Game breaking for new players

Sm0key

9 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

Where do they come from?

In the beginning, you can do this calculation with 5x Mining Unit S in the first week, you just make them in the Nanocrafter and then just exchange them. one then costs 200,000-300,000 quanta on the market at the moment.

Screenshot (4133).png

28 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

In the beginning, you can do this calculation with 5x Mining Unit S in the first week, you just make them in the Nanocrafter and then just exchange them. one then costs 200,000-300,000 quanta on the market at the moment.

Screenshot (4133).png

And how do you make the parts which are needed to make the Mining Unit? If you are noob that means you have no factory (or do not want to build a factory) nor schematics.

36 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

In the beginning, you can do this calculation with 5x Mining Unit S in the first week

That means you admit that your claim above (5.726.000 Quanta for a "Beginner" in the first week) is wrong. And if you extend it beyond the first week you will realize that the previous claim (develop much further than before the patch) is wrong as well. New players will be trapped on the Sanctuary tile with just a single halfway valuable T1 resource for a very long time. I guess most of them will never leave it because they will leave the game first.

2 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

And how do you make the parts which are needed to make the Mining Unit? If you are noob that means you have no factory (or do not want to build a factory) nor schematics.

You don't need a factory. It is enough for the MiningUnit S of the Nanocrafter.

2 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

That means you admit that your claim above (5.726.000 Quanta for a "Beginner" in the first week) is wrong. And if you extend it beyond the first week you will realize that the previous claim (develop much further than before the patch) is wrong as well. New players will be trapped on the Sanctuary tile with just a single halfway valuable T1 resource for a very long time. I guess most of them will never leave it because they will leave the game first.

What's wrong with that, in the first few weeks / in the first week. The s in weeks was missing in the translation.

Think about it, a new player does the tutorials for a few days, the first of which alone takes hours of play time to get to the area unit on Sanctuary. 

Accordingly, there are also quanta and skill points there when you have gone through all of them. so the first week goes by really fast. The 5 MiningUnits S also don't take long in the nanocrafter - you collect some ground ores anyway and slowly get into the game. 

For new players, the problem is not so much whether you can afford MiningUnits (L) after one or after 2 weeks, but that there is no game content besides that.

13 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

Where do they come from?

I have 4 Small Mining Units (crafted in my nanopack). 2 for Coal, 2 for Quartz. I collected 6390L of Coal and 6426L of Quartz in 15minutes (Calibration spawns). I also collect 70L per hour of Coal (100L Max) and 42L per hour of Quartz (61L Max) after that.  For a 24 hr period that comes to 8070L of Coal (@45q = 363 150q) and 7434L of Quartz (@36q = 267 624q) worth 630 774q right now based on buy orders at Alioth M6.
I actually have 8 charges so if I wanted I could have 8 units covering all 4 ore types.
However, I'm told new players start out with 1Mq and basic Mining Units L are costing 240 000q at Alioth M6. So that would be another way to go (not worth it IMHO).

19 hours ago, Msoul said:

Percent based taxes, yes for sure

new player talent boosts,  no dont do it eve online went that route and wasted the game totally. sp should be accrued as it is with no short cuts, there is value in the time spent training. start new players with a larger sp pool available from the tutorials. my wallet may say zero in it but my sp is over 60 million. 

1 hour ago, XKentX said:

DU ppl don't stop to amaze me.

When I joined the game I mined rocks for like 20 mins then started digging mines so I didnt know what it was capable of producing since obviously voxel mining was a better system at the time. Or that I only really mined rocks while I wated for orgmates to sell or grabbing enough to make some scrap if I didnt see any top level ground mines if I dinged an adjustor or something. Now that I had to put my mining exp into MU calibration talents or MU PDs and now have to wait for my talents to catch up to T3 mining over the next 24 days supplimenting ore with rocks made me curious on how much you can actually pull per day while we set up mining rigs and adapt one of our ships for asteroid mining or picking up a DSat.

Scoff all you want but turns out you can pull 100kl a day in ore, 15mil h, and get 12-15kl malachite, 10-12kl limestone (that you cant even get on planet anymore) and its pretty much on par with what was in each tile in terms of T2 I was getting on average. Sure im not getting the 400-600kl I was getting daily but considering I can pull 100kl and then get an additional 40kl with mini games ever 35 hours its almost a containers worth with every round of charges. If the rocks were better than 20L per rip with a variety or rock sizes and amounts, used mining talents with harvesting, or didnt despawn up to six rocks around me every time I harvested 1 rock I think I could have pulled 150kl per day which is enough to cover taxes on 15+ tiles a day for the week.

Thumb your nose at it but its a viable low cost option you can do on top of other activities.

And again scoff all you want but in any other MMO mining rocks IS the gathering system in pretty much 99% of the games on the market so /shrug. Im used to it so I dont see the big deal.

