Mining talents reset with Demeter update - Discussion thread

NQ-Pann

Why not do the mining reset AND give an opt in/opt out option for full talent respec?

So much has been tied to mining since the beginning that a full reset should at least be an option with this update. Terraforming, space travel, pvp and industry are all talents that I trained because I mined. If mining is changing this drastically I want to be able to adjust ALL of my talents to fit my new play style.

11 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

The negatives to a complete reset are:

• The tedium of putting talents back in again that you didn't want to respec;
  • For people who are not actively playing, a talent wipe means that all queued talents are likely removed from the active training queue. This means when the player returns, they have hardly any accrued talent points, and they are pretty unhappy. (This is a beta: players aren't expected to play daily until launch.)

If those are the only two negatives to doing a reset. (And in reality the 2nd one is a boon for NQ as it will require those people to log in and update there Q potentially bringing players back into the game.) 

Then the solution is as simple as allowing players to opt in. IE after the patch when the player first joins in a popup happens asking if they wish to reset.  or maybe you need to type out /reset in chat. 

Adding an "apply points to current queue" button is hard.. It would make respec easy enough on a point reset to the pool if you can just drop talents in the queue and hit a button to apply points but.. that is very hard to program indeed.. /s

or better still an option per talent to 'refund' talent/level with a click.  Saves people having to do a full respec which is time consuming and you forget what you had originally done and then equally gives flexibility to a one off respec refunding ones that are now useless to them.

34 minutes ago, Cooter said:

but the problem with asking for too much is that you risk getting nothing

Uh, really? What sort of professional company reacts like that to paying customers...? Not one that stays in business for very long.

"Well, we were going to do something....but we heard you wanted more, so now you get NOTHING! Hah!" :D 

10 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

Uh, really? What sort of professional company reacts like that to paying customers...? Not one that stays in business for very long.

"Well, we were going to do something....but we heard you wanted more, so now you get NOTHING! Hah!" :D 

Providers who have a huge number of customers can afford to underestimate service or insult customers, so one or a hundred customers out of several million are of no consequence.
In smaller companies, however, one should still be concerned about every customer, especially since a customer could also have 10 others in his acquaintance and rate the product well or badly there.

But I also see in the market as a whole that "customer is king" has been just an advertising slogan for a very long time.

It's not just the direct mining talents, it's also the related stuff, terraforming, the linked container skills, etc. Moving of product over fast distances, etc. Now we have to own the tile to automine, place static core units, etc. It's now just easier to build directly from what you mine, so a ton of skills are either no longer relevant or just suboptimal.

Then we have the pvp crowd who's had change after change to pvp, that also impacts the useful combat skills.

Honestly, just pile on a complete talent point chargeback, might make a lot of people more happy to completely respec with all the drastic changes.

Side-note: It would be nice if someone could spend some time on improving the Talent Point interface. Things like exporting a list of your currently trained talents, importing a training list, etc. Multiselct skills, richtclick, move to top/bottom, etc.

12 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Side-note: It would be nice if someone could spend some time on improving the Talent Point interface. Things like exporting a list of your currently trained talents, importing a training list, etc. Multiselct skills, richtclick, move to top/bottom, etc.

Gl with that. Devs ignore this request for years now. Either they simple CAN'T change it or they don't WANT to. Either way, i said it before and i say it again:

Their UI dev should be fired. Never seen a more clunky, uninteresting, useless and very bad UI

• 2 weeks later...

@NQ-Pann, @NQ-Sesch, @NQ-Deckard

I hope you will strongly will reconsider a partial reset of talent points. The players aren't asking for a talent point reset every weekend or every month with every update, we are requesting one because you have fundamentally changed the game. Your partial reset also unfairly gives advantage to a fraction of players and punishes everyone else.

How Builders Are Impacted:
- Builders like myself are spec'ed for honeycomb and element industry to have elements we need to build.
- Builders typically make less in months selling designs then miners even in just a few hours.
- Most people are hoarding Quanta/Ore, and not buying designs cause of fear of upcoming impact of Dementor.
- Most builders will have to wait till Airbrakes and Voxel Precision tool are implemented now before they can start selling 2.0 designs.
- Builders will be severely disadvantaged economically because of lack of skill points to put into new mining system.
- Builders need as much skills in new mining system to earn revenue to afford their tiles due to taxes.
- We have been told HQ tiles (if they are implemented) likely won't arrive with Dementor update and tax implementation.

For a game that advertises itself as "The Best Space MMO Building Game"  your decisions heavy handedly punish your content creators/builders. Who have already made sacrifices and lost opportunities to be much wealthier to instead build something for the dwindling number of players who live in DU. You have told builders to go back to Sanctuary, and then stacked the deck against us by doing a partial skill reset.

Having a full skill reset before, built the expectation that if a reset occurred due to a change of this level it would be all talents, especially when you could economically handicap an entire demographic of players. Make this the last one but tell us that it is the last full reset, but don't just drop it on us and economically punish the poorest segment of players for trying to build content that benefits the community vs. grinding/hoarding resources and quanta.

This post is probably pretty pointless, but your decisions are harming those that work the hardest to inspire others to visit and build themselves... so I am screaming at the top of my lungs to help you see just how poorly balanced the impact is across different segments of the playerbase. If you reset all skills, then everyone fairly gets a change to reset their skills as they need, this includes pvp'ers, people who spec'ed into skills that have functionality that has been abandoned, etc.

Its just stupid that they arent resetting Teraforming talents that in many casest are intricately tied to mining or the fact that the flatten tool for the most part is the real mining tool should be included since they are also killing teraforming in this even if they dont want to admit it.

I do agree that the talents they are adding just dont just run off the old mining talents and just apply them all as PDs

Its not like NQ ever required people to become a class they dont want to play as a condition to play te game you didnt choose to play.

What NQ is entirely overlooking, and what really justifies a full reset of TP is that players may have mining characters which need to RETAIN their mining talents for asteropids while ALSO moving some talents around to add mining unit talents.

I really do not unerstand how they have not considered that at all it seems.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, Daphne Jones said:

I'd rather not mess with redoing talents, but at least it's not everything. I would be perfectly happy with keeping the mining talents and just queuing the mining unit talents. I don't expect to be able to get any mining units quickly anyway... there's time for the queue to run.

Yeah but unless you were a miner or took their hint when they first announced Demeter to instantly start quing mining talents so that you can hit the ground running and have all the PDs and Mining Unit talents as soon as you log in.

TBH they dont need to reset any talents since asteroids are technically mining so it still exists and its not like you dont still need mining talents to do it which they are forcing people into. This talent reset was to let players exploit the pre-qued exp of anyone who was not already in mining to get the drop day 1 when they were never miners but have all the exp they need when the talents go live to hit the ground running.

Dont know if anyone caught that but the timeframe pretty much lets you que all the exp you needed if you instantly qued mining talent when they dropped the news on Demener for both the mining and the industrial talents.