anymore is sitting in Discord / Forums talking about game theory of what DU might have been if it wasn't what it is.

NQ Staff Meeting Minutes:

NQ-Sesh: What could we do to make the game more miserable for them?
NQ-Pann: *laughing about the last update at the players expense*
NQ-Deckard: Well we just implemented taxes, so lets do something like player perma-death where if you crash you lose all your skills, items, and progress.

These devs put their heart into this game and do not deserve to be ridiculed like this. Please reconsider how you frame your argument. Its fine to be critical of NQ itself, but these are people that deserve our respect. I have seen countless examples where they have gone above and beyond to advocate for the playerbase and fix issues on their own time.

Hate the game all you want, hate the company all you want, but please give the individual devs your support. They need it now more than ever.

46 minutes ago, Msoul said:

These devs put their heart into this game and do not deserve to be ridiculed like this. Please reconsider how you frame your argument. Its fine to be critical of NQ itself, but these are people that deserve our respect. I have seen countless examples where they have gone above and beyond to advocate for the playerbase and fix issues on their own time.

Hate the game all you want, hate the company all you want, but please give the individual devs your support. They need it now more than ever.

I can respect what you are saying, and I would almost agree. I am 100% bitter about the changes as I see what it is hurting players, especially new ones that never had a chance to hoard away millions of quanta or liters or ore. That said I feel after the last vlog they aren't the advocates for the players they once were. I don't feel they are being thorough in their work, and in some ways I feel they themselves have given up on doing the proper checks and balances needed for an update like this.

Things like needing T3 ore to have the equipment to get T3 ore are a prime example. That was a fundamental thing that was no complex issue. Something here is broken, and what really drives the angst for a lot of us is the silence in the forums, lack of response, and overall absence of the dev's in engaging with us. 

I don't hate them as people, but I do believe their ability to do the job well is deteriorating with each update. So much so that I spend more times on the forum than I do in game now. I used to be a pretty peaceful builder, was excited and happy to try to create community focused builds cause I believed in this game's potential.

That said when you have issues like ship engines not turning on reliably with the default scripts after 2+ years, and you can't switch containers during trade? These are actionable fixes not complex matters being neglected. So they do absolutely deserve to be called out for ignoring the community, shoving updates down our throats that destabilize the economy, gameplay ecosystems, ruin community projects, etc.

They were warned about the outcomes and the impact on the players, we pleaded for them not to make the update in the current state and they shoved right through and said "we know better than you"... which is why they are getting our angst.

The writing is on the wall, if they continue course the game we love will be dead before the end of next year if not sooner.

4 hours ago, Msoul said:

These devs put their heart into this game and do not deserve to be ridiculed like this. 

If they put their hearts into this game, then they must be deeply ashamed of result.

Because thousands of backers who too put their heart, money and time into this game, deserve much better. 

5 hours ago, Msoul said:

While I do not disagree with you in principle, when said devs really do not show the community the respect they deserve in return and really seem inncapable of actually understanding what it is that drives the high levels of frustration and revolt. Through the last vew vlogs and QA sessions it became clear that NQ really does not even have a basic understanding of the positions and arguments in some of the more prevalant discussion on the forums.

Respect must be earned and it starts with actually showing you get what the community is concerned about.

11 hours ago, Msoul said:

I don't think this was directed at me specifically since I never named any individuals, that being said you cannot separate the individuals from the 'company' so easily. This is not some Amazon and people are bagging on some poor delivery driver. This is a creative team. The player base doesn't need 'advocates' (especially obviously ineffective ones), the playerbase needs design decisions that makes sense. If the creative 'team' that is NQ cannot manage to see glaringly obvious faults with systems they implement they deserve to be called out on it.

14 hours ago, Xennial said:

Zero reason to build anything period outside of a ship. Especially now with your well thought out brutal tax on any grand building ideas creatives might have ever had for POI's. 

As a builder I'm going to have to disagree with that completely.

In the last week I've seen tons of awesome mining rig builds.  I haven't even had time to build one myself, but i'm looking forward to it.

As for large scale builds.  Just filling one L core with something meaningful is an insanely huge project for one person.  If i ever manage to build something that fills all five of my HQ tiles i think at that point, I'll be ready to try building a space station.

