DEMETER PTS PREVIEW - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

Just one weekend of PTS and maybe a second if NQ thinks it's needed? Announced a day before the first session starts?

That feels like NQ will go with the current patch unless something _really_ major pops up and then still only has one more weekend to test.

I feel this may be the make or break patch for DU, and it feels like NQ is not really giving it time to perculate.

But it will be interesteing to see what happens. I was considering reinstalling PTS for this to give the update a fair shake but this very limited access makes that impossible.. which is too bad.

1 hour ago, kulkija said:

Am I missing something because after seeing V-log video I had an impression the we will have plenty of time to test and comment Demeter update.

The whole territory taxation scheme kind of forces people to log back in if they want to have a chance of keeping what they have just in case the game gets back on track for them.. I guess the increase in logins will produce data which looks good on paper.. I assume Sanctuary will remain "tax free" and so I guess I'll just pack up my stuff and park it there..

Maybe @NQ-Deckard can confirm whether or not Sanctuary will remain as is and not require taxes to be paid on the one tile you have there.

Initial thoughts:

Shields look amazeballs.

Airbrake obstruction - Yikes but fine, we can adjust.

No indie in space - that needs a look. thats not going to work for me after all the work we put in up here.

3 minutes ago, Dracostan said:

Dropping in airbrake obstruction, without even mentioning it, as well as changing the active surface that needs to be kept clear, so breaking countless ship designs - BAD FORM, NQ.

Yeah, I *immediately* cratered my ship that I thought was in good flying form...

37 minutes ago, Dracostan said:

Dropping in airbrake obstruction, without even mentioning it, as well as changing the active surface that needs to be kept clear, so breaking countless ship designs - BAD FORM, NQ.

I have not had a chance to fly yet or test much but are you meaning that space in front of the airbrakes now need to be clear?

1 minute ago, Orth_Tanic said:

I have not had a chance to fly yet or test much but are you meaning that space in front of the airbrakes now need to be clear?

No, they changed it... Now the *top* needs to be clear, like retro-rocket brakes. So anyone who futureproofed their designs are completely out of luck.

1 minute ago, Koruzarius said:

No, they changed it... Now the *top* needs to be clear, like retro-rocket brakes. So anyone who futureproofed their designs are completely out of luck.

NQ-DeckardToday at 11:44 AM

Hello Noveans @here, We are aware of issues with industry not working in space on the PTS. This is infact a bug and not intended. Some of you have also asked about brake behaviour, we are currently testing a change to obstruction areas on the PTS and this can affect the large airbrakes. Fly carefully ? Thank you all for your support, and have fun testing on the PTS! ?

Question about space stations, where does the grid end for space taxation? If space grid is infinite I need to move my station cause its apparently within someone else's grid. Its 69.2km above Alioth surface and previously the grid would stop showing around 60km so I thought space after that was not under territory control. if I have to move my 8-Lcore space station to one of my territories I'll need some warning beforehand, dont want to lose it xD

2 minutes ago, Orth_Tanic said:

NQ-DeckardToday at 11:44 AM

Hello Noveans @here, We are aware of issues with industry not working in space on the PTS. This is infact a bug and not intended. Some of you have also asked about brake behaviour, we are currently testing a change to obstruction areas on the PTS and this can affect the large airbrakes. Fly carefully ? Thank you all for your support, and have fun testing on the PTS! ?

OMG THANK GOD

3 minutes ago, RA Nemesis said:

OMG THANK GOD

Well I hope they consider the test a failure, because this ship has 38 brakes all stacked such that the flare on the front is open to the air as the icon has always shown. 2 of them are functioning at 35% because the top ones of each of the two stacks are only *partially* blocked.

obstructed.png

8 minutes ago, Koruzarius said:

Well I hope they consider the test a failure, because this ship has 38 brakes all stacked such that the flare on the front is open to the air as the icon has always shown. 2 of them are functioning at 35% because the top ones of each of the two stacks are only *partially* blocked.

obstructed.png

Yea I agree I hope they see it as just that a failure. The good news its only being tested right now.

