In-game reporting now available - Discussion thread

NQ-Pann

Wensday huh? I'm sure Deckard is fine.  ^_^

Spoiler

LfYCgPDGKf7PSz8S-yut9OQU72_zqn940Ol4YWrt

On a more serious note I'm sure that this will be improved in the future? Will we be able to file a ticket in-game instead of needing to go over to the support website as we do currently?

6 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

But i wander what tools does NQ have to verify something like cheating. 

Do you really think this was implemented because of cheating .....?
As I said cancel culture .... it was implemented to protect overly "sensitive" players who feel insulted by comments on the internet and want a "safe space" ....

11 hours ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

As I said cancel culture ....

I think you are oversimplifying this. 

While cancel culture exists, so do abuses. 

Any tool used to report abuses can be used for cancel culture. 

Its up to NQ to decide what to do with any and all reports. They are the key to prevent this from being 100% for cancel culture. 

And my experience is that NQ tolerates tons of crap that they should not. So i think we are pretty safe from cancel culture here. 

But more importantly this functionality already existed, with an external site. 

The proper reaction to combat cancel culture is moderation, not cancelation of reporting. 

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Reporting abuses (griefing, cheating, exploits, inappropriate, etc.) is one thing.

But this is allot about taste.

Some ppl find some words offensive. Others find the context those words are used, offensive. 

At the end, cancel culture is not about who reports what. Cancel culture is about who takes action on the report. 

Administrators and moderators have to be assertive on their action. 

Moderation is not about how many ppl report something but about how serious was the thing reported. 

I belive this game feature is a great addition to the game. 

How NQ uses it, we will see. 

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

That's the whole problem. Cancel culture hinges on taste. What's "offensive" is at best about taste. Trying to eliminate the parts of reality that you don't like. It is strictly subjective, and it's not only immature but it borders on thought-police and mob-enforced totalitarianism straight out of 1984.

Lol, cancel culture IS the culture of who reports what...

And who takes action is the same company that thinks they should police what's "offensive". Almost all of the reporting options that they offer, are about things being "offensive".

Something being deemed "offensive" is never serious. Not ever. You can't have a serious discussion about anything, without someone finding it offensive. People need to grow up.

I'm all in favor of an in-game reporting system (insofar as I still give a shit about DU, which I don't really). Like I said, griefing, cheating, exploiting, etc.

Just not what NQ thinks is worth reporting or policing, which is almost exclusively about what's "offensive". This makes it instantly pathetic, not to mention useless.

This is not a binary subject. 

Never was, never will be. 

For starters, the world does not have one single culture with one single set of values. 

Even in the same region we will see older ppl having different values than younger ppl.

But even if the values were the same for everyone it would still not be a binary thing. 

Because context matters. 

An example:

I have no problem with someone saying the N word 1 time in the middle of a conversation. 

But i have a problem with someone spending their entire afternoon spamming the N word on direct chat. 

Those 2 situations are quite different. 

Another example. 

I have no issues with someone making 1 joke blonds. 

I have a issue of someone making a 100 line speech saying bad things abound blonds. 

Context matters. 

Can NQ make a report system that can understand context? No... 

Should they allow ppl to Ultra-abuse some "bad taste issue" into an offensive level? No... 

Than what can NQ do?

They can accept every report and quickly discart the useless ones. 

And U dont agree with you in your definition of cancel culture. 

Who cares how many likes some report has on Twitter.. Its not cancel culture until some official cancels the event as a response to those likes. 

Likes, tweets and posts have no value until someone acts upon them. 

The person that acts is the one creating the cancel culture, because its the one that "cancels". 

2 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

But i have a problem with someone spending their entire afternoon spamming the N word on direct chat. 

And I have a problem with you not having the right to actually even write out that infamous "N" word. Because apparently it is no problem if "one set of people" use that word but it is a "big no-no" if another set of people uses that word.
See?
Arbitrary free speech. And this is why this world has gone to shit.

5 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

And I have a problem with you not having the right to actually even write out that infamous "N" word. Because apparently it is no problem if "one set of people" use that word but it is a "big no-no" if another set of people uses that word.
See?
Arbitrary free speech. And this is why this world has gone to shit.

I belive that you can understand that someone that spams the N word is not trying to have a speach for it to be a free speach. 

That person is trying to provoke an aggressive reaction from the community. Because if the intent of the person( and not the use of the word it self) , moderation should happen. 

1 minute ago, joaocordeiro said:

I belive that you can understand that someone that spams the N word is not trying to have a speach for it to be a free speach. 

That person is trying to provoke an aggressive reaction from the community. Because if the intent of the person( and not the use of the word it self) , moderation should happen. 

Oh I am not talking about someone spamming that.
I am talking about YOU not even having the right to WRITE that word ONCE here.
That's what I am talking about.
That is "arbitrary free speech", as in "you are free to think and say WHATEVER you want, just don't say THESE SPECIFIC WORDS".
"Whatever you want" and "but not these words" is a contradiction.

