INSIDE NOVAQUARK: DEMETER EDITION - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

So how are the tools going to help me with this base? Its half dug out and half filled in.  With the dirt that was dug out being used to fill it in. And not only was it a shell filled in, it was solidly filled in. 

1596770620_BumberBaseNorth.png

667228250_BunkerBaseEast.png

Bunker Base Entrance.png

Bunker Base South.png

1557185261_BunkerBaseWest.png

Mustr say i love the small line: "What happens when you loose your territory, bad stuff hapens to your constructs. You mean they are up for grabs. yep"

In short loose your territory, loose your constructs on it. Anyone can steel them.

And also the tax % will not be named not to shock us?  lol

Think this will be the end soon.

41 minutes ago, Tional said:

Can you please confirm this confirmation? The verbal answers in the video were not clear.

image.png.54a88dc589dd0fea85d3e084f2ee1edd.png

Let's say you had a scan for a given territory. After the update, the scan will still be there in your inventory. It will no longer show you the current underground ore information as this information will now be outdated. Instead it will show you the ore information for the new mining unit feature. So a scan item will still be valid and show relevant information.

Good blog , lots of useful info. Many unanswered questions of course. My hope is that this will finally put the nail in the performance issues as i suspect this is whats at the heart of part of it.

yes , you should compensate talents for mining . Its a game changer to  have talents for something now that is high risk and unlikely for many planet dwellers and non pvp players. Your saving cost for operