Anyone down for a good old fashioned protest on Demeter?

Warlander

In real life this is called Direct Action

These actions you propose are how ever most likely bannable even if they are done in a name of free speech.

What could be done is to create a long in-game event as a protest rally. Not by violating EULA but creating lots of publicity. Inviting as much streamers and YouTube content creators as possible.

This would need careful planning and some knowledge about civil rights protest organizing.

14 minutes ago, kulkija said:

These actions you propose are how ever most likely bannable even if they are done in a name of free speech.

Not sure being banning from the game is an effective deterrent at the moment..

And the threat of banning only works if there is a very small number of players, since banning a large number of players would affect NQ financially.

15 minutes ago, kulkija said:

What could be done is to create a long in-game event as a protest rally. Not by violating EULA but creating lots of publicity. Inviting as much streamers any YouTube content creators as possible.

This would need careful planning and some knowledge about civil rights protest organizing.

Well its either direct actions now or they develop people out of the game over time. Bans are the least of our worries.

What are they going to do ban their whole playerbase?

8 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Why is creating stuff nearby each other against the eula? Civ building anyone? Cities ? is this forbidden too ?

Good question.

Free speech should be part of the so-called Civilization here in DU.

While free speech is a strong civil right in real life it may not be in a video-game.

Just now, kulkija said:

I hate to be that person, but this is definitely against the terms of use. 

Virtually every TOU related to software has a section about not purposefully degrading the performance of the software, which this is intended to do:

Sending or facilitating the transmission of any content that contains viruses, corrupted data, Trojan horses, keyloggers, worms, spyware, time bombs, cancelbots or any other programs or techniques designed to damage, interfere with in a harmful manner, intercept, extract, gain unauthorized access to, or stealthily expropriate any system or data;

In this context, this is a technique designed to damage/interfere with system or data. 

It's about the intent -- if the intent is to have a big 'ole mining party to get dirty with each other....that's different. Similar outcome, but different implication with terms. 

6 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

I hate to be that person, but this is definitely against the terms of use. 

Virtually every TOU related to software has a section about not purposefully degrading the performance of the software, which this is intended to do:

In this context, this is a technique designed to damage/interfere with system or data. 

It's about the intent -- if the intent is to have a big 'ole mining party to get dirty with each other....that's different. Similar outcome, but different implication with terms. 

They havent banned the thousands of ships around markets yet that have nonstop scripts running and bogging the server down.

I believe when I made a suggestion a while back they said they dont have the time, money, or manpower to actually police markets.

Besides im not trying to bog down the system, Im simply trying to encourage myself and others to sell our voxel reactors like all the massive amounts of containers and ships for sale.

3 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Besides im not trying to bog down the system, Im simply trying to encourage myself and others to sell our voxel reactors like all the massive amounts of containers and ships for sale.

I get you, not trying to be the EULA-police....but if you do actually impact performance, they will possibly ban you.

I think a ban is unlikely, but somehow I doubt you'd care all that much lol. 

IMO, the best form of protest is to simply cancel your sub. I'll give Demeter an honest chance once it lands, but won't be holding my breath. 

I think this should be done.

So that there will be no excuse for banning.

So that it will generate enough YouTube and twitch publicity.

It may even generate some new content for many players who will participate.

Question is Who is up to the task for organizing the protest?

6 hours ago, blundertwink said:

I get you, not trying to be the EULA-police....but if you do actually impact performance, they will possibly ban you.

I think a ban is unlikely, but somehow I doubt you'd care all that much lol. 

IMO, the best form of protest is to simply cancel your sub. I'll give Demeter an honest chance once it lands, but won't be holding my breath. 

In game protests will be tough since not everyone here has an active sub. :) (aka me)

The only protest that will be impactful is the one that can be felt which is un subbing. Since the shortest sub is 3 months and it tempting to resub so move stuff, these "new" subs will be used to affirm and vouch for demeter and show how well it's doing for not 1 month but 3.

Everyone unsub. If noone plays, the message will be sent and those inevitable decisions will finally be unavoidable. 

I get the frustration and anger at some of the things NQ is bringing in with Demeter , I really do and share a lot of it although none of it came as a surprise to me as it just reinforces what a good many here have predicted, raised, warned about for many years now. And yes, it seems NQ simply refuses to listen and consider there may be merit in these voices.

That said however, there is much to say in favour of the changes, the biggest issue (as I see it) is the way NQ is once again going about shoving their idea down everyone's throats while ignoring the many reasonable arguments calling for refinement and change _before_ the changes are put into the game with an attitude of "you just do not understand". This is in many ways a replay of 0.23 and if NQ follow through as they seem to be doing, the results will be very much the same.