11 minutes ago, Warlander said:

When I joined the game I mined rocks for like 20 mins then started digging mines so I didnt know what it was capable of producing since obviously voxel mining was a better system at the time. Or that I only really mined rocks while I wated for orgmates to sell or grabbing enough to make some scrap if I didnt see any top level ground mines if I dinged an adjustor or something. Now that I had to put my mining exp into MU calibration talents or MU PDs and now have to wait for my talents to catch up to T3 mining over the next 24 days supplimenting ore with rocks made me curious on how much you can actually pull per day while we set up mining rigs and adapt one of our ships for asteroid mining or picking up a DSat.

Scoff all you want but turns out you can pull 100kl a day in ore, 15mil h, and get 12-15kl malachite, 10-12kl limestone (that you cant even get on planet anymore) and its pretty much on par with what was in each tile in terms of T2 I was getting on average. Sure im not getting the 400-600kl I was getting daily but considering I can pull 100kl and then get an additional 40kl with mini games ever 35 hours its almost a containers worth with every round of charges. If the rocks were better than 20L per rip with a variety or rock sizes and amounts, used mining talents with harvesting, or didnt despawn up to six rocks around me every time I harvested 1 rock I think I could have pulled 150kl per day.

And again scoff all you want but in any other MMO mining rocks IS the gathering system in pretty much 99% of the games on the market so /shrug. Im used to it so I dont see the big deal.

Well I would counter point that there were a lot of people in game who loved hunting for and mining out ore. They have effectively removed that entire playstyle from the game in favor of an overtaxed afk mining production. So really all this update did was remove a playstyle from the game. Those same players are not going to wander around clicking rocks over and over and be satisfied.

DU is now more then ever a game that "you can achieve anything --- so long as your willing to tolerate mind numbing repetition".  

9 minutes ago, Xennial said:

Well I would counter point that there were a lot of people in game who loved hunting for and mining out ore. They have effectively removed that entire playstyle from the game in favor of an overtaxed afk mining production. So really all this update did was remove a playstyle from the game. Those same players are not going to wander around clicking rocks over and over and be satisfied.

DU is now more then ever a game that "you can achieve anything --- so long as your willing to tolerate mind numbing repetition".  

For me it just set me back a month in Exp and im supplimenting while my talents catch up. I fully intend to asteroid mine once that happens and in the mean time figuring out ways to double/tripple up on money. For instance since missions require me to physically be there I can surrigate to my base while traveling and farm rocks while we are going to the destination and since most round trip missions take a couple of hours I can pick up an extra 40-60kl in rocks, drop 10 chrages and grab anouth 40-50kl and then make 21 mil from the missions.

Or if we go asteroid mining do the same thing and mine rocks until we spot an asteroid, pop charges for more ore, then mine an asteroid and do more mining while we travel and drop it off since you cant link in VR but you can drop off rocks its win win.

Im not above trying anything to increase income.

12 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

New players will be trapped on the Sanctuary tile with just a single halfway valuable T1 resource for a very long time.

Eh... Don't know about you, but I spent quite a bit of time at beta launch on Sanctuary. Eventually moved to Alioth via shuttle.

You can claim a tile there as your HQ tile, you can build structures, just not mine or manufacture there. You can still build from your backpack and on Sanctuary. You can share a tile with other newbies, but if you absolutely want to do it solo, it will take longer and more effort... Can they do it the same way we did at the start of beta, hell no! But it can be done. Don't want taxes but manufacture outside of sanctuary or your backpack, get into space and place a Space core.

3 hours ago, Xennial said:

... So really all this update did was remove a playstyle from the game...

No what it does and what its principle reason for being developed (yes some people were asking for something like this but that had nothing to do with why this feature was introduced) was to reduce the recurring operational cost of the game to make it more likely that the lights can be kept on. And for those who are about to respond that the lights should be turned off - go play another game, I won't miss you - I promise.

7 hours ago, JayleBreak said:

No what it does and what its principle reason for being developed (yes some people were asking for something like this but that had nothing to do with why this feature was introduced) was to reduce the recurring operational cost of the game to make it more likely that the lights can be kept on. And for those who are about to respond that the lights should be turned off - go play another game, I won't miss you - I promise.

Get ready for Cores to get taxed next, I can only imagine how much operational savings it would give them to have people only able to afford to have a couple personal cores and maybe 5-10 org cores

17 minutes ago, Xennial said:

Get ready for Cores to get taxed next, I can only imagine how much operational savings it would give them to have people only able to afford to have a couple personal cores and maybe 5-10 org cores

If more compulsory content comes in the form of more restrictions and controls, I will definitely leave the game. There are now enough limits that the game imposes on me, there was never any talk of that at the beginning. There is not much left of a huge infinite sandbox voxel building game.

1 hour ago, Xennial said:

Why do you think it would give such savings?  This should be interesting.

8 hours ago, JayleBreak said:

No what it does and what its principle reason for being developed (...) was to reduce the recurring operational cost of the game to make it more likely that the lights can be kept on.

If hope you are wrong because it would mean that the game is doomed. The reduction of operational costs will be scotched by the reduction of subscriptions. That would force NQ to reduce operational costs even further. At the end of this donward spiral there will be no game left.