DEVBLOG: TERRITORY UPKEEP - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

Mining on asteroids to me has a weird mechanic.

1) Asteroids spawns all together in weekend while they should be random and also disregarding the safe zone. Anyway who doesn't want to go out of the safe zone like me will not go, no matter what NQ does to push players there.

2) If someone approaches an asteroid this shouldn't be revealed (what is this? Why should be like this? Do you want to give us as food for the pvp players? It is not enough that they already camps areas between WPs?)

Missions also have their problems. You can't warp so you should spend long time flying in space doing nothing and running the risk to be attacked. Is this the challenge? No this is just another attempt to push people in pvp.

Mining Units... I don't have much to add here, it's already full of players that don't like the actual taxation system and how the Mining Units work.

Be obliged to log in to do such a boring and repetitive actions will push players away, I can't understand why you didn't figure it out by yourself before to change the game in this way. Also what happens to player that may be for a while can't log in? Did you think about this? And don't tell me people have HQ because they are not enough to cover the amount of territories a player may have. I don't have many but still 3 more than what HQ can cover and are essential to produce enough ores.

Sometime I've like the feeling that NQ wants to mess up everything on purpose to have an excuse to wipe everything. From my side O can tell if there will be a wipe one day it will be also the last day I play this game unless I already stopped because of these problems. Now is some time players complain, I wonder why NQ so far didn't say a word. Changing something it may be normal but if you see it doesn't work you should act fast.

For my point of view this is not a good feature that helps build a stronger player base, its just a NQ win to lower the server bill. In less than a 6 weeks NQ manage to RIP orgs tiles that have been inactive for a while. True some players abused the ORG mechanic but to mesure all on the same stick is bad. 

I always try to be open minded during these updates but each update makes less and less sense. I've been playing this game for quite some time now and the way game currently stands I can't even make fuel. None of my territories have uncommon ore all of a sudden. The only way to find uncommon ore would be to get a new territory but I cant do that because it costs too much. The most basic goal you can have in this game is making fuel and I can't do that. I didn't loose enough from territories you yanked to complain about others lost much more than me but I will say that was a really shitty thing to do to your player base.  The mining calibration is the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed and the only thing worse than that is how often you expect us to do it. The amount of ore we get from these auto miners is sad and the fact that multiple ore types aren't minable from one tile to the next at least in my experience so far. I can only find T1 ore on my tiles and even that is a very small amount. Your updates have one or two good things and the rest are horrible things that out shadow the good things. You made asteroid mining so tedious its not worth doing. Ore needs to be plentiful and its not it never was. 1 mil per tile per week is insane, there's no way I can mine enough to pay for that so its not even sustainable. It's like you put the game in a great recession and I don't get that. If you're trying to flush out single/small group players, I'm pretty sure this is going to work because your making it too difficult to do anything. 

It will be interesting to see what NQ wil d o with all this feedback. My guess is very little as their main motivator fo rthese changes is reducing and controlling their operating expenses.

At best they will have a number of meetings on how to not address these issues and then just move on to the next "update".. and with the wipe announcement coming, they wil just push for release as I expect that is where their hopes of being able to survive are focussed on.

I still think that they will need a good chunk of money from investors to keep going as I do not see how subs are going to pay for all of this.

Too often is coming out the wiping argument.

Judging on what NQ is doing to the game maybe is everything in the purpose to tell us they will need to wipe.

I want to say that if a wipe will happen I will stop playing DU.

But  now... I'm relocating with only some normal internet connection (that is usually good for anything else except for DU) so how it is suppose for me to keep my Territories and not lose stuff? Before Demeter this was not going to be a problem now it is... it may happen to any player not having the possibility to play DU for a while so what? Do we lose everything because we can't pay taxes or because the taxes will take all our resources while out of the game?

On 1/2/2022 at 2:02 AM, Aviator1280 said:

Too often is coming out the wiping argument.

Judging on what NQ is doing to the game maybe is everything in the purpose to tell us they will need to wipe.

