Mining talents reset with Demeter update - Discussion thread

NQ-Pann

+1 For PVP talents.  You have changed so much over the past few months with regards to PVP.  For example the statistics of voxels and the weapons statistics . Giving us a PVP point reset would really help out as some of us wasted a lot time training talents geared towards the old PVP voxel and weapon statistics.

thank you. so along with a new set of talents correlated to the miner units and a deferent skillset for that purpose, is there also a new skillset for

territory scanning units after this patch so they read "pools" now rather than liter of ore? and or are those units even going to work for scanning after the patch?..  answers to these questions would greatly help several players i know who just started the game again after  being afk for a year or so... also it may help quite a few others prepare for a final decision on mining and or what to do with those reallocated talent points at all.

16 minutes ago, i2eilly said:

+1 For PVP talents.  You have changed so much over the past few months with regards to PVP.  For example the statistics of voxels and the weapons statistics . Giving us a PVP point reset would really help out as some of us wasted a lot time training talents geared towards the old PVP voxel and weapon statistics.

Honestly I think this is more of a fundamental issue with the pvp talents being so granular. You could spend all your time/points over months on a certain meta then suddenly the meta changes and you have months of points tied up in off meta talents. 

9 minutes ago, DecoyGoatBomb said:

Honestly I think this is more of a fundamental issue with the pvp talents being so granular. You could spend all your time/points over months on a certain meta then suddenly the meta changes and you have months of points tied up in off meta talents. 

Yeah I agree, but would be nice during BETA to able to change talents as they change our playstyles.  It has happend a few times now and those PVP talents for Lv5 take 23 days each :(

It's disappointing to see the community poll ignored and the decision to "spot reset" talents not fully explained. 

Mining Rework-  It's not just about mining and most don't seem to get that.  This is an entire evolution of the gameplay loop within DU and the resulting change affects all aspects of the game. 

Previously on NQ files;

Mining WAS required by 90% of the community in order to build, earn money, do industry and pvp.  With the introduction of missions there was no reset of skills, but this enabled a new form of "trucker" gameplay where flight skills and defensive knowledge allowed for a new gameplay loop and new way of earning currency.  Those that did not like mining but had to spec into it did not get a reset of their skills. When pvp changed, most pvpers still had to mine to build ships, adapt the meta, and stay rich enough to continue fighting. (First change whole community received a reset at 0.23)  When the pvp honeycomb, shield, new gun size patch hit the entire meta was disrupted (good) however none of those players got any reset to fix their builds or be able to adapt to it without spending the next few weeks learning skills they didn't have prior and being stuck with skills they no longer needed. 

So much has changed in the year since 0.23 dropped and the brutal impact it had on the community.  The community today is not the same as it was previously and has accepted and adapted to all of the changes that NQ has put forth.  The game is heading in a much better direction and evolving into a fully casual experience for everyone, while some are opposed, this actually creates a system where "less work" is required for the small time player to achieve their own personal goals.  Where previously one could spend weeks mining all the required materials for a build project, only to start building and then need to go mine again.  Now with this new system, they may go mine a bulk start, but their autominers can assist with providing materials while they build instead. (insert any job any player wants to do, and this assists).

What NQ fails to realize is the need for a full reset.  Since mining can now be automated, every part of the talent tree and your "Year long Character Build" for your account is fully under stress.  Now that the community has a "clearer" view of the direction of the game as put forth by NQ in their streams, we may no longer simply want to play the game in the same fashion as we did a year ago.  With so many new loops and gameplay options available, and the ability to reduce overall time in some tasks while focusing on what you are passionate about, players should not be "held accountable" for their "talent builds" from December 2020 where mining/industrial regrowth (schematics) became the central focus of the vast majority of the community.  Players put talents into industry to help their friends/orgs better manage the growth of their futures, where as it may no longer be required if one simply wants to be the best space trucker they can be.  

New builds open with a full respec of the tree, and although some may say "tedious" it really is just a pure laziness reason for not wanting to do it.  Like your tree now, just put the points back where they are. For the rest of the community that wants to "Evolve" with the game in its direction, so many new options are opened, but a year of talents block most of them for the vast majority of the veteren playerbase to date.

New Builds and New ways to play are the future of DU.  Please NQ let us adapt fully and not just 2 weeks of skills.

I do not understand. It seems like there is unnecessary resistance to allowing us to respec talents. However, in a vast majority of games you spend some in game currency to allow yourself the ability to respec your talent points. It seems that you are already half way there with the ability to do so in PTS. So to make everyone happy, it would only make sense to allow us to purchase a respec pill at the market. This allows those that want to respect the ability to do so and those that despise the idea to continue to despise it and leave their talents alone. Why is this not your course of action in this case? This seems like a win win no brainer - what am I missing? 

@NQ-Pann

Terraforming is also required.... most ppl invested points to dig to ores.
Now you say that digging is an activity damaging to the servers. So any talents related to digging need to be returned...

But in the general view, this change you guys are making changes gameplay completely, full talent reset should be made, so ppl can choose new carriers.

38 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

@NQ-Pann

Terraforming is also required.... most ppl invested points to dig to ores.
Now you say that digging is an activity damaging to the servers. So any talents related to digging need to be returned...

But in the general view, this change you guys are making changes gameplay completely, full talent reset should be made, so ppl can choose new carriers.

Yes, 100.. I don't care about the ground RP at all.

Its a bit interesting why NQ is so resistant to doing a full reset. Its not like they dont have the capability they have done it in the past. So I am trying to think of a reason why they would not want to.  Is it a service they want to sell? Is there a bigger change coming in the future that is going to need a reset? Worried that reset requests will become the norm on future major updates? Just want to watch players squirm under your control?

Anyways I just dont see the negatives to doing a reset, and lots of positives to doing a reset.  Just going to give a big thumbs down to only resetting mining skills. 

The negatives to a complete reset are:

• The tedium of putting talents back in again that you didn't want to respec;
  • For people who are not actively playing, a talent wipe means that all queued talents are likely removed from the active training queue. This means when the player returns, they have hardly any accrued talent points, and they are pretty unhappy. (This is a beta: players aren't expected to play daily until launch.)

5 hours ago, iIViperIi said:

I do not understand. It seems like there is unnecessary resistance to allowing us to respec talents. However, in a vast majority of games you spend some in game currency to allow yourself the ability to respec your talent points. It seems that you are already half way there with the ability to do so in PTS. So to make everyone happy, it would only make sense to allow us to purchase a respec pill at the market. This allows those that want to respect the ability to do so and those that despise the idea to continue to despise it and leave their talents alone. Why is this not your course of action in this case? This seems like a win win no brainer - what am I missing? 

My initial comment was going to be "Do not open this Pandora box" do not do any rest. 

But then I saw iIViperli reply and it made the most sense. 

5 hours ago, RugesV said:

Just want to watch players squirm under your control?

In the end, a player will adapt or he will simply leave the game. I'll stay as long as I can find fun and build. If building is too limited or too much work for me, or if PvP is considered the main game content or the game is a copy of Eve, I'll just leave. Am I really worried about that? No. There are plenty of games that can fill my free time with fun.