I would imagine they probably discussed a hard limit on how much land/space we can claim.  I don't think that would have seemed all that unreasonable, if it had been what they decided to do from the beginning.  Having no limit at all was pretty nuts.

I think having a soft limit that you can pay to exceed with in game money is a pretty good deal.

34 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

As a builder I'm going to have to disagree with that completely.

In the last week I've seen tons of awesome mining rig builds.  I haven't even had time to build one myself, but i'm looking forward to it.

As for large scale builds.  Just filling one L core with something meaningful is an insanely huge project for one person.  If i ever manage to build something that fills all five of my HQ tiles i think at that point, I'll be ready to try building a space station.

I would imagine they probably discussed a hard limit on how much land/space we can claim.  I don't think that would have seemed all that unreasonable, if it had been what they decided to do from the beginning.  Having no limit at all was pretty nuts.

I think having a soft limit that you can pay to exceed with in game money is a pretty good deal.

Ok , and what is the purpose of spiffy looking mining rig 'builds'? The answer is nothing, a flat platform with holes is all thats needed. They are just going to be scattered around so the surface of planets look like they have freckles. It's not like your really going to be motivated to spend $ on some 'nice' looking mining platform just to have it off in the wilderness where no one goes.

If you fixate the game from your "my 5 HQ squatter solo tiles" is all the territory anyone should ever want or need then your playing a different game then I am.

Territory hard limits? roflmao , there are not enough players to make use of 1 planet in this game never mind the ocean of useless territory out there.

Yes, there will always be some creative builders out there that get all excited about making some shinny new 'art' in DU, thats part of the games appeal. 95% of what they make has zero practical purpose in game.

This update is going to destroy a lot of the bigger org construction projects that existed in the game and disillusion the people that spent those countless hours you mention to fill large cores with builds. I myself was one of them. I am glad that you are happy building whatever you build in DU, good on ya. Most builders I have known in game barely participate in the game outside of using it as some game form of Blender. That group will not sustain the game. 

11 hours ago, Xennial said:

Ok , and what is the purpose of spiffy looking mining rig 'builds'? The answer is nothing, a flat platform with holes is all thats needed.

What kind of purpose are you looking for?

The voxels are kind of just armor or art, or both.  I'm not sure what you're expecting.  I build stuff because i want to look at it, maybe someone else will want to look at it too.

And it's very obviously not that 5 HQ tiles is all anyone would want or need.  Just all they need to have without lifting a finger.

If you're playing the game on some other level then everyone else, it seems like you should be able to figure out how to come up with a little Quanta to pay for a few more tiles to build on.

most of my problem right now is I use 4 - 6k of t1 and 3+k of t2 per hour, just to keep my current production lines going.  NQ Thinks I can run that on the amount of product I can extract from a single or few tiles, is just a waste of time.  I was slowly working up to building everything in the game.  I was running uncommon parts and some advanced parts. that is all on hold now since I can't go mine the stuff I need to run my line for more than an hour or two a day.  They said you can earn enough  from the auto miners to pay the taxes.  and they were right if it is tier two being extracted.  I see no point in playing a voxel based game if I can't mine, build , and use what I build with voxels.  It makes me sad that something with so much promise is in a death spiral.

Guess its time to go back to a multiplayer server on  space engineers

25655.jpg

On 11/29/2021 at 6:35 AM, Msoul said:

To be honest, be it in the updates or in the vlogs, the DU dev-team makes quite an arrogant impression, especially sesh. Its always "we know better" "we did the calculations" "we can't please everyone" etc. while they always have to scramble to fix or balance stuff after pretty much every large patch. And its not that those issues aren't known before, they're often pointed out by players which are ignored by aformentioned "arguments".

So yeah, the dev team has lost a lot of good will and rightly so. I do want the game to succeed, but currently they made a game thats barely playable for new players, and even older players will have a hard time when deflation hits. And please don't defend NQ with "Oh, new players can start by claiming their sanc territory, picking rocks and slowly building up, its hard but possible" Please remember, that a game is supposed to be fun. If its tedious to start, players wont stay. New players first have to have a lot of fun in the game before they are willing to grind. Else DUs playerbase will never grow.