Thoughts on and the hidden message in the new CEO announcement

Novean-32184

Did not want to pull the "welcome the new CEO" off topic so I'm posting separate..

A new CEO is potentially good.. It may mean NQ found some money to pay what seems to be an established game producer as CEO.

Nouredine Abboud is a game producer with some decent titles to his credit but nothing like Dual Universe which is a very different beast alltogether. Also, what makes him CEO material from being a producer. I gueess we'l lhave to wait and see.

It's interesting for sure and could go either way, for now I gueess I'll be cautiously optimistic but if the core attitude and behavior of NQ (especially in regards to how they engage and communicate with their community) does not change, this will not make much difference.

What I'd like to know is how this will fit in the plans, as he is from France/in Paris, does NQ plan to keep two expensive locations running?

Then, what is hiding in plain sight is this; "As we reach the final stretch leading to the launch"

Not sure but it would be interesting when the rest of the game will be brought in, before or after this "launch"

And with the rest of the game, I meean (among other things and in no particular order):

• Territory warfare
  • AvA, CvA and AvC combat
  • Player Markets
  • New solar systems
  • Stargates
  • pets

I do not see how NQ will be able to hit a 2021 deadline for release so I guess that means they are shooting for Q1 2022.

Indeed.   Player markets, removal of bots, etc. are going to be key.  With the mining change, the urgency for new solar systems is down, although procedurally generated planets and "stargates" were the main draw from me back on day 1.

15 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

Did not want to pull the "welcome the new CEO" off topic so I'm posting separate..

A new CEO is potentially good.. It may mean NQ found some money to pay what seems to be an established game producer as CEO.

Nouredine Abboud is a game producer with some decent titles to his credit but nothing like Dual Universe which is a very different beast alltogether. Also, what makes him CEO material from being a producer. I gueess we'l lhave to wait and see.

It's interesting for sure and could go either way, for now I gueess I'll be cautiously optimistic but if the core attitude and behavior of NQ (especially in regards to how they engage and communicate with their community) does not change, this will not make much difference.

What I'd like to know is how this will fit in the plans, as he is from France/in Paris, does NQ plan to keep two expensive locations running?

Then, what is hiding in plain sight is this; "As we reach the final stretch leading to the launch"

Not sure but it would be interesting when the rest of the game will be brought in, before or after this "launch"

And with the rest of the game, I meean (among other things and in no particular order):

• Territory warfare
  • AvA, CvA and AvC combat
  • Player Markets
  • New solar systems
  • Stargates
  • pets

I do not see how NQ will be able to hit a 2021 deadline for release so I guess that means they are shooting for Q1 2022.

I believe a large part of the development team is still in France, as well as Accounts and Billing.

As for launch period, their last estimate was mid 2022.

I think AVA and atmo pvp in general are out; atleast until after launch. There isn't even fall damage or a health system and weapons don't have any obstruction due to land or objects which is huge. I think the plan is just bug fix, cut cost, couple new features but mostly get released and balance the budget.

I think it's great that NQ finally has a CEO with gaming experience...after over 7 years. 

Granted, I don't understand why it took them so long. I think it shows a step in the right direction and that they are going to stick with this product until it can get at least to early access release. 

The question for me is, why does a game producer with a major studio choose to leeave after 15 years for a role which reallyy does not require much of the skillset he cleearly has with a struggling small indie studio.

While it is pure speculative, but this smells like a deal to me where Ubisoft is actually taking ownership of NQ or they enter into a publishing deal of sorts. Now, I'm not saying that woudl be bad, in fact I think somthing like that may well be exactly what NQ needs to get whipped into shape and start perfoming as well as get some much needed financial support and an experienced resource to solve some of the many major issue the game has "under the hood".

In such a case, the move makes much more sense as he becomes "the man at tha table" for Ubisoft.

So while yes, pure guess work on my end, I would actually see that as a positive if it were true and kind of hope it is.

I hope this doesn't mean we're getting the monetization scheme of the Ghost Recon games. While the game is fun at times the amount of stuff for sale for real money is sickening. 

New CEO being the "business" person and the need to save money on server usage, seems like it's likely to have some new things to buy. But hey there already here honestly with being able to buy skins through the friend system.

If NQ would start offering cosmetic items for cash only, like special voxel materials, skins and/or decorative items, I would not see any problem with that.

Functional items though should always at least remain accessible and available in game.

But that is for a different discussion once the first signs of such option start arriving.

Disclaimer, I don't actually think this is going to happen.

But if we are going to start looking for worst case monetization schemes, I could easily see a situation where you suddenly had an option to pay for the territory tax with real money. They would probably package it into something more manageable and easy to swallow for players like the DAC, but still.

Oh, I could absolutely see DAC being used as one opossible means to "pay tax" on a TU. "As long as you have DAC, your TU tax will be taken automatically every X weeks"

or

"By adding gametime using DAC, you will also gain a free TU tax month on your first claim"

On 11/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, CptLoRes said:

Disclaimer, I don't actually think this is going to happen.

But if we are going to start looking for worst case monetization schemes, I could easily see a situation where you suddenly had an option to pay for the territory tax with real money. They would probably package it into something more manageable and easy to swallow for players like the DAC, but still.

Lol except if you have a guild with one person owning all the tiles since it would be 1mil to buy, 1mil a week, and like 16mil to transfer tiles and you could have one person paying to dodge taxes and nobody else would need to do it.

I could see .25 cents per tile being a thing added as either a premium sub or some kind of alacarte option.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, Jake Arver said:

While it is pure speculative, but this smells like a deal to me where Ubisoft is actually taking ownership of NQ or they enter into a publishing deal of sorts. Now, I'm not saying that woudl be bad, in fact I think somthing like that may well be exactly what NQ needs to get whipped into shape and start perfoming as well as get some much needed financial support and an experienced resource to solve some of the many major issue the game has "under the hood".

Its interesting speculation... More likely, tho, whole story much more mundane:

On road to pooping out MVP product to release, they needed someone as CEO, both for operations and public image. Stars were beyond reach obviously, but NQ not wanted complete noname too. Also, probably they super-heavly prefered french (this narrowed variants quite a bit) and someone who can/want stay in their locations (Paris?).

This where mr. Abboud come in perfectly as sort of OK variant.

Personaly I heavly doubt he will be able to turn around super complex game such DU. He mostly worked on rather "conveyor belt" Ghost Recons, that are typical Ubisoft braindead grinding shit of clearing 100 outposts, games more about decade old formula and asset swaps, then any deep idea or mechanics, innovative or creative thinking. And last game, where he acted as exec producer (Breakpoint), was very weak one, to put it diplomaticly (https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-breakpoint).

Ubisoft connection can be bonus, but idk, weight difference seems to be too large to such titan be interested in such midget in any way.