From that though, I really do not see the point in frustrating the game or creating chaos which wil only hinder the few other players left in the game. You could go digging tunnels all day sure, but what does that accomplish really? NQ is in trouble; they are up against the wall and really have no choice at this point I fear. Frustrating that will only make it worse.

I get that many of us are really not very happy with the glaring disconnect between NQ and the community which has become even more clear after the last VLOG and the post the new NQ CEO made (for me at least). Point is that you can be vocal about it and you can use that to try and get the attention of NQ but if that does not yield results, sabotaging the game will not do anything but (again) make it worse.

As much as it may not be what you want to do, if all else fails, the only thing you can really do is walk away and leave DU behind you. Many have already done so and many more will do so if NQ does not come around, I'm sure. But it is all you have. 

The proposed actions here really borders on getting your account banned/blocked so ask yourself what's better, walk away with a chance to come back if NQ even manages to turn this around or burn that bridge and blow stuff up.

19 hours ago, Warlander said:

They havent banned the thousands of ships around markets yet that have nonstop scripts running and bogging the server down.

It is all about intent. Those scripts aren't design on purpose to hurt the servers, and lag is only a side effect of bad design at NQ's side.

When your five-head plan is to dig a bunch of holes as a result of the devs showing you they can fill all the holes instantly...

Taxes aside, I have no problem with the update so long as they excavate all the cores I put in tickets for. 

Things did seem to run smoother on the PTS.

I would like to ask for a pre-emptive ban for the ringleader @Warlander  I have no interest in these shenanigans affecting my and other people's gameplay in any way. You want to attack NQ in these forums, go ahead, leave the other players out of it! @NQ if the OP wants to play out a RL scenario ingame, please provide the tools in game we also recourse to in RL. Shove people out of the way (launch into orbit) or if they don't get the hint, knee them in the nuts (send to respawn)...

10 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

I would like to ask for a pre-emptive ban for the ringleader @Warlander  I have no interest in these shenanigans affecting my and other people's gameplay in any way. You want to attack NQ in these forums, go ahead, leave the other players out of it! @NQ if the OP wants to play out a RL scenario ingame, please provide the tools in game we also recourse to in RL. Shove people out of the way (launch into orbit) or if they don't get the hint, knee them in the nuts (send to respawn)...

Lol what shananigans? Like 3 people were even mildly  interested and nobody is actually doing anything so ok...

Attacking NQ? I detracted the semi jab at them Pann asked for with sarcasm so ok...

Questioning their decisions and pointing things out isnt a crime here or in RL either so ok...

What have I actually done? If speaking the truth is wrong in the court of social justice then cool deal with ti.

7 minutes ago, Warlander said:

What have I actually done?

Been a loud annoyance...

There's a ton of stuff that isn't crime in RL, but will certainly give you a bloody nose and/or a knee in the nuts.

As I said, you can scream all you want in the forums, most of us can ignore you there. But you're calling folks to start bothering other players ingame, with methods that aren't allowed anymore (if you have to ask, I have to wonder if you're even playing the game). I don't care if only three other daft people showed up for your proposed shenanigans, you're actively trying to ruin other people's playing experiences (by methods that aren't allowed in the first place). DU is buggy enough without a couple of kids throwing around stuff at markets that will make other people crash.

If you don't like NQ, hate what DU is, then you won't mind not playing DU for a while (or forever). If you want we could even start a poll to see if others agree or not... ?

Its not personal its just gaming. 

You dont have to like a single thing I say, I play the game the same as anyone here and yeah I have an opinion on that and not talking about the bad decisions being made behind the curtain isnt helping things either. Don't think ive start a poll yet here since its all just back slapping popularity contests imo unless NQ hosts them.

Besides do you think I would be here in the forums at all if NQ made a game that was fun and enguaging? 

On 11/13/2021 at 2:54 AM, Warlander said:

I believe when I made a suggestion a while back they said they dont have the time, money, or manpower to actually police markets.

And you understand that you are preventing other players from playing, who are satisfied with everything with these actions. On the forum, I see 10-15 outraged people. But I really think such actions will not immediately lead to the blocking of your account, as it will interfere with me and other players in the game. You will not only harm NQ - and yourself as well, because you will not achieve good with this.

7 hours ago, Cergorach said:

I would like to ask for a pre-emptive ban for the ringleader @Warlander I have no interest in these shenanigans affecting my and other people's gameplay in any way. You want to attack NQ in these forums, go ahead, leave the other players out of it! @NQ if the OP wants to play out a RL scenario ingame, please provide the tools in game we also recourse to in RL. Shove people out of the way (launch into orbit) or if they don't get the hint, knee them in the nuts (send to respawn)...

+1...

I do not want to get problems with the performance or other maintenance(time) or other time for late patch or else.. cose NQ need waste time for fixed things if some one do stuped idea. Cose THIRD side some thing dont like.

"If you don't like it, just leave. "