DEVBLOG: MINING UNITS 101 - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

On 11/17/2021 at 4:30 AM, JessIca said:

I think this is the fairest move! I also got a around 4-5k scans but it's not fair to every1 to leave the old scans.

Sure you have scanned once but this was initally for the search of Meganodes and tiles to mine. So i guess it is fair as it is a new system and every1 should have a fair chance to get  good tiles.

Well done!

The same people who whined that scan results were going to be kept, will just whine again when the same folks who did the most scanning before, just beat them again. (Plus they kinda missed the point, that so many tiles won't be tied up anymore cos of taxes.) Changing plans a week before the update tho, with very little comms, was a bad idea. 

[EDIT: Well that moots everything. New scans don't work now anyway.]image.png.e9fddb6d2f9c1a77b6a4336d50282ede.png

Hi. 

I'm looking for an information how the math behind mining unit works.  Right now I feel like a child in the fog.

I have tile with 375 L/h

I put the small mining unit and calibrate it to 62%

then I start it and it says that the tile efficiency is 70% and that the callibration efficiency is 35% so all together I got 13.47 L/h

But 375 * 70% * 35% * 62% != 13.47

... and now I have absolutely no idea how it works.

Mining unit calibration mechanic does not make sense at all.

I've found the spot during calibration that says 100%, only to be bumped down to approx 50% once I confirm my selection. Am I missing something here?

And with the territory taxes as they are right now, I'll be forced to sell off half of my T1 mined goods just to keep using my territory.

There was a post earlier in this thread where someone complained that we're now having infinite resources... lol.

Yeah, infinite, but you have to part with half of that every week to pay taxes, and keep pushing that silly calibration thing every day to keep it going, drag the ore to the market to sell it, drop down ore prices because nobody will want to buy it anymore. Oh yeah, and pay taxes at the market of course, because 1M per week was not enough of a resource sink.

Yeah, an infinity of pain and misery.

Calibrate and haul just so you can keep calibrating and hauling some more until the end of time.

Infinite resources indeed.

"Well, you have a shitty tile", someone will say. Why don't you simply move somewhere better?

- Great idea! I'll just take a week of real life vacation to put my few thousand element multi-core factory in my pocket and scan my brains out to find a decent tile and just drop it there, of course.

All right I think that more or less I got how it works:

Base rate: Probably defined by the rate of the Mining Unit

Efficiency: No idea where it comes from - probably skills

Adjacency: you got +10% for each neighbour tile you have

Callibration: Result of your callibration minigame affected by something - probably skills

Production rate = floor(Base rate * (Efficiency + Adjacency) * Callibration)

image.thumb.png.8f4d37c106c792feddb035632e773e26.png

image.thumb.png.8916b22a684566ab0271419fa65a020a.png

Answer:

After each callibration some amount of resources spawns on the level in form of Big rocks that has about 2K Ore in them (int total) This panel shows location of the spawned rocks on the scanned tile. If you have callibrated more then one scanner, then you will get  more  rock spawns.

6 hours ago, RyanMudric said:

Mining unit calibration mechanic does not make sense at all.

I've found the spot during calibration that says 100%, only to be bumped down to approx 50% once I confirm my selection. Am I missing something here?

And with the territory taxes as they are right now, I'll be forced to sell off half of my T1 mined goods just to keep using my territory.

There was a post earlier in this thread where someone complained that we're now having infinite resources... lol.

Yeah, infinite, but you have to part with half of that every week to pay taxes, and keep pushing that silly calibration thing every day to keep it going, drag the ore to the market to sell it, drop down ore prices because nobody will want to buy it anymore. Oh yeah, and pay taxes at the market of course, because 1M per week was not enough of a resource sink.

Yeah, an infinity of pain and misery.

Calibrate and haul just so you can keep calibrating and hauling some more until the end of time.

Infinite resources indeed.

"Well, you have a shitty tile", someone will say. Why don't you simply move somewhere better?

- Great idea! I'll just take a week of real life vacation to put my few thousand element multi-core factory in my pocket and scan my brains out to find a decent tile and just drop it there, of course.

You are also talking about ore prices as they are right now. With everyone paying taxes and needing to flood the market in a week or two those current prices will bottom out and you can end up actually losing money if it gets close to the old 20h prices. The only reason they got to nearly 100h was due to the missions inflating the prices and now that missions are dead and you still have to pay taxes to flush the quanta out of the system those prices will drop like a rock. So you might want to sell the ore you dont have to sell for a rainy day.

Not to thrilled! I was able to get started with the new mining on Sanctuary but didn't hang around to see the progress being I wanted to get to Alioth to get started with tier 3 ore. That was last night before the maintenance shut down. Here it is one day later and I was finally able to get the calibration done, found the best spot, but its outside of my build area, so I flew half way around the globe to buy a new static core, but because I didn't see what size was needed I bought one of each.  Anyways, this new way to mine sucks! I'm playing out the rest of my subscription then I'm done with it. Good luck and I hope you all the success. 

