One of the clear reasons why NQ will wipe (at leat once, shortly before releaase)

Novean-32184

THIS comment ..

I have no doubt some invalid beta accounts will have gotten away with murder when NQ tried to remove them last year, as has been the case many times over the past year with exploits NQ mostly left alone. In general, there wil be massive numbers of accounts no longer active and expecting all these beta keys to convert to paying accounts at release is apipedream I expect even NQ woul dnot dare image happening. A massive portion of the world, including tiles on Sanctuary wil lbe dead constructs littered around. Not that is not the cas enow, but that will be something NQ wil lneed to address.

So...

It's one of the reasons why I am pretty much convinced there will be a wipe shortly before release as all Beta keys will then be deactivated anyway and backers will need to start using DAC on their main accounts. Perfect time to clear out the mess and start fresh.

I'd wager that a lot of those saying they'd leave in fact will not and that a wipe shortly before release will actually see player numbers increase.

In fact, I'd be willing to take that at 2:1, anyone interested feel free to contact me ..

If NQ for one second believed they could get away with it, they would have wiped multiple times already.

Would have solved a bunch of technical problems and made life much easier for them.

So maybe there is a reason why they have not, like knowing the answers from the surveys they sent out and things like that..

The topic that never dies.

NovaQuark have all the statistics on wealth/asset distributions. By comparing this data with the rate of new player progression, they will evaluate how much of a headstart exists and adjust accordingly. If they need to perform a wipe then they will undoubtedly provide compensation in some form (DACs, physical merchandise, exclusive items, talent points, etc).

With that said, a full wipe is an extreme case and there are alternatives solutions. Maybe they narrow the gap by giving new players a quanta/talent boost, or maybe they devalue existing assets via balance changes and element attrition. Perhaps they restrict beta items so that they can no longer be sold/traded, thereby letting old players keep their stuff for personal use without affecting the new player economy. Anything is possible for NovaQuark since they are the literal creators of this universe.

What do you think they will do? What level of compromise would you be willing to accept in order to ensure DU's success?

I guess they will make that decision when they are close to release.  If they have a large playerbase who is paying lots of money they will probably not wipe ( I acknowledge its unlikely).  However if the player base is small.  Then they might well go for a full wipe.  New players and players who started but never came back might get in knowing that the game is fixed and its a new start.  We probably cant unbreak the egg but I think most of us know the game is in Alpha and really my subscription is a donation.

16 minutes ago, Underhook said:

I guess they will make that decision when they are close to release. 

I am sure they allready made the decision to wipe shortly before release.

As they have, they wil/can allow a good level of disruption and damage to the game as they bring in the mechanics they plan to have ready at release. And all of that is textbook Alpha stage game development where such wipe happens shortly before beta (which is what release will actually be).

56 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

I am sure they allready made the decision to wipe shortly before release.

If they are planning to do that (very big if), then at the very least they should do us the courtesy and saying so.

Anything else would be disingenuous towards builder type players. And if nothing else, so that I can call it quits and find something better to waste my spare time on.

14 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

If they are planning to do that (very big if), then at the very least they should do us the courtesy and saying so.

Anything else would be disingenuous towards builder type players. And if nothing else, so that I can call it quits and find something better to waste my spare time on.

Which is precicely why they won't tell either way

I geuss they will never do a wipe anymore. Faci is that maybe 100 Players logging in daily. Most players have stopped playing. If they wipe the game is just empty. All builded things are gone away and no one will rebuild it. So everybody see that game is empty. 

With the wrong decisions of the devs this game will lose more players as it generates new players. If they ever make a wipe - i guess no one will play anymore. 

9 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

THIS comment ..

I have no doubt some invalid beta accounts will have gotten away with murder when NQ tried to remove them last year, as has been the case many times over the past year with exploits NQ mostly left alone. In general, there wil be massive numbers of accounts no longer active and expecting all these beta keys to convert to paying accounts at release is apipedream I expect even NQ woul dnot dare image happening. A massive portion of the world, including tiles on Sanctuary wil lbe dead constructs littered around. Not that is not the cas enow, but that will be something NQ wil lneed to address.

So...

It's one of the reasons why I am pretty much convinced there will be a wipe shortly before release as all Beta keys will then be deactivated anyway and backers will need to start using DAC on their main accounts. Perfect time to clear out the mess and start fresh.

Once those people activated those keys even if they were disabled were then sold on gold farming or account sites @$50 a pop so those who didnt have those keys could still get alts with ticking exp that made them worth the purchase since you could just jump in with 50mil in industry/mining/piloting exp or any form of resources or Quanta you wanted/needed.

And since you could buy a litteral alt army with either the legit or disabled keys you could pretty much run roughshod over the mission system not to mention any friends who quit the game that either sold their accounts or let their friends borrow their account since lots of power guilds/orgs started bought the alpha packs used all their beta keys and left could lend accounts in whatever tune they wanted.

