PREPPING FOR THE GEO RESET - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

5 hours ago, Zarcata said:

Is there any way to protect your terraforming landscape? I spent weeks getting earth from many planets and then building it up decoratively in my mine. Tunnels, lakes, underwater caves - all gone?

949204053_Screenshot(3937).png

244635613_Screenshot(3935).png

127109583_Screenshot(3934).png

This sounds really neat. Take screen shots and share them. I am sure there is no good solution to what you have made.

10 hours ago, Zarcata said:

Is there any way to protect your terraforming landscape? I spent weeks getting earth from many planets and then building it up decoratively in my mine. Tunnels, lakes, underwater caves - all gone?

That looks neat.. unfortunately it'll all be gone once Demeter drops, yes..

21 hours ago, Saedow said:

A few points of attention please NQ...

• A lot of old players like myself have paid 10 to 100 of millions of tax quanta while claiming territory. I think we should be reimbursed for the number of tiles we have in our possession.
  • Don't just reset mining skills, reset ALL skills points (See Jeronimo's post with legit reasons a few above this post).
  • Don't give us the excavation tool for a few weeks... the tool might be used for other purposes...

Totally Agree

So, the number of TUs for sale is increasing quickly!

Looks like I'm not the only one who has vacated most of my tiles in preparation for Demeter's taxes.

HQ tiles are too late to catch me on most of my outer planets... I guess we'll see how much the taxes are on my remaining tiles... the announcement of Demeter's taxes has certainly put a huge dampener on enjoyment in the game.

The outer planets were already very sparsely populated.....

19 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

The compensation would be fair because this time it is a drastic game altering change forced by NQ, while players having released tiles themself is voluntary.

It would be fair if NQ looked back at their logs and reimbursed people for the tiles they had at the time Demeter's taxes were announced.

5 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

But the outer planets are also sparsely populated, since they are supposed to have no more protection zones "at some point".

Flying to and from my HQ bases on the outer planets through unsafe space is half the fun.

I don't often have much of value on board, just materials the artist needs to do some home improvements or decoration... I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Losing a couple of ships and the elements I was transporting around didn't stop me, that just added to the challenge, it's the threat of taxes on all my single tiles on all of the planets and moons that has completely changed the way I'll play until the taxes finally defeat me.

18 hours ago, Shredder said:

Does anyone know what will happen to dynamic constructs that are in underground bases when the patch hits? Will they be destroyed? Will they pop to the surface? Or will they have to be dug out (but remain in damaged)?

My corp has like 30 of them in our large base but I don’t have access to fly all of them, and drag moving from deep underground will take an absolute age.

I'm pretty sure they will be buried. If they appear in your constructs menu then you can "fetch" them. Otherwise, if they are on your base, you could have the static cores they are in excavated by NQ by submitting a ticket.

18 hours ago, Shredder said:

Does anyone know what will happen to dynamic constructs that are in underground bases when the patch hits? Will they be destroyed? Will they pop to the surface? Or will they have to be dug out (but remain in damaged)?

My corp has like 30 of them in our large base but I don’t have access to fly all of them, and drag moving from deep underground will take an absolute age.

Dynamic constructs are static until you either activate a control unit on it, or use the maneuver tool on it. Elements are immune to damage when using the maneuver tool. If you try to fly it while it's partly underground, the behavior isn't set in stone and depends on how deep the construct is in the ground. So you can dig them out without worrying about element damage.

ok, so I've been prepping for the Geo reset and it has taken far too much of my time and hasn't been enjoyable.

Also, in the process I have had to redesign my workshop, which, since the schematics were introduced has grown as I've needed to add more different industry units so that in itself is a pain.

However, I have so many schematics now and finding which one goes in which industry unit is a very painful process.

I don't know whether NQ has given thought to the amount of enjoyment we are getting out of this game but I'm realising that I am more and more being dictated to by the game and I don't enjoy that in my spare time.

Every major update seems to reduce the fun of the game and makes it more like hard work.

The vexing thing to me is that NQ is struggling to design and balance the easy stuff. We're over 7 years into alpha and they're still making huge changes to how mining should work...

If you think this is chaotic, wait until they try to balance PvP, assuming they ever implement the rest of it. 

If they struggle to bring engagement and balance to something as basic as industry and mining, anyone that's been "looking forward" to full PvP is going to be deeply disappointed. 

Even if the game thrives after Demeter, what will DU become?

More experienced devs have invested a lot more energy and thought into bringing balance to PvP....even when PvP is well conceived and fully implemented, many fail to properly balance it!

PvP is really the hardest thing for a designer to tackle because even a tiny loophole or inconsistency can ruin the experience for many players, who expect a level of fairness because no one enjoys losing, especially when the stakes are high. Hell, even in games where players respawn in seconds with little real penalty....people still don't react well to losing if they feel their loss was unfair. 

From their vlogs, it's like they have no concept of urgency and they think all this is a normal part of dev that we gamers just can't understand. 

28 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

The vexing thing to me is that NQ is struggling to design and balance the easy stuff. We're over 7 years into alpha and they're still making huge changes to how mining should work...

If you think this is chaotic, wait until they try to balance PvP, assuming they ever implement the rest of it. 

If they struggle to bring engagement and balance to something as basic as industry and mining, anyone that's been "looking forward" to full PvP is going to be deeply disappointed. 

Even if the game thrives after Demeter, what will DU become?

More experienced devs have invested a lot more energy and thought into bringing balance to PvP....even when PvP is well conceived and fully implemented, many fail to properly balance it!

PvP is really the hardest thing for a designer to tackle because even a tiny loophole or inconsistency can ruin the experience for many players, who expect a level of fairness because no one enjoys losing, especially when the stakes are high. Hell, even in games where players respawn in seconds with little real penalty....people still don't react well to losing if they feel their loss was unfair. 

From their vlogs, it's like they have no concept of urgency and they think all this is a normal part of dev that we gamers just can't understand. 

DualUniverse currently only has PvP of ships. There are no classes (mage, tank, healer, supporter) there are no special bonuses through different races (undead, pandaren, tauren, humans, etc) as well as no countless sub-skillings of the classes (archmage, darkmage, arcanemage,...).
There are actually only shields and the handful of weapons, of which only the laser has been used so far. Voxel strength, voxel material, - unimportant because cross-section, hit chance = one built meta-elemental ships with shields.

When I think of other games where you also have to deal with ships, tanks, mounts and the player characters as described above, and then add wind directions, ocean currents, etc. - why doesn't it work in DualUniverse? and have to balance....

Lately I had a lot of connection issues and this highlighted something. Most of the time I didn't have problems if I was underground at about 300m or more neither on Alioth but when approaching the surface a disaster. This means that the performances are affected a lot with what is on the surface of a planet and not really with what is under it. Terraforming, complex constructs lot of elements these will still be present in Demeter so I don't expect miracles on performances while instead it is true you get benefits from this reducing the amount of data the server needs to manage.

Said so I've some big concern on how Demeter will work. Asteroids will be very populated but you don't give the same opportunities to everyone to mine them making them spawn at a fixed time during weekend. They must be spawn randomly.

Also if someone approaches an asteroid this can't be revealed immediately because in not longer than 20 minutes someone can reach it and who doesn't want pvp now is obliged to find themselves in a situation where can't even warp away if his ship has been hit which is ridiculous. Why are you forcing this? To make those playing pvp happy so they have a target?

The update is welcome but how it works not at all. Resources from the mining units are very limited. 

Another thing is that you said you added taxes to avoid players getting too many territories. Well this is going to happen anyway since you said mining the territory will repay the taxes so if you really want to avoid what you said you need to make taxes progressive at the point that a territory can't repay for them and players have to choose wisely which territory to get.

Hopefully I'm on the right thread.... commenting on the upcoming Demeter illustrated by the first Demeter weekend on the PTS..... where the game seems to be going and where I thought it was going to go when I joined.

I had single territories on all of the planets and moons, I built homes there and I just visited them from time to time and only mined for what I needed locally, mostly T1 ores so most of the rest was left unmined.

I did lose a couple of ships to pirates so that was fun and made the flights more of a challenge.

