Calling this a "GAME" is laughable.

Snipey

I don't understand why NQ is making so many drastic short sighted design changes without fixing the core of the game.

I have played this game for over 1 year now and have only seen them take features and ruin mechanics without seeing them fully realized. All while at the same time ignoring basic QOL features like what I mentioned.

GROUP SYSTEM

Its 2021 I fail to see how in 1 year you fail to implement such a desired change. Literally EVERY SINGLE MMO has a group system.

HIGHER TIER UNIT BONUSES ON LOWER TIER ITEMS

Why can I not use higher tier units to produce items more efficiently without sinking into skills?

BETTER ORG ASSET MANAGEMENT

Why are all of the orgs assets I belong to all in an unsortable mess on the map screen. Do you understand how hard it is to have a company ship and being unable to find it among 400+ constructs?

COMPANY CHARTERS

If you are so worried about org abuse. CREATE A MINIMUM PLAYER COUNT.

Make it so you need to get 5-6 people to sign your contract in order to even start an org.

PVP STATION SAFEZONE BUBBLES

Self explanatory. Why cant you defend a station in PVP space????

TOGGLE PLAYER LOCK IN FRIENDS LIST

Why is this not a setting? It seems to be the most basic thing to add.

Why are you trying to kill your "game" (or whatever is left that you want to call a "game")?

Most of the patches they have done seem to be what was left in the pipeline from when those systems were being developed until their buget forced NQ to rush them out chalked full of more and more bugs, perfoance drops, red tape, sinks, epxloits, etc. Then it seems like the new CEO came in and saw what was really going on behind the curtain and was like mining needs to go, we need more for paying subs, and rush this flop tomarket so we can milk the freeloaders for subs and really pitch it as the metaverse platform JC origionally wanted to huck as a tech demo for perspective studios or investors.

13 hours ago, Snipey said:

I don't understand why NQ is making so many drastic short sighted design changes without fixing the core of the game.

Why are you trying to kill your "game" (or whatever is left that you want to call a "game")?

Because NQ is trampling water, throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something will stick. Unelss they are really good at hiding it, there seem s to not be a long term plan at all and it's all about scambling to try and make something work long enough to mak eit to the next billing cycle.

MMO game design is long term planning, it mean you set a goal for 2-3 years from now and start buidling towards that. It is what makes games like EVE persist where changes seen now were part of a plan put in motion literally 5 years ago. Regardless of what label NQ puts on DU, it is a released live service game for whcih they charge people money to play. Yet they are still showing al the signs of being in a very early alpha stage where they really do not yet have the full picture of where the game needs to go.

Frankly all this finds it's origin in this statement by JC in 2014:

Yes, developing a MMO as an indie studio can sound a bit crazy! The important thing to see is that the design of the game is based on what is called “emergent gameplay”: the players are going to create their world, their stories, and their destiny. Unlike other MMOs, we don’t create tons of content like cities or quests, but we give the players a sandbox to create their own. This is making the project more feasible as we are more a tech company than a content company.

SOURCE

The core of DU is designed to be literally a sandbox, it is not designed to have content provided or created by NQ, this is why as they found out that this plan would never work, all the things they put in place are duct taped on instead of integral parts of the game design. From the above quote JC also clear never really understood what emergent gameplay means, and that hold true for a lot of things NQ has done and seems to still do. 

Emergent gameplay is what happens if players take EXISTING game content/elements and use it for entirely different purposes, creating actual new gameplay in the process. It is not "here is a box of sand and a bucket, now you go build a massive castle because we have no idea how to do that".

NQ is a tech company all right, problem is their tech is seriously flawed and not up for the job it was envisioned for. And instead of fixing the tech, they are now scrambling themselves to try and create the content which they discover is not really possible due to their core tech. And so they need to strip it all back to basics and nerf everything to the point it becomes a UI panel with no actual interaction with the world at all.

DU is still a good idea but he execution is severely flawed. IMO it can't be fixed without tearing down the house and for a huge part starting over.