As a game...

Daphne Jones

I have to say Demeter pretty much sucks so far.

After spending eight hours scanning I found one hex that only sucks badly and a bunch of hexes that suck horribly. I grabbed the one that sucks badly, cause I don't have any reason to think I'll find anything better. If the ore market doesn't collapse it might pay it's own taxes. Fun on a scale of 1 to 10: -5 (that's minus 5).

The calibration minigame isn't as much fun as hand mining... by a long shot.

My friend found a hex that could produce 60kl coal per week... under optimal conditions... and said "not bad". (That does suck less than anything I found). He used to mine 600kl in a couple of hours. Slow production 100 fold and what happens? Economic collapse.

Not optimistic.

I am pretty damn upset myself.

Starting us with zero calibration charges was an extra kick in the nuts.

My optimism is very low. This is not fun.

The old mining was at least mildly amusing. This is just painful.

I don't think I have been this annoyed with a game since No Man Sky launched.

Well, ive seen pictures of people who have 'good' rates like 2000l/h, but that still is 1 minute of mining before demeter.

The surface rocks that will rake your T2 in at 20litres per 10 seconds (thats with walking to the next rock.)

Thats a solid 7200litres per hour with non auto-mining! (the middle mouse button)

Im a solo player who almost never sells ore and only uses it for building.

I think this will destroy the markets but we will see how it goes.

I scanned for 2-3 hours yesterday evening before going to bed. Guess what? Its all Bauxite (and a lil Quartz). And terrible rates around 300-400 too. Wheres all the other ore, especially the other T1's? Resources on tiles seem so rare now...

2 hours ago, decom70 said:

I scanned for 2-3 hours yesterday evening before going to bed. Guess what? Its all Bauxite (and a lil Quartz). And terrible rates around 300-400 too. Wheres all the other ore, especially the other T1's? Resources on tiles seem so rare now...

My biggest fear was that this would be a chore. I hate chores. Mining was something I wanted to do. 

When I was broke, I could take things into my hand and go mine. Now I have to babysit this system and plan ahead. I hate it.

If I wanted to babysit and waste all of my free time just to maybe have something cool to look at in the end, I would invest in a salt water fish tank. At least with a salt water fish tank visitors to the house would be impressed... No one likes it when they come over, and I try to show them the ships on my computer...

2 hours ago, decom70 said:

Its all Bauxite (and a lil Quartz). And terrible rates around 300-400 too. Wheres all the other ore, especially the other T1's?

That seems to be the general pattern. It just depends on the locations which T1 is in the 300-400 range. Yesterday I scanned 2 clusters of each 7 tiles in two different regions of Alioth. In one case it was always Hematite in the other always Quartz. Everything else was below 100 and T2 (Malachite) even below 40.

Maybe the idea is that the distribution shall look like deposits. That would mean that with bad luck you can scan hundreds of tiles and only getting scrap or you are lucky, find a deposit and have a lot of good tiles at once. This is good for orgs and bad for solo players (once again).

Yeah.. Imagine being a solo player hitting it big time with the mother load spread over many tiles around you.

Just claiming and maintaining those tiles will be a huge chore for a solo, and all the time you know the moment territory wars is introduced they will likely be lost.

Not really a big incentive for "civilization building" is it?

20 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

Yeah.. Imagine being a solo player hitting it big time with the mother load spread over many tiles around you.

Just claiming and maintaining those tiles will be a huge chore for a solo, and all the time you know the moment territory wars is introduced they will likely be lost.

Claiming those is easy. With a single character I do about 9 scans an hour, but also claim ~30 tiles an hour.

If the automining is a chore, it will be less so on top tier tiles (more ore per tile, more autominers per tile, less moving around, less taxes), not more of a chore.

BUT as a solo player you can either:

1.) Exploit it for as long as you can.

2.) Sell it to another player or org.

3.) Rent out the tiles.

As for planetary warfare, implementation of that is so far away, that it is not very relevant for the discussion at the moment. The initial details of which as stated are also so full of holes that it isn't feasible as that concept. What kind of or IF we get Planetary warfare at all is totally up for grabs at the moment. I think you should be more worried about DU closing up shop then any future potential PW scenario's. Just look how much 'progress' we've made since beta launch: One step forward, two steps back...