Who ever got the idea that mining units are efficient with the result after a day while i can do the same in about 20/30 minutes stone grabbing. The previous mining had a gigantic load of ore per Hour with respect to the mining units.

That combined with the tax per hex i get the suspicion there are ulteriour motives behind this whole new development, there is no way this is something thought up for the benefit of All players. Only the previous exploiders and mass organizations will benefit, all others will feel the pain. Why is it so hard to live up to kickstarter promisses?  The way you break promisses weekly with such easy you need to sit in the naughty corner almost permanent!

Bonjour,

un peu decus au départ par l'arrivée des machines, (j'aimais mes matinée, en sirotant mon café, tranquille a creuser les gisements, comme je sommet le faire en péchant, en minant, en récoltant dans d'autres jeux) mais bon je suppose que gérer toutes les variables des tunnels dispersés dans la galaxie doit être astronomique. 

Juste une petite demande au Devs. facile un codeur. En dessous des résultats des scans.  un Total des L/h  pour la tuile. la valeur est indiquée au moment de la sortie du scan mais n'apparait pas sur la carte. 

merci

On 11/24/2021 at 1:53 PM, TildaW4 said:

A basic mining unit S has a lower BASE RATE *and* a lower EFFICIENCY than a basic mining unit L.

With my skills it was

S = 50L 79%

L = 120L 99%

Best to upgrade out of the S miners as quickly as possible.

Best to not invest any time or quanta in Any mining unit and just start grabing rocks. The only reason these automatons are there is to show how lazy people really are. 50L thats 2.5 stones, 30 seconds work. 120 L is 6 stones, still under a minute work. If my rl boss payed me for mining with autominers then i probably picked up a few rocks and told him i did 24Hr of autominer work and just fiddle the rest of the day, hell yeah, i would pick up for an hour and fiddle the rest of the month!

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

This is just ...

Already bored with you...

On a serious note, something isn't applying in VR sessions when calibrating and starting an MU. Don't know what though. I got about 67% better results when I was there in person. Might be some of the skills, might me the bonuses from the already placed MU with max handling skills.

18 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Already bored with you...

On a serious note, something isn't applying in VR sessions when calibrating and starting an MU. Don't know what though. I got about 67% better results when I was there in person. Might be some of the skills, might me the bonuses from the already placed MU with max handling skills.

Majority of talents don't carry over in VR.

• 5 weeks later...

I keep trying to find information by looking in the Codex (F1)

Why doesn't the Codex contain all the information we need to know about the new mining units?

How long does it take to go from 100% calibration to 0%?

Do the big rocks generated on calibration stay on your tile until someone surface-harvests them?

Do the small mining units work on other planets? or are they only for use on Sanctuary?

Do the Large mining units work on Sanctuary?

Is it possible to use mining units for the T2 ores on Sanctuary?

Why is the Cone probe so inaccurate?

Please could the codex contain information about how to read the various screens on the mining units?

What does 12/113 l/hr actually mean?

Why is there no adjacency bonus for tiles on Sanctuary if our neighbouring tiles are our friends (Friendly Territory) ?

Is there an adjacency bonus if our neighbours on other planets are "Friendly Territories"?

What does the "Base Rate" refer to?

What does the "Efficiency" refer to?

Is it possible to see how many calibration charges we have generated without activating a mining unit? If so, how?

Please put all the information into the Codex so that it is easy to look it up whilst playing the game without having to google or scroll through pages of forums to find out what we wish to know.

Yes the codex is joke and I'd have hoped that after the lift of the nda we would have gotten a real wiki but that front is kind of sad too. Best options are ingame chat and discord.

-166h IIRC (hover mouse over i in MU menu)

-So far no rock has dissapeared around my base

-Both small and large work everywhere

-IDK honestly I get along using only the circle tool, you can reveal close to half the map with some technique and luck using only large circles... ain't nobody got time to fiddle around

-yes please seconded

-you're pumping 101 out of 113 ore, there is still 12 left that could be sapped

-i'd assume it's to balance alts but also there would be no reason not to be friends with your neighbour and that way basically everbody would have max bonus making it less of bonus 

-see above

-i think base rate refers to the x out of y ore amount, adjacancy boni are added after

-good question, i think its how many percent you can do in one calibration and/or how many ground rocks you spawn

-not that I know, I would enjoy that option

Sorry for double post but one thing I miss dearly / didn't understand of there is a way. I'll take simplified numbers for my example:

Say you have a vein of 150l/h and your MU pump 100l/h... Well then first machine you set up will take all the 100l/h and the second one only takes what is left so 50l/h.

We should be able to set our schedules ourselves and cap them at 75l/h if we prefer.

• 1 month later...

It should now at least be possible to skip most of the mini-game animations, so there are improvements being made. Most important one being that NQ actually listened to some of the feedback.

But there is still the issue of NQ's inability to design game features in a way that engage players long-term. For example how did they managed to conclude in the first place that the original mini-game design with animations and all, would be something players would enjoy doing over, and over and over again. Same with the mechanics for gathering surface ore for that matter..

• 6 months later...