There is a mass surplus of quanta in the game NQ is seeking to remove as a reverse wipe since they could at any time manipulate the market as if they ever really stopped and they know the inflation is out of control so they are consolidating and foring liquidation of ore and goods and at the same time burning off consumables in some feeble attempt to flush the system of quanta, consumables, resources, and people since this patch is terrible and kills mining, industry, and missions all at the same time in one fell swoop with endless tiles that seem profitable now but will end up losing you more money when all the ore prices drop requiring manipulation by NQ or if not it still benefits them since it will further consolidate all the dead tiles, inactive accounts, and players who dont like the new IRS simulator they have built that will eventually cause those players to lose everything they have amassed to the benefit of sub paying customers to get freeloaders off the books.

It will still require a wipe even though they are wiping the server on the back end it will lead to many strange economic happenings and eventually forced PvP to cause catastrophic game ending events to occur in a domino effect of people being forced out the door.

well they said in the past they won't wipe if not forced to by unsolvable issues or something like this. i guess this was good enough for a lot to put a lot of hours in the game - i guess a lot will never look back if all is wiped and this includes players that build a lot in the past years and have stopped playing for now waiting for additions that appeal to them.

another reason was also that basically the game was meant as a civ building game too and that a universe filled with outposts/starbases and what not offering a foundation for new players to join into is better as a empty universe. a lot of the stuff that is there will never be rebuild and there is a lot of cool stuff around.

i'd say if the wipe after all the info that was given they will kill off a good junk of their long following and dedicated player base - mind you that this will not only be those that are playing now. so far i think NQ knows this and therefore is very sensible with wiping (see scan results, which in this case was the right call still :P) and i very much doubt they will do a full wipe on release. i for one am attached to the game for the stuff i built, if i would have to start over by now i doubt i would bother and would just move on.

2 hours ago, Vhaeyne said:

Here is my promise to NQ. 

If they wipe the server. They lose me as a player. 

That is not up for debate. I have plenty of other block games in my backlog.

And sadly this is a promise that is easy to keep, since (except for time spent) there really isn't much worth in the game that makes it hard to leave at the moment.

23 hours ago, miaminice said:

I geuss they will never do a wipe anymore. Faci is that maybe 100 Players logging in daily. Most players have stopped playing. If they wipe the game is just empty. All builded things are gone away and no one will rebuild it. So everybody see that game is empty. 

With the wrong decisions of the devs this game will lose more players as it generates new players. If they ever make a wipe - i guess no one will play anymore. 

They cant lose what they dont have  :)

20 hours ago, Warlander said:

It will still require a wipe even though they are wiping the server on the back end it will lead to many strange economic happenings and eventually forced PvP to cause catastrophic game ending events to occur in a domino effect of people being forced out the door.

Of course it will, which is why a wipe where you get to keep blueprints and get yoru accrued talent point  back to the pool is simply unavoidable as it is the only way to remove all the damage that has built up and clear the game of everything liked to beta key accounts. 

I expect that NQ will make an announcment a month or so prior to "release" which will be they will do a wipe in this way a week prior to release and deactivate all beta keys at that time as to give those on beta keys time to buy game time. Any "converted/extended" beta key account will remain active in the week prior to release.

7 hours ago, Vhaeyne said:

But is they are losing you and get 10 old / new players in...... might be something they have to do anyway

7 hours ago, Muhadmananda said:

well they said in the past they won't wipe if not forced to by unsolvable issues or something like this.

The never said they would not wipe again, not once. They said that they have no intention of doing a wipe, but will if they have no alternative. The damage to the game caused by many different exploits, including duplication of beta keys, configuration issues and lets not forget the massive wrecks exploit allowing many backers to gain warpdrives, scanners and more the first hours of the game after the full wipe a week before "Balpha" started.

And so, NQ is trying to prevent a wipe and Demeter is a big part of that. But due to the damage done previously and the lack of action from NQ in these caes, Demeter is not going to solve a thing. 

Everyone can and should have their own thoughts on this, mine are that NQ has already decided to do at least one wipe close to release and is IMO clearly basing what they currently do on that internal fact. The server population is minimal, the few that will actually leave on a wipe will be _vastly_ outnumbered by those either coming back or seeing that as the perfect time to enter.

7 hours ago, Muhadmananda said:

i'd say if the wipe after all the info that was given they will kill off a good junk of their long following and dedicated player base 

The "long following" have mostly left for a number of reasons. The dedicated playerbase I can't see being large enough to sustain the viability of the game and so their relevance is not very high at best.

9 hours ago, Vhaeyne said:

Same here along with most people I know in the game. They said no wipe under JC, I'm holding them to it.