You are not allowed to have a free opinion today. You are not allowed to freely speak.
Everything is moderated and curtailed as to not "offend" someone. Every edge is softened, everything must be watered down.
If you think that some phenomena is stupid, weird, down-right wrong or whatever, and that is YOUR opinion, you are still not allowed to say it. Because reasons.

Just now, sHuRuLuNi said:

Oh I am not talking about someone spamming that.
I am talking about YOU not even having the right to WRITE that word ONCE here.

Then you understand the need for a good moderation right? 

One that looks at the context where the N word was said and understand if it was a provocation or not. 

Just now, joaocordeiro said:

Then you understand the need for a good moderation right? 

One that looks at the context where the N word was said and understand if it was a provocation or not. 

I think you are on purpose doing so as if you do not understand what I am saying.

THERE SHOULD BE NO BLOODY MODERATION.

FREE SPEECH means F R E E speech. As in: you should be free to say whatever the hell you want --- "I just said this one thing here. What, you feel offended by that?! GET THE FUCK OVER IT."

You cannot "promote free speech" but then go and ban certain words.

It reminds me of Orwell's "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others"

It also reminds me of Battlefield V (a game I hate with passion) where in the chat you could write "black man", "asian man" but the words "white man" were censored.

Do you see now where this leads?

Tomorrow someone will Report me or you because they find our player name or our Org name "offensive". It doesn't matter that that notion is stupid, illogical and wrong - it matters that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE feels "offended" by it.

So they will moderate YOU and ME.

Just now, sHuRuLuNi said:

THERE SHOULD BE NO BLOODY MODERATION.

But didn't you just agreed with me that spamming the chat with the N word is not ok? 

Should we allow someone to spend 3 hours sharing, on general chat, their sexual activities with goats? 

How are we suposed to prevent that kind of abuse to happen without moderation? 

Just now, joaocordeiro said:

But didn't you just agreed with me that spamming the chat with the N word is not ok? 

No I did no such thing. I said it is not about someone SPAMMING, it is about YOU not being allowed to WRITE one single WORD here IN THIS FORUM.

And if someone wants to spend 3 hours writing in the general chat about their sexual activities I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK. He should be free to do so if he so wishes.
You can have normal functions in the chat where you cannot flood the chat - as in, yo write 2 messages then you have a delay of 30 seconds or so before you can write again - which is a normal standard function used in many Live Chats.

ONCE MORE: I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE CONTENT OF WHAT HE IS WRITING. He is free to write whatever the hell he wants.

2 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

No I did no such thing. I said it is not about someone SPAMMING, it is about YOU not being allowed to WRITE one single WORD here IN THIS FORUM.

And if someone wants to spend 3 hours writing in the general chat about their sexual activities I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK. He should be free to do so if he so wishes.
You can have normal functions in the chat where you cannot flood the chat - as in, yo write 2 messages then you have a delay of 30 seconds or so before you can write again - which is a normal standard function used in many Live Chats.

ONCE MORE: I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE CONTENT OF WHAT HE IS WRITING. He is free to write whatever the hell he wants.

Free speech on a companies platform where you agree to be moderated as the company sees fit?

Are you suffering a brain injury and do you need assistance?

5 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

But most of us do. 

And there is a legal requirement for this game to be rated for 14+ instead of 18+

1 hour ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

FREE SPEECH means F R E E speech. As in: you should be free to say whatever the hell you want --- "I just said this one thing here. What, you feel offended by that?! GET THE FUCK OVER IT."

I am sorry, but this is a very common misconception. And before we start let us be clear that I agree that the whole "right to not be offended" thing while fundamentally good, has gotten way out of hand. So please don't shoot the messenger.

So back to the misconception.

Free speech means that you can say and mean whatever you want, and not be legally prosecuted for it. That's it.

Free speech on the other hand DOES NOT mean you have a right to publish whatever you want, wherever you want. Simply because the owners of media (facebook, forums, news papers whatever) also have a right to decide what type of content they want to have published within the borders of the media they own.

I believe Joaocordeiro and CptLsRes are correct here. A good moderator examines the context of the statement then decides if its an opinion or an attack. Larger communities ban words/phrases commonly used/construed as insults because moderation is extremely difficult once you get past a certain size. Allowing the N word means that everytime it is used (regardless of context) a percentage of the userbase will choose to make a report, creating congestion/backlogs (moderators do not grow on trees). Conversely, disallowing the N word allows for more responsive and effective moderation.

Now back to the main topic, the new in-game reporting tool looks much easier to use and I especially like how you made it a drop down menu with report categories specific to what was selected. My only suggestions would be to add an "other" category to the quick dropdown menu for edge cases. Also the instructions on the right could use some refinement. For example, the current GDPR disclaimer and abuse disclaimer are a little vague. Maybe provide some examples to clarify and add in more detailed instructions based on report type.

report_abuse.png