I want to say that if a wipe will happen I will stop playing DU.

But  now... I'm relocating with only some normal internet connection (that is usually good for anything else except for DU) so how it is suppose for me to keep my Territories and not lose stuff? Before Demeter this was not going to be a problem now it is... it may happen to any player not having the possibility to play DU for a while so what? Do we lose everything because we can't pay taxes or because the taxes will take all our resources while out of the game?

You can pre-pay your taxes with 13,000,000 quanta per territory, so you can protect it for 13 weeks. Likewise, you can put up to 5 of your territories on HQ without having to pay taxes there. Also, each player has the one territory on Sanctuary that is always under protection, since there are generally no taxes there.

1 hour ago, Zarcata said:

You can pre-pay your taxes with 13,000,000 quanta per territory, so you can protect it for 13 weeks. Likewise, you can put up to 5 of your territories on HQ without having to pay taxes there. Also, each player has the one territory on Sanctuary that is always under protection, since there are generally no taxes there.

Not useful suggestion, all these are pretty known. Still if for some time you can't play and make the boring and repetitive tasks you only see your amount of quantas going down. Like this the game is dead

2 hours ago, Aviator1280 said:

Not useful suggestion, all these are pretty known. Still if for some time you can't play and make the boring and repetitive tasks you only see your amount of quantas going down. Like this the game is dead

You can see it however you like. The game is not dead because of that, since almost all games have such mechanics, sometimes more, sometimes less threatening for the player.
I myself can understand it well, the tax also bothers me a lot, because it forces the player into the game and gives game defaults that just weren't there before. In addition, it contradicts the game idea that we players are free in our development here. This tax is simply wrong in the game and the idea behind it, to get rid of old, abandoned constructs with it could have been tied simply by subscription obligation.

• 2 weeks later...

* I see no issues with taxes ( however, for new \ young players they could be smaller );

* I can see people make ore more they used to make from soil ( buy ppl have not used to pay for it );

* renting the territory (pay tax), - who is the owner? Where is the Overlord who let me "use the tile"? - It is nonsense at the moment.

* you need to spend (tax) quanta, but only 1 way of income of quanta: Aphelia missions.

* Boring Aphelia missions, - boring flying 1-2-3-4 hours to deliver the package for small quanta. 

* Boring calibration process.

#

Suggestions:

- make calibration not fall for 4 days, speed up calibration discharge after that, let people to do calibration not that often;

- increase Aphelia missions reward 5 times, add 7 days delay for taking the mission;

( no idea how to decrease boringness of Aphelia missions );

On 11/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, NQ-Deckard said:

Hello Noveans,

We would like to hear your feedback on the new territory upkeep.

One thing I'm noticing is the limit on how many cores a player can have needs to be increased and static and dynamic core counts should be separate. Not being able to compact your pocket ship because you used a static core is incredibly frustrating and pointless.  The direction this game is going in means we are probably going to want to claim surrounding tiles if they sort out the ore distribution. This is going to increase the number of static cores a player is going to need to use. Static core counts going against you're dynamic core counts is too much by a lot. I like to have a ship on each planet I own tile(s) on .  Five headquarters will say 2 tiles per planet that's 10 static cores and 5 dynamic cores. That's at or near the player core cap with skills. No room for anything extra like a space station and a ship. It's very limiting in my opinion. Some sort of increase will likely be necessary. 

Hi NQ,

The 1 million per week and ore amounts seemed like numbers plucked from thin air. Its better you review now than later. Can you please look at 3 things and provide info on if these concepts are doable:

1. Scalable tax based on what's on the tile. Empty/non productive constructs = minimal, miners = more, industry = even more. 

2. Ore values derived from mining units. There seems to be too much ore. Any solution I think of to reduce yields creates a problem where you need to claim more tiles and put down more miners, something noone wants. There needs to be an ore sink to compensate alternatively and leave values?

3. The minigame, and animations noone likes it, its not fun, we all have many units and now hit start and escape. Please review.