DEVBLOG: TERRITORY UPKEEP - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

1 hour ago, Rheuschek said:

HQ Tiles are not tax free, you just don't lose them if you do not pay taxes.  They become inactive.

What does inactive mean? I am trying to understand the consequence of not paying taxes on HQ tiles.

7 minutes ago, Doombad said:

What does inactive mean? I am trying to understand the consequence of not paying taxes on HQ tiles.

All industries cannot be used.
Mining units become inactive.

However, the protected status without taxes only applies as long as you have an active subscription. No subscription means no protection, regardless of whether it is a normal area or an HQ tile.

5 minutes ago, Doombad said:

It means any industry or mining units you have on the tile will stop working, until you pay the taxes again - HQ tiles just won't go abandoned if you don't pay the tax

3 minutes ago, Celestis said:

How, exactly do we assign the HQ status to our 5 chosen territories?

From the blog -> "...., unless that territory is flagged as a headquarters from the territory interface." This is all the info on HQ assignment we have atm.

46 minutes ago, Aranol said:

Tokenize you Org territory
Switch them to personal territory
Declare them as headquarter tile

and that's it, you problem is solved !

Not quite sure how and when we can do this but ok.... maybe I won't quit all my tiles yet.... but I'm not paying anyone any taxes so I will only keep tax-free tiles.

Just now, Celestis said:

Not quite sure how and when we can do this but ok.... maybe I won't quit all my tiles yet.... but I'm not paying anyone any taxes so I will only keep tax-free tiles.

Well in that case you will only have 2 options. 

1) Stay in your Sanctuary tile Tax Free. 

2) Make your tiles HQ,  not pay the tax and do not mine / run industry.   

Demeter is giving the ability to tokenise TU's, just the same as constructs, so you can transfer tiles easily - HQ declaration will be from the 'Territory Management' interface - but we haven't seen or been told where that interface will be yet. (Speculation, this could be the Territory Tax window in the Wallet)

21 minutes ago, Doombad said:

My understanding is that you cannot build, mine, or terraform on the property until taxes are paid, but you keep any HQ territory indefinitely (subject to change as noted in the blog post).

3 minutes ago, LosNopales said:

Well in that case you will only have 2 options. 

1) Stay in your Sanctuary tile Tax Free. 

2) Make your tiles HQ,  not pay the tax and do not mine / run industry.   

That is what I intend to do.

I am not a miner I am a builder.

... and a pilot so I only need T1 ore and fuel.

1 hour ago, Aranol said:

Just read befor posting, all the answer of you question have been explain in NQ-Dekard post.
In your case, you will have 2 weeks to coonect to the game, and set the tile with your asset as "Hearquarters territory"
And you will be hable to keep 5 territory with no taxe for life

Though they cannot be lost (at the moment), HQ territories are still taxable, and a penalty will apply for not paying them.

Since players now have to do several things (taxes, active subscription) to keep their buildings, spaceships, territories, I have a question about this.
Will there be other offers for longer periods besides the 1-3-6-12 month subscription? I'm thinking 3-5 years or some kind of lifetime subscription.

2 hours ago, Aranol said:

Territory income are planed to be set so that an exploited territory generate mote than 1million per week
so for now you can just sell ore generate by you territory to paid taxe and get a few bonus

And when every player in the game suddenly want to sell ore to pay for taxes, then what do you think will happen with ore market prices?

1 hour ago, willolake said:

If you unsubscribe, you should not expect to come back to the game and have anything except the quanta in your pocket. If you do not unsubscribe and just go afk for years, that is what HQ tiles are for. If you own 100 tiles and disappear for any reason, the game should have a forcing function to return most of those assets into the economy; that is what we are getting.

That is all well and fine, except for one minor detail.

DU is a voxel building MMO. And with the TAX there is absolutely no incentive any longer to spend time building, except for on 5 HQ tiles for the entire universe.

14 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

DU is a voxel building MMO. And with the TAX there is absolutely no incentive any longer to spend time building, except for on 5 HQ tiles for the entire universe.

I'd love for you to build voxels on my territory, and I'll pay the taxes. We'd both win. You don't pay taxes, I see pretty buildings that I'd have zero motivation to build myself, because Dual Universe is a sandbox game that has multiple motivations; not just the one you find value in.

2 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

You are saying that it's fine if orgs can amass or at aleast have full access to hundreds of tiles where they only need to pay tax when the situation calls for it, including locking down tiles with specific ores or quantities of ores and only pay the tax if they need to mine these?

IC could run their massive spaceport and never have to pay a cent in tax for the tile(s) they occupy with it and that goes for any large org infrastructure..

I am in an org with a small handful of players who all share public resources in one place where we all work on building ships, together and independently. There's no *need* for industry or mining here, but shared access is a requirement. I see no good reason why one of us should be disallowed from owning it and sharing it with the group. We may end up just moving to space or something for simplicities sake of having the industry operating on hand, but I still think it makes sense to have it as an option.

And if everyone in IC is willing to spare their HQ tiles to IC to build up a cool space port... That kind of building is what the game is about, no? And each individual owning a tile could at some point decide they want to reclaim the tile for themselves, and start trying to reclaim the static constructs which would throw a serious wrench in the Org and there's nothing the Org could do about it other than retrieve their materials and leave a big hole in their structure... 

And if they are just locking down resources that they might need later... Then that's their lost income opportunity, and not super different from people currently claiming and then sitting on mega-nodes, no? They still only have 5 tiles per player to do this with, and that player has final say on who gets to do what there, not the org.

This change requires there to be a high level of trust between the participants for large scale projects like these, and I think that's not just reasonable, but ideal.

Admittedly, single players with large numbers of alt's still have a bit of an edge there, but that's a really difficult problem to solve across the board.

1 minute ago, vylqun said:

so, basically the tax system killed the DU racing league and only a few selected tracks will remain, is it really your wish to reduce the already lacking content of DU even further?

Not arguing your point, but I'm curious how this is? Are you expecting racing league tiles aren't going to be kept up for some reason?

49 minutes ago, willolake said:

I'd love for you to build voxels on my territory, and I'll pay the taxes. We'd both win. You don't pay taxes, I see pretty buildings that I'd have zero motivation to build myself, because Dual Universe is a sandbox game that has multiple motivations; not just the one you find value in.

In principle true, but good luck finding anyone that would spend significant time building on someone else's tile.

Especially when all the tile owner has to do to totally ruin the day for the builder, is to press the "requisition" button.

7 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

Especially when all the tile owner has to do to totally ruin the day for the builder, is to press the "requisition" button.

Thought I had you there ;) "It's a tarp!" - j/k

Not wrong, but there will have to be a level of cooperation and misdeeds to make the universe interesting. Some in-game mechanics to help here are certainly needed; bounties, reputation, etc.