Combat used to be more fun

Daphne Jones

Combat was more fun before shields.

First, let me say when I want to avoid combat, shields are great. Most of the time the shield gives me time to escape without taking any damage. But with shields, what is the meta? Solo L core or dual-boxed dual seat L core for more weapons. The meta sacrifices shield-down survivability in exchange for single player piloting/gunning and better acceleration.

What did we have before shields? You had to have armor which put a limit on both acceleration and minimizing cross section. You also had to have repair crew on board, so even if you're using a single pilot/gunner, combat was still multi-crew. Whether piloting, gunning, or running around trying to keep the ship from blowing up, the team play was just more fun than what we have now.

I suppose fleet play is also team play, but so far, I don't feel it the same way.

I don't particularly want shield removed from the game because most of the time I want to avoid combat, but I do want combat to be fun when I do want to do it.

Thoughts?

NQ will never create fun combat in this game. You can thank JC for that.

I love space games but there is nothing even remotely fun in combat since it is fully script reliant over actual skill or being able to dodge and have any sort of chance with the abush/win conditions they have created or the RNG based tab targeting homing system they have created in general is a mess at best.

Combat might be fun if/when NQ:

• Remove the speed cap in space
  • Remove the vaccume slide of space so that dog fights or dodge mechanics can come into play. Such as in EPs like star wars where Atmo based dog fights are no different than space dog fights.
  • Remove player PvP scripting entirely to level the playing field
  • Remove the RNG Tab Target lock and force people to get close and have to actually aim/lead shots as well as add defensive countermeasures such as radar jammers, nano-chaff, etc.
  • Add defenses to the game that dont cripple you more than actually do what they are intended to do. If shields cause core stress the energy lazer weapons should do the same.
  • Add actual auto turrets and security defense mechanics to the game

I could keep going but combat is pretty bad in this game unless you are exploiting it to the max. It requires no skill and at some point soon they will need to create elements for planetary defense mechanics for planetary battles. Youll never get people to man turrets on the ground 24/7 so some kind of defense based AI is going to be needed. Hell AI in general in this game is needed since they are driving out their playerbase with their terrible decisions there wont be many people left to even experience combat soon after people lose tons of ships, money, etc in the incoming asteroid mining as the only solution to the ore debacle.

14 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Combat was more fun before shields.

First, let me say when I want to avoid combat, shields are great. Most of the time the shield gives me time to escape without taking any damage. But with shields, what is the meta? Solo L core or dual-boxed dual seat L core for more weapons. The meta sacrifices shield-down survivability in exchange for single player piloting/gunning and better acceleration.

What did we have before shields? You had to have armor which put a limit on both acceleration and minimizing cross section. You also had to have repair crew on board, so even if you're using a single pilot/gunner, combat was still multi-crew. Whether piloting, gunning, or running around trying to keep the ship from blowing up, the team play was just more fun than what we have now.

I suppose fleet play is also team play, but so far, I don't feel it the same way.

I don't particularly want shield removed from the game because most of the time I want to avoid combat, but I do want combat to be fun when I do want to do it.

Thoughts?

voxels are almost useless because they added CCS.  I don't like it either, it used to be fun and interesting to fight.