geforce now.....so neither devs gonna do anything?

Maliciouss1

my former theory was made obsolete by @Deckard's post :

Is there any contractual discussion going on between NQ and NVIDIA for GFN usage?

I am using the free version of GFN (1 hour limit) which is not working atm. Would I be a paying GFN customer then this outtage would be another reason to say "streaming games is not the way to go for me" at all, given the very long outtage and non-compensation.

@realMod

The issue here though is that this is NQ's problem, not Nvidia's.. NQ can try and spin this as "a driver issue" all they want, seeing how this affects .. well.. pretty much only DU from the looks of it, it certainly is on NQ to fix. ANd as I can coonfirm that the game runs just fine on either a 3080 or a 3090 equiped PV with latest drivers installed, that woudl be a rather strong indication that the  issue here is not driver related at all..  As I mentioned, my guess here is that IF it is actually a technical issue and not something else entirely, it is caused by DU not playing nice in a VM environment, just like NQ broke DU running on Shadoe PC with the first patch of this year.

Playing games from a streaming platform is perfectly viable, I have absolutely no issues running any of my games through Steam on ShadowPC. The only game having problems is DU .. 

I know for a fact (as I was told by Shadow staff)  that NQ would have had access to not only free resources regarding Shadow PC but also woudl have been given access with priority and with the support of the Shadow team had they asked for it, something they never did. Coupled with the given Shadow is a French company and owned by the same company they use for at least some of their hosting (possibly their PTS servers) .. well... you get where this is going..

On 11/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, Jake Arver said:

@realMod

ANd as I can coonfirm that the game runs just fine on either a 3080 or a 3090 equiped PV with latest drivers installed, that woudl be a rather strong indication that the  issue here is not driver related at all..  As I mentioned, my guess here is that IF it is actually a technical issue and not something else entirely, it is caused by DU not playing nice in a VM environment, just like NQ broke DU running on Shadoe PC with the first patch of this year.

According to

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-now-rtx-3080-tested

and other sources GFN 3080 is using a Nvidia A10G GPU, not a real GeForce 3080 card.

So indeed it could be a driver issue.

If the same driver is used across all hardware for GFN then sure, but do not get access to this hardware unless you pay the top tier, so in that respect, nothing has changes for the free and $9.99 tiers and DU shoudl run fine there.

If I were GFN, I would probably kick DU out if they can't fix their shit and get it working promptly. Broken games make their service look unreliable and make people question the efficacy of streaming games in general. 

It especially sucks for customers that rely on GFN to play the (paid subscription) game -- NQ can't both offer it as an option then move slowly when these customers are affected by downtime.

Even if the issue is on GFN's side....NQ should be careful about offering options to play that lead to weeks of downtime for players that rely on them. This would be a big issue at-scale....although tbh it doesn't seem like DU will ever see itself at-scale. 

Hi everyone,

The Novaquark team is regularly in contact with the Nvidia team to fix this issue.
The Nvidia team is currently investigating on their side what could be the source of the problem, while we are doing the same on our side (we are also investigating if it might be caused by some EQU8 changes). So far we didn't find any cause on the Novaquark side and as long as we don't have any more news from Nvidia's side either, we can't give any ETA about when this technical issue will be fixed. Our dev team has also deployed a dedicated server at the disposal of the Nvidia team to make their investigation and their technical tests easier without impacting the live server.

Assuming that this issue happening only with Dual Universe is proof enough that the issue is on Novaquark side is a very simplistic reasoning from people who have no insight on how the game works internally. Dual Universe uses a lot of unusual tech that many games don't usually use. So it's also very possible that this is something wrong on the Nvidia side that hasn't been uncovered before. The simple fact that they (the Nvidia team) are continuing to investigate is evidence that what is causing the issue isn't something obvious. If it was a clear case where the issue is on the game side and not on the GFN side, they would have stopped investigating the matter.

We will keep you informed as soon as we will have news either from our own dev team or from the Nvidia team.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

1 hour ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Assuming that this issue happening only with Dual Universe is proof enough that the issue is on Novaquark side is a very simplistic reasoning from people who have no insight on how the game works internally.

Not wrong, but said in the least diplomatic way imaginable.

To customers that are having issues simply playing the game...to customers that obviously don't have an understanding about the internals of the game because no one outside of NQ has that knowledge. 

The simple fact that they (the Nvidia team) are continuing to investigate is evidence that what is causing the issue isn't something obvious.

No one is trying to say the issue is "obvious" or easy to fix. I doubt most people even care whose "fault" it is.

People just want to know because they can't play the product they are paying for. At the end of the day, that's your responsibility no matter what 3rd party services you have decided to support as a company. 

How about: "Sorry that the game is still unplayable for those of you that rely on GFN. We know it's frustrating to be unable to play DU with your paid subscription and we're working hard to find the problem. Nvidia is still looking into the issue and we will post updates as soon as more information is available." 

I'm no PR expert, but I feel apologies work better than being defensive and telling people they are being simplistic and lack insight on how DU works...I get that it probably wasn't your intention, but that's how it comes off. 

2 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone,

The Novaquark team is regularly in contact with the Nvidia team to fix this issue.
The Nvidia team is currently investigating on their side what could be the source of the problem, while we are doing the same on our side (we are also investigating if it might be caused by some EQU8 changes). So far we didn't find any cause on the Novaquark side and as long as we don't have any more news from Nvidia's side either, we can't give any ETA about when this technical issue will be fixed. Our dev team has also deployed a dedicated server at the disposal of the Nvidia team to make their investigation and their technical tests easier without impacting the live server.

Assuming that this issue happening only with Dual Universe is proof enough that the issue is on Novaquark side is a very simplistic reasoning from people who have no insight on how the game works internally. Dual Universe uses a lot of unusual tech that many games don't usually use. So it's also very possible that this is something wrong on the Nvidia side that hasn't been uncovered before. The simple fact that they (the Nvidia team) are continuing to investigate is evidence that what is causing the issue isn't something obvious. If it was a clear case where the issue is on the game side and not on the GFN side, they would have stopped investigating the matter.

We will keep you informed as soon as we will have news either from our own dev team or from the Nvidia team.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

Thanks for the update. 

14 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Assuming that this issue happening only with Dual Universe is proof enough that the issue is on Novaquark side is a very simplistic reasoning from people who have no insight on how the game works internally. Dual Universe uses a lot of unusual tech that many games don't usually use. So it's also very possible that this is something wrong on the Nvidia side that hasn't been uncovered before.

Very true, but it is suspect when you consider that DU has a history of GPU related client problems and crashes, and at the moment neither runs on Shadow play or GeForce Now.

14 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone,

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

Will there be compensation for the downtime? It's not just a few hours, but many days and there doesn't seem to be a quick solution. Other players have this time for mining, mission runs and much more. How do you accommodate players who played there?

12 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

At least we have Shadowplay which we can use as an alternative while we get it sorted out.  Imagine if GFN were the only option for running a cloud client and it were down for weeks ...

How is Shadowplay an alternative to a cloudgaming service like GeforceNow? Unless you mean Shadow (https://shadow.tech), which is an alternative, if there wasn't a waiting list for it (register now, get it the 31st of December). It's also quite expensive at €30/month compared to GeforceNow.

@NQ-Nyzaltar

Thank you for the update.

I have had my fair share of crash experiences in the past with the combination of DU and GFN:

As already stated above the player does not really care who's "fault" it is. The expectation of 2 paid for services is that the combination of both will work.

It is not in the players hands to repair anything. We can provide feedback during beta, for sure.

Please keep the info / updates coming in about the GFN / DU progress. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Cergorach said:

How is Shadowplay an alternative to a cloudgaming service like GeforceNow? Unless you mean Shadow (https://shadow.tech), which is an alternative, if there wasn't a waiting list for it (register now, get it the 31st of December). It's also quite expensive at €30/month compared to GeforceNow.

Yeah, that's the one.  My point, which I think you missed, is that people were using that and it worked.  Then one day it broke and nobody prioritised fixing it.  Shortly after the GFN version was launched and Shadow people were pointed at that instead.  Months later and nobody has put any effort into fixing it, making 'dog ate my homework' types of excuses like "we can't get a dev system".  Had someone put the time into getting that working GFN breaking wouldn't be such a bad thing because the shadow users can go back to that.

Point taken about the waiting list though, I didn't know about that.

My concern is this:

Demeter is coming, and all underground caves will be filled up. Over the last full year, I spent hours, days, weeks, months to create thishuge underground cave, as that is whee I want to build L-Core ships and run all my factories. I just finished a mega node on anotther planet and came back to my future underground base, with the intention to place a number of L-Core static constructs in it so NQ can excavate (restore) my cave after Demeter. But just after my arrival, the Nvidia-NQ problem happened, and now I am very afraid to lose my work of one full year if there is not enough time to create all these underground constructs, or if Demeter happens before we can login again.

And I also claimed and paid a number of territories witth mega nodes, I need to harvest them before Demetter reshuffles all ore

These are my main concerns.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

Hi everyone,

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

What funny is when NQ released an update that make shadow not able to run the game and not about 6-8 months later something happens again with GFN seems like NQ don't have a clue what is going on and should focus on fixing the issues they have before release some new big update. Maybe if they would put as but effort into troubleshooting a fix for shadow and GFN people would be leaving the game and going to other games where the Devs listens to the players and want to help fix issues. NQ is all about NQ not the players that is clear now. I don't see DU lasting that love if they keep this up...

If NQ would say that they was putting Demeter on hold until they can see why Shadow and or GFN isn't working that would go along way showing that they really care about us as players...

Hello everyone,

Just to update you all, the two issues causing the crashes have been resolved.

One on Nvidia's side, and one related to shaders on our side.

The new client should trickle down through Nvidia's servers in the next few hours, at which point Nvidia will run a final check and return the service to an online state.

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding. :) 

On 11/17/2021 at 10:22 AM, Zarcata said:

Will there be compensation for the downtime? It's not just a few hours, but many days and there doesn't seem to be a quick solution. Other players have this time for mining, mission runs and much more. How do you accommodate players who played there?

This is something that needs to be discussed with our Customer Support.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Dual Universe uses a lot of unusual tech that many games don't usually use.

?

Sorry, but this is just too good to not have a good laugh about..

On 11/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, NQ-Deckard said:

Just to update you all, the two issues causing the crashes have been resolved.

One on Nvidia's side, and one related to shaders on our side.

Now, if someone could check the game on Shadow PC.. 

On 11/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, Jake Arver said:

?

Sorry, but this is just too good to not have a good laugh about..

Now, if someone could check the game on Shadow PC.. 

Test it out and let us know.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, Doombad said:

Test it out and let us know.

I did and

DU works again on Shadow PC .. 

Obviously, NQ did not even bother to check as they have not said a word and clearly, the issue causing the game to crash on GFN was the same that prevented it from working on Shadow. As several of us pretty much predicted ...