I expected that one day someone would come and fight my bases to takeover my tiles, complete with ores still present.

However, all of the outer planets and moons remained so sparsely populated that there was no competition for the higher tier ores on them.

Also, asteroids were introduced so there was no need for people to colonise and mine the outer planets.

Well, the day I lost most of my outer planets was the result of a pve battle, namely Aphelia threatened to charge me exorbitant taxes just for owning my tiles so I packed up and left.

Aphelia can have my tiles, it's no fun losing to the game so the game has probably lost me

On 11/15/2021 at 5:44 AM, Celestis said:

Flying to and from my HQ bases on the outer planets through unsafe space is half the fun.

I don't often have much of value on board, just materials the artist needs to do some home improvements or decoration... I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Losing a couple of ships and the elements I was transporting around didn't stop me, that just added to the challenge, it's the threat of taxes on all my single tiles on all of the planets and moons that has completely changed the way I'll play until the taxes finally defeat me.

I personally avoid flying in PvP space like the plague. My game time isn't such that I can commit 3-4 hours of sitting at my computer watching for trouble, so I pretty much only warp from planet to planet. I'm infamous in my org for constantly having an avatar somewhere just standing there, because I have stood up from my computer to go do something at home I need to do, and I can't do that in PvP space.

That said, the thing that you were responding to here I think you misunderstood: the intention from the beginning is that eventually non-safe-zone planets will not be safe, at all. Atmospheric combat and territory warfare and destruction has been "in the works" from the beginning. So people are hesitant to set up large operations on the outer worlds because some day NQ is intending to flip a switch that says "Everything not in the safe triangle can be destroyed, at any time" and at that point all of our outer world bases will get leveled by pirates unless we can defend them... A day I am not looking forward to, and has limited my drive to build anything of value outside the core. My crew has a few outposts where we make fuel for outer-world operations, but that's pretty much it.

(Edited to add) I see now from a later post of yours that I think you understand that coming mechanic, but I'm leaving this here in case anyone else doesn't know that is coming.

Edited by Koruzarius
Noticed the person I was responding to probably understood what I had said, adding comment to that effect.

I think I have adjusted my buildings to make it possible for me to remove the earth from them after the Geo reset but if I have problems when I try, will it be too late to ask NQ to help?

If it will be too late then I guess I should submit tickets quickly and hope that the tool NQ will use won't damage the surface of the planet whilst digging out underneath.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:45 AM, Koruzarius said:

That said, the thing that you were responding to here I think you misunderstood: the intention from the beginning is that eventually non-safe-zone planets will not be safe, at all. Atmospheric combat and territory warfare and destruction has been "in the works" from the beginning. So people are hesitant to set up large operations on the outer worlds because some day NQ is intending to flip a switch that says "Everything not in the safe triangle can be destroyed, at any time" and at that point all of our outer world bases will get leveled by pirates unless we can defend them... A day I am not looking forward to, and has limited my drive to build anything of value outside the core.

On the contrary, I was counting on it!

My complaint is that because of the taxes I will not be able to afford to keep territories in unsafe space waiting for the combat and territory warfare.

Losing outer space territories to pirates and other players would have been infinitely preferable to losing the territories because of the exorbitant taxes.

Unfortunately most of the pirates seem to have left when the schematics were introduced... at least, I have not had my ships attacked since then, even though I've been flying from planet to planet fairly regularly.

Too late now I've removed my flight points, my homes on the outer planets because I cannot afford to pay the taxes.

(It took me a over week to fly around to remove the bases so I had to start as soon as the taxes were threatened.)

13 hours ago, Aviator1280 said:

Sea level is at 0m and this will not change, planets are going to be the same not bigger not smaller.

While the planets will not increase or decrease in size (as far as we know), but what we have access to does change, significantly. They've added an immutable core at the center of each planet that is pretty huge. So all those hollow world projects go right out the door! ?

8 hours ago, Cergorach said:

While the planets will not increase or decrease in size (as far as we know), but what we have access to does change, significantly. They've added an immutable core at the center of each planet that is pretty huge. So all those hollow world projects go right out the door! ?

You do have until Tuesday's maintenance....