Demeter 0.27 Release - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

On 11/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Sevian said:

I am 100% convinced that this just a tech demo and nothing else. That fact they are treating this less and less as a game, only reinforces this thought.

If this is a tech demo, what they are demonstrating is an inability to scale and perform after over 7 years working on the core tech. 

This idea that DU's tech is worth something is puzzling to me and it keeps coming up around here. The only worthwhile tech here is arguably the voxel to mesh conversions, which implements a public algorithm.

If their intent was actually to sell this tech and not build a game, they would have ended this a long time ago.

No one spends over 7 years across two offices and 50+ employees on a "tech demo". 

Also....to what market would they sell this tech...? Any studio with funds enough to buy the tech would have funds enough to develop it themselves, which is a lot better than trusting a first-time studio that failed to build a robust product.

So if DU is merely a "tech demo", it's a really really bad demo that wouldn't convince anyone -- and after over 7 years, you'd need to license this (unscalable) tech for a ton of money or to a lot of studios, which...again...no one is going to pay that sort of money for tech that doesn't work at scale. 

DU is a game. It was always made to be a game. It was never meant to be a "tech demo". It just isn't a well designed game, which is why it feels like a tech demo and likely always will. 

Make the missions usable again with VR.
Players with many ALTS didn't mind the change anyway and players who flown these missions for many other players are the only ones who have disadvantages as a result. Together with taxes, this change makes absolutely no sense.
Currently the game only consists of calibrating the mining units and flying mission stations to accept missions and give them back.. The gamestyle isnt really funny anymore.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:25 PM, Stormis said:

Players with many ALTS didn't mind the change anyway and players who flown these missions for many other players are the only ones who have disadvantages as a result. Together with taxes, this change makes absolutely no sense.
Currently the game only consists of calibrating the mining units and flying mission stations to accept missions and give them back.. The gamestyle isnt really funny anymore.

Yeah all the alts are now just stowaways now anyhow.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, Stormis said:

100 % True, I think Game is on wrong turn. I hope NQ will not polished this game and sell . Please come back and listen to our costumer

On 12/6/2021 at 6:25 AM, Stormis said:

I dont have any alts, I can finally get missions.  So, for me its much better than before.

8 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

What prevents you from doing missions before Demeter?

Before Demeter (I came back 2 weeks before) every day I looked for missions but they were all awful.  Either they were way more weight than I could carry or they were very small Alioth to Alioth missions that cost more in fuel than they paid.  After Demeter I can every day find at least one mission going my way that pays good.  For example I'm on Thades and going to Ion.  Yep, theres a mission I can do.  Previously zero.

8 hours ago, Underhook said:

Before Demeter (I came back 2 weeks before) every day I looked for missions but they were all awful.  Either they were way more weight than I could carry or they were very small Alioth to Alioth missions that cost more in fuel than they paid.  After Demeter I can every day find at least one mission going my way that pays good.  For example I'm on Thades and going to Ion.  Yep, theres a mission I can do.  Previously zero.

this has nothing to do with Demeter

Hi DU citizens,

TLDR : Demeter changes induces compulsive playing. Market flooded with ore. Taking a break from DU. Please bring back JC as chief architect/designer.

The mining changes with Demeter has reduced the freedom to mine whenever we wanted to on our whims and fancies. Territory rent and need to calibrate the mining units has made it harder for casual players. Either be a serious miner or don't mine at all! It has introduced compulsive gaming behaviour in a sandbox game. When there are 8+ tiles with mining units, it becomes compulsive behaviour to keep calibrating the MUs, so that it mines enough ore to pay tile rent and make some profit on the top of it.

With mining tiles becoming a compulsive game play, everyone is flooding the market with ores, leading crash in ore price. And there is no proper ore sink yet, in the way of PvP and ships getting destroyed. This is creating imbalance in the DU economics.

In Demeter, if only the mining units were introduced and no other changes like tile rent, infinite ore distribution, flat tile claiming cost, it would have been better off. Due to exponential tile claiming cost, it would not have been economical to claim beyond certain number of tiles at the same time for mining purpose. Tile claiming cost would have been like one time tax payment. As a money sink for mining units, fuel or electricity requirement could have been introduced. When we mine, we pay. Not a continuous tax, irrespective of we mine or not. We could mine whatever was there in our tiles, whenever we wanted without having the need to keep logging in every two days to tend them. With the ores getting depleted, tile scanning game play would have still been relevant. Now tile scanning is irrelevant once good tiles have been acquired.

To the DU thinktank and leadership: It appears there is no clear purpose and vision for DU. It is easy to get lost by doing too many trial and error changes. I think it's time to bring back JC at the helm. From what I see, if it were not for JC, DU would not have even reached this awesome level, which was before Demeter. History shows it very well, all great companies had great visioneries at the helm to see it through tough time, Tesla, SpaceX - Elon Musk, Apple - Steve Jobs. It appears current managment / investors are mostly interested in making money by licensing the multiverse game engine with unique voxel engine and have lost interest in the core DU vision.  

I have decided to take a break from this compulsive gaming. I am Kickstarter backer and I say this lot of dissappointment. May be it's for the best, I will be focusing more on real life!

Please bring back JC as chief architect / designer of the DU and DU will have a future. 

Those who are enjoying the Demeter update, have fun! Adios!

54 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Whats the cause  then?

Aphelia missions are generated by the game and are only visible to you. The fact that NQ removed the Alts does not change the principle of the missions. All players have the same number of mission choices going to the same destinations :) Maybe NQ has added some extra missions but there hasn't been any real change on it.

4 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

Aphelia missions are generated by the game and are only visible to you. The fact that NQ removed the Alts does not change the principle of the missions. All players have the same number of mission choices going to the same destinations :) Maybe NQ has added some extra missions but there hasn't been any real change on it.

Thank you.  I did not realise that.  I thought we all drew from the same pool.  

Mining outcome is much too low, picking up rocks is much more efficient but kills the urge to play.

An expected NQ induced incentive on using the MU with callibration will probably be to stop people from being able to grab surface rocks, I would urge to reconcider as this will really kill off any starter or casual player. To be honest ores per tile are about a factor 10 to 100 to low per hr to make DU pass a year into existence, let alone grow in player numbers, nobody can PvP Or PvE on current materials per day. The only reason people still play is for their ore reserves, give it a month or two and those are gone and we are at breaking point.

NQ has no sense of urgency to fix their product. 

They can call it beta all they want (we know it's years from being a real beta) -- once you make the game public and decide to charge real money, you're in a form of early release by definition. 

New player experience is next on their roadmap, but it's basically broken now. Just as people said it would be. Multiple times.

Mining balance is clearly an issue post-Demeter. Just as people said it would be. Many many times. 

Even if NQ ignores all the feedback pre-launch....it's puzzling to meet a bad patch with silence and shrugs.

They seem to think they can just wait and deal with things next patch...they still treat this like a closed alpha product where it's expected that things break often. Where we are "lucky" to be testing it.

There's no sense at all that this is a live game they with paying customers. 

Then they'll whine and remind players that "this is a beta and we're still trying things out...you all don't understand the process..." -- the reality is that they don't understand the process. That's been abundantly clear to everyone except NQ's leadership for a long time now.