Value per Hour ??? Atmo Brake ???

Joxico

Hi NQ, 

For me the value of the Mining in L/h is sooo ridiculus ! in ONE HOUR 1/2 scoop of traditional mining ? how to build something or create something ? 
the atmo break stacking is the onlty way to have enought break without kill the ship design !! please leave it !

thanks for your feedback !

Good piloting will solve your brake problem. You actually only need airbrakes because we don't have wheels. Even so, you only need brakes to kill the last few kph and even that can be done by cutting the hovers in a pinch. Practice!

You don't have to be that extreme. I've been building with plenty of braking with the brakes on the outside and unobstructed since alpha. Sure, I can't parachute from the edge of space, but I have braking that can only be described as easy mode on most of my ships.

I will miss the Khonsu (prototype) someone bought for me a long time ago which will no longer have any braking at all in atmo. But it will make a nice ramp decoration.

There should be no brakes at all. We are 10.000 years in the future. We have Anti-gravity, Warp and Teleportation technology, yet somehow we still need engine walls burning fuel and gazillions of "brakes". We could instead have a small anti-gravity generator or some electromagnetic engines or so, which of course would work as propulsion both in the atmosphere and in space. No need for carrying massive amounts of liquid fuel in huge tanks and so on.

But no .... we have engine walls, 500 wings per ship,  379 vertical boosters, 498 large atmo brakes and 392 retro rockets. Yay ...

8 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Good piloting will solve your brake problem. You actually only need airbrakes because we don't have wheels. Even so, you only need brakes to kill the last few kph and even that can be done by cutting the hovers in a pinch. Practice!

Try a fully loaded 'runway landing' on Ion ..... a planet of mountains.

Saying that brakes are not really needed is just silly really. 

The problem is the basic design choices made early on and the way NQ allowed players to go to extremes and are now taking that away.

If brakes had worked "properly" from the start and had NQ designed the game in a way where you haul large volume/mass in space and then smaller mass on to planet surface things woudl have been very different.. For one we woudl have had way more space stations with player run markets and traffic there. NQ by their design focussed everything planetside and around their markets.

But player run markets have been taken off the table long ago, space stations really serve little to no prupose and the game loops really mostly focus around Alioth still because outside of maybe mining (and for some pewpew), there is really no reason at all to leave the planet.

7 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

Saying that brakes are not really needed is just silly really. 

Why is it silly?

What exactly is the current Anti-Gravity Generator if not just a big honking brake - but which, oh my, doesn't work in conjunction with air resistance and friction but rather with gravity.

So, why couldn't we use the existing  AGG, or smaller AGGs or similar for "braking"?

And why do we need fuel-burning atmo engines, when we already have the said AG technology and even teleportation technology?
Then, following this of course, if we would actually have era-appropriate "engines", i.e. something based on (anti)gravity or electromagnetism or such - then naturally we would not need wings, stabilizers, ailerons and physical brakes --- thus, we could actually concentrate on building beautiful ships, real, era-appropriate sci-fi ships, and not the monstrosities we have today.

It is just mind-boggling and frustrating when you know you have all those technologies already, but somehow, per arbitrary decision, you are not allowed to use them, except in "certain" situations. Ugh .,...

On 10/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, Joxico said:

For me the value of the Mining in L/h is sooo ridiculus ! in ONE HOUR 1/2 scoop of traditional mining ? how to build something or create something ?

You can only do one scoop mining, with the autominers you can have multiple miners active at the same time. With max skills you could have 36-48 autominers running. 4-6+ per tile, with adjacency bonus of an additional 60%. Gottchar calculated that you could get 150.000 liters of ore per day with max skills and 30-60min of 'work' per day. If the amount of ore per played hour is your only concern, this is better, unless you got thrown meganodes in your lap on a continuous basis (many meganoders keep forgetting that finding them is a significant amount of work).

16 hours ago, Cergorach said:

You can only do one scoop mining, with the autominers you can have multiple miners active at the same time. With max skills you could have 36-48 autominers running. 4-6+ per tile, with adjacency bonus of an additional 60%. Gottchar calculated that you could get 150.000 liters of ore per day with max skills and 30-60min of 'work' per day. If the amount of ore per played hour is your only concern, this is better, unless you got thrown meganodes in your lap on a continuous basis (many meganoders keep forgetting that finding them is a significant amount of work).

Your not running around your 20-30 tiles in 30-60 minutes to operate your 36-48 tiles.  And you would have to do that every single day. (because you can only bank 10 charges). And you need to haul that ore to a central point for processing or market.  Probably looking at 2-6 hours a day if you had to run to multiple planets. 

11 hours ago, RugesV said:

Your not running around your 20-30 tiles in 30-60 minutes to operate your 36-48 tiles.  And you would have to do that every single day. (because you can only bank 10 charges). And you need to haul that ore to a central point for processing or market.  Probably looking at 2-6 hours a day if you had to run to multiple planets. 

You do ~7 autominers a day, every day, per character (we already have a job!). Why would you want to move all the ore to a central point/market every day. You could easily do that once a week or even once a month. 30-60 minutes a day is very realistic, not telling you how and why, figure that out yourself. Hint: Read what others have written about their actual experiences with the new mechanics. Too many sour comments in here by people that haven't touched the PTS server or even have a running subscription anymore (how can they even post in the forum?). Part of making quanta in DU is figuring out how to use the systems optimally, testing out concepts, etc.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, Cergorach said:

You do ~7 autominers a day, every day, per character (we already have a job!). Why would you want to move all the ore to a central point/market every day. You could easily do that once a week or even once a month. 30-60 minutes a day is very realistic, not telling you how and why, figure that out yourself. Hint: Read what others have written about their actual experiences with the new mechanics. Too many sour comments in here by people that haven't touched the PTS server or even have a running subscription anymore (how can they even post in the forum?). Part of making quanta in DU is figuring out how to use the systems optimally, testing out concepts, etc.

I completely agree, and our calculations also agree with your information here.

People do not tolerate change, it is better for them to stay in a worse world than to do something to move to a better one. People do not want change and this is their main problem. What is there to talk about if many cannot even adequately calculate the cost of goods on their own, taking into account skills - which is often shown by the market. And also there is overproduction.

Such changes are much better for the proactive.

The price per unit of ore will increase, since there will be less ore = the producer will do what is necessary and not everything in his mega-factory will make all the things in the game in one person. This is what causes overproduction. This means that the price per unit of goods will be relevant and profitable, almost regardless of what you will produce, it is beneficial for production workers, and to reduce these mega-building factories in size, which will also lighten the load on the server, reduce errors and allow players to spend less time on thousands of machines. In case of ore shortage or ore surplus, NQ will be able to easily change these numbers and control the economy so that it works and is profitable in all aspects. But yes, people do not understand this :) Since most do not even consider the price of the product, as I said earlier, and sell the product to themselves at a disadvantage, thinking that they are getting it.