Demeter 0.27 Release - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

Welcome to the afk simulator.  Setup your mining units, wait for calibrations to arrive.  Calibrate your machines, wait for the pitiful amount of ore to arrive.  Spend a week accumulating enough ore to build something for 5 mins.  Back to EVE I guess.

These numbers need adjusting.  I don't have the energy to go on about this as everyone is saying the same.  No point providing feedback because it falls on deaf ears.  Nothing has changed from the pts, these numbers seem largely the same from what I can see.

15 minutes ago, Zireaa said:

I never understand why the ground did not regenerate over time  it never seamed like a good idea two

me and at this point I think NQ is just trying two take the easy way out  rather than developing this 

Yeah me either.

I think Landmarks healing was a little intense but since they do maintnence pretty often they could have just applied a script to do a quick erosion/smoothing pass to increase performance, then do a quick world heal pass, and then fill in like 25+ dead tiles on each moon/planet before the server goes back up. We didnt ever have to see it in motion.

They probably thought world healing was the same thing as regenerating ore and since it was finite they wrote it off early on as being realistic or something since it opens up a can of worms and now we have infinitely finite resources. At some point people are going to come into the game teraform their base or leave and there are going to be huge square holes where people were not able to steal everything and someone else will go there since the rates are poor and add to the damage and eventually we will be right back to where we started again.

1 minute ago, Bobbie said:

What is the actual functional difference between the S and the L units?

All that NQ has said about it afaik is that they're "intended for beginners", which doesn't really say anything.

Base volume, 50 for a small, 100 for a large.  Get more bang for your buck if you place larges.

2 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

What is the actual functional difference between the S and the L units?

All that NQ has said about it afaik is that they're "intended for beginners", which doesn't really say anything.

A S Unit can pull 50l/h but comes out, after calibration, at 20l/h. 

A L Unit pulls 100l/h, after calibration around 50l/h. 

So while I am unable to log in anyway, here my thoughts about Demeter so far:

-Mining units are fine for the most part, it would be nice if charge gain and calibration loss was both halved, just so that you dont have to log in every single day. We all know I will anyway, but the game shouldnt persuade you that hard.

-Headquarters are nice enough, it will just take a week or two for people to finally understand the concept "you still have to pay to have machines active, it is just immune to loss".

-I have noticed no difference regarding loading times or other benefits of the dirt reset, but plenty of other people are amazed they can now "VR someplace, or use scanners, like other people can". I wasnt even aware it was so shit for some others.

-Was still not able to find the "element overlapping" sign anywhere.

-But I do now have some weird bar across the minimap, even outside build mode, is that it? ?

-You got rid of mass info while flying, I liked checking my total cargo there, when I forgot to long to container or just have multiple hubs. This is not even in the patch notes, was it on purpose?

-I dont see updates on the updated roadmap.

-Not sure what rendering change there is to industry units, I had a good look when restart machines for 4 hours after the downtime, but they are still the same. And still show the wrong light colours and like to just get fucked all the time.

-Force field change is nice.

-Underwater landing is even harder now, because water is muddier.

-Most of the "UI" polish is hard to judge without direct comparison, I really cant tell.

-Space fuel XS, nice.

-

Mining unit collision is massively bigger a few seconds after deploying. So if you place a few, you then have to rearrange them so they dont overlap.

-Added "view market page"! Hell yes, thx guys, I think most people didnt even notice this one yet. 

-People who made DSATs had their 60M schematics turned into 3M schematics without compensation. 

-People who owned DSATs, had their 16M items turned into a 1.7M item, with no compensation. 
Instead of just introducing a new basic DSAT that only works on basic and common asteroids. Solving the same issue, but without fucking some people over.

-VR-mission change: There are two kinds of people (with some overlap) who do the big moneymaker missions.

Car-pool guys, where 20 people VR to one guy with a ship to take and turn in the mission.

Alt guys, where a guy and his 20 alts do the mission.

The car pool guys at least did something that, while imbalanceds in the game, was in theory available to everybody, you got rid of that. The Alt guys can continue unhindered. Why not use one of the working solutions?

-Weapon changes: Nobody bloody cares. 
I did the extremely hard math and found out that there are more engines in use than weapons, why not balance those for once? Just put pvp balancing on ice for now, it is a bottomless pit for dev time in some dirty shitcorner of the game most people dont visit anyway.

-Plenty of DC, lag, prolonged wait time, inability to log in, which I guess goes away in a day or two anyway.