1 minute ago, Orth_Tanic said:

Yea I agree I hope they see it as just that a failure. The good news its only being tested right now.

True... But this is the test server, everything here is just being tested. That doesn't imply to me that it won't still get rolled out with Demeter.

@NQ-Deckard, any insight on that? Is this test intended for Demeter, and is the change in the obstruction face intentional and seriously being considered? This is going to make a lot of ship designs that were intended to be future-proofed completely unflyable.

Looks great, just a few things:

1. i don't think you should be taxed for the first tile you place on a planet, just like how it was before, so that you can safely have your house on a tile without it being disowned if you leave too long. not doing this will leave most planets empty as many people will migrate to space. IK you guys are taxing for mining but I think its a bit unfair if you don't want to - eg you sell ships and money can be few and far between.
  2. I'm usually pretty stoic about changes you make, even 0.23, but the new brake system really struck a nerve. these things are too flat and large to fit on the outside of sleek / detailed ships. either make them more powerful so that you need less on the outside or just keep it the way it was for now. the space brakes were already too much imo.
  3. i like the ctrl - # system so that you can play the last emote you did. would love to see this expanded in the future
  4. can you speed up scan rates on the pts so I can see results without having to wait 30 mins? would really help to just test out what tiles will be like.
  5. like the post above, I don't like the 'cone' system of obstruction you have atm. its very limiting and gets rediculous after long distances, as placing an engine at the front can still be obstructed by a hull completely out of the way of the engine. i think just a simple cylindrical hitbox would be better. at least make it so that we can see the entirety of it.

2 minutes ago, Koruzarius said:

True... But this is the test server, everything here is just being tested. That doesn't imply to me that it won't still get rolled out with Demeter.

@NQ-Deckard, any insight on that? Is this test intended for Demeter, and is the change in the obstruction face intentional and seriously being considered? This is going to make a lot of ship designs that were intended to be future-proofed completely unflyable.

I agree but I also think they are looking at feedback so I hope they are reading this forum and realize its a HUGE problem. 

1 hour ago, Orth_Tanic said:

I agree but I also think they are looking at feedback so I hope they are reading this forum and realize its a HUGE problem. 

I'd think this should be separate from this release if this a direction they want to go. 

I will have more complete thoughts on this system after I have had more time to play with it. 

There is one glaring headache I can see right off the bat, and it seems easily fixable. When transferring money to the territory wallet, it always comes from the owners wallet. This adds a needless and super annoying step to the process, where you would need to transfer money to the tile owner and then from there to the tile. Why not let us select the wallet we wish to transfer from?

Unfortunately I am unable to try it, it hits 98% graphics and locks up. Im running a ryzen 7 3800x with a rtx 2070 gpu. 32gb ram and running du on an ssd. This is my first attempt at participating on the PTS. Not good so far.

I would say though that from what i have seen from others, I will point out my current dislikes:

1: I think all old scans should be obsolete. Those sitting on thousands of scans have already benefitted from the meganodes and now they will be double dipping with finding the higher output tiles. We should all start fresh ,giving new players a chance. If not than raise tax on higher yielding tiles and lower tax on lower yielded ones.

2: 1 Mil/h is way to much tax in a 7 day period. A month maybe.

3: Much more time and discussion should be given about the airbrake nerf. Either new element to replace or DU ships will look as bad as Starbase.

Sorry, I wish you could give praise but , if I can not run it, than I cant play.

image.thumb.png.53bffe9fdfc66245082b1ea655255991.png

So it looks like after the preview video you snuck in a resource pool. If this continues to Live I would just like to say that I think having a tile become empty after spending all that effort to do the slow painful extraction process is REALLY REALLY annoying and I personally find it EXTREMELY discouraging.