Can you please hire a guy with the only job being to point out how something might be shit?  This game has issues, you come up with solutions, those solutions however often are flawed and turn out worse than the issue they try to fix. The dedicated "pointing out how this could be shit"-guy, would help.

i can only agree on the point that i would prefer the old mining gameplay style alot more over this, the income is too low an limiting for a single player.

the suggested tile restauration / reset would be the best way to avoid the cheese hole effect which increased costs so much.

if they had that option i hope they still think about it with the new voxel system, storing a hash for each tile ( if the planet surface and the tile is bound together at all)

- terraforming should reset after a given time, if necessary with a maintenance downtime

- keeping alterations to terrain could use a new item which disables terrains reset in its area of effect using some kind of fuel so its not infinite for inactive accounts

this of course would need alot of dev time, i doubt the have a seed for every tile, they would have to create that, if its even possible

generating new planet hashes every month or so to keep the terrain alteration data small is probably also too expensive

suggenstion:

maybe underground mining could return as a local client based activity. with some kind of drilling machine ( vr) that you connect to and all changes to the terrain below the surface are only visible to that "drill" while drilling and are instantly forgoten when leaving the drilling session.

this would result in no data transfer to other players, not to the server ( or very small for tracking the ore nodes) and not eat any memory in the database.

14 hours ago, miaminice said:

Right now it is like log on 30 days for 5 minutes every day to calibrate and 1 day gaming with the material mined in that 30 days -.-

That's what the industry calls a glorified mobile game, log in to get your bonus, kick the cans and log out untill you progress enough to stop "playing" for 5 min and progress over weeks and months to playing 30 min and then an hour. Fun!

Now, if you want quanta with mission, you need to subscribe many alt acount and let them disconnect on you mission ship instead of VR

Removing VR mission is not a big change for multi account player, but it's a huge loss for real player that will spend more time for the same result.
Now we need to warp, take the mission, and once the transport done, warp to destination and retrive mission
I realy don't see the goal of that idea.
It's also complety remove the hauler gameplay, I was use to to mission for may other player and of curse be payed for that

So this year NQ remove :
Hauler gameplay

Combat Engineer gameplay
Multi-crew PVP ship gameplay
etc...

I just love that all the hard work I did traveling to planets, putting resources down, building up buildings: will just now be abandoned because I don't want to pay fucking 4mil/month in taxes in a god damn space game.

I literally just got my bill for the annual property tax for my house, so it just feels extra ironic. Why the hell should I or anyone else continue to play this "game"? Name one fun aspect of the game that still exists?

Fuck taxes.

What's up with the way overdone effects, why is there so much effect when I use the flatten tool to the point where I do not see what I am doing or where I am going.

I spent a bit of time in game, but I just gave up trying to clear out my base. It's like you are in a steam room with zero visibility. 

NQ really needs to learn how to use effects and not treat them like a toy they need to show off instead of make it functional. And the fluorescent candy-coloured rocks everywhere make the game look very cheap.

25 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

NQ really needs to learn how to use effects and not treat them like a toy they need to show off instead of make it functional. And the fluorescent candy-coloured rocks everywhere make the game look very cheap.

I am 100% convinced that this just a tech demo and nothing else. That fact they are treating this less and less as a game, only reinforces this thought.

9 hours ago, JayleBreak said:

I've had a similar result on Ion but with Coal, Limestone, and Acanthite. Seems like there is an incentive to move to the outer planets which is fine. Just wished they could have given those planets more interesting terrain.

I nano-crafted a couple of small basic units on Sanctuary. I didn't expect much from them and didn't get much, but the surface ores that pop up when you calibrate are a nice kick start. For a new player experience, I would suggest starting players out with at least one charge so they can calibrate when they set the unit up as otherwise the unit won't do anything which will confuse new players to no end.

Ah, thanks thats good to know.  Ion ans Symeon are the 2 places I put space stations over so that I could milk all those T5 ores .......... that I cant find  lol

13 hours ago, Sevian said:

I just love that all the hard work I did traveling to planets, putting resources down, building up buildings: will just now be abandoned because I don't want to pay fucking 4mil/month in taxes in a god damn space game.

I literally just got my bill for the annual property tax for my house, so it just feels extra ironic. Why the hell should I or anyone else continue to play this "game"? Name one fun aspect of the game that still exists?

Fuck taxes.

this.....

i pay actual real money to play this game, so, like google, apple and all the other rich fux, i say no. poke the tax dans le derrier or say bye bye to my revenue Or make the tax selective so only fukn miners get taxed. no diggee holes no pullee ore no fukn tax bill. 

OK, so I was not a miner previously.  Been away for 9 months but I was transporting and trading.  My income was always very low, maybe a million to 3 million in a week.  This update will probably mean that I make more quanta than ever before.  A lot of scanning and running around at the moment but at current or prices the 2 locations I have found will each have the ability to make around 20+ million a week without any adjacency, that's just 2 hex and maybe 3 mining units max on each.  

Which leads me to wonder what will happen to the economy?

Dedicated miners will probably be making less than before but people like me will be making far more and I will be selling ore which I never used to do.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Will they be a flood of ore now?

18 hours ago, Sevian said:

I am 100% convinced that this just a tech demo and nothing else. That fact they are treating this less and less as a game, only reinforces this thought.

I have always believe the purpose for DU was never to be a viable and sustainable game but a showcase for the server tech. Obviously, that plan failed pretty quickly so at that point all NQ had was DU.. and the rest as they say is history.

5 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

I have always believe the purpose for DU was never to be a viable and sustainable game but a showcase for the server tech. Obviously, that plan failed pretty quickly so at that point all NQ had was DU.. and the rest as they say is history.

I actually think it goes the other way around . JC really wanted to make DU and that was probably his only goal.

So for all his faults, he really tried his best and I respect him for that.

But the new leadership is probably more interested in trying to recover losses at this stage.

I just finished turning off auto-renewal for my accounts. The reason? Mining changes.
Most games out there reward players for logging on daily. NQ chose a different path: DU is punishing players for NOT logging in daily.
I already work two jobs, the last thing I need is a third job which I pay for.

There is still game time left until Autumn 2022. I'll log in every now and then, to see what's going on. There's a chance I would change my mind, IF the game steers back to the proper path. As it is right now, it seems to be going the way of the Dodo.

It was fun while it lasted, though, gotta admit that.

I’m loving this patch, especially the way it gives permanent value to tiles, really helps pave the way for territory warfare.

Please add in more features that give similar value and therefore even more to fight over. Maybe have other types of bonuses tiles can provide, similar to the civilisation game series. 

I do think there needs to be some balancing to reduce how frequently we have to calibrate, it will get very tedious otherwise. Also please remove the bonus ore we have to mine, it’s a pointless add on.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, Gottchar said:

Can you please hire a guy with the only job being to point out how something might be shit?  This game has issues, you come up with solutions, those solutions however often are flawed and turn out worse than the issue they try to fix. The dedicated "pointing out how this could be shit"-guy, would help.

I can agree with that, such a guy could really help .

Logged back in to see what was new with the latest update.

Spent 30-60 minutes =  digging out my main base.  half above ground and most in to the side of a hill.

About 60 minutes = reading up / watching videos on what changed and what I need to do.  Used talent points to mostly max out new mining units.  100% of base and 85% of advanced tier.  Decided to fly to market and buy mining units.

5+ hours = I scanned about 20 tiles while mostly afk.  All had 505-544 L/h ore

20 minutes = flew over to my territories on alioth and flagged them as HQ or I would have lost them

flew to district and bought the stuff.  as I was leaving market clicked teleporter to see if anything was new.  Spawned by under the stairs with no way to get out.  unstuck would not do anything.  someone else teleported in as well..  Forced respawn sent me back to my base.

30 minutes = later of hover shuttling back to market after having to force respawn arrived back at market.

60 minutes = flew back to base setup 6 mining units on my base to mine the ores.  carved out new area, made voxel base, cut holes for beam

Started units.  could only calibrate 2. went to bed

Next day hardly any ore...  asked chat.  they said you get zero ore if not calibrated.  Calibrated the rest. 

Total yield per hour 464.  so in an average day 11k of total ore,,,,  

That would have taken me like 30 minutes before.  What a waste of time.  None of it was "fun".  With calibrations per day capping mining units I don't see you being able to mine that much without making lots of alts...  Again, not fun.  No "gold fever" striking it rich with a mega node.  Just boring chores for no yield.  No interest in playing the game at this pace.  I would guess neither will 90% of others

Plus, when people who are unaware of the territory changes log in and find their tiles are gone and the spam email telling them someone was going to steal their stuff, they will rage quit.  The most efficient way to get resources will be to scavenge others stuff...

Really concerned about the path this game is on.  If adjustments are not made extremely fast you are going to lose a huge portion of players.  I'm certainly not going to waste that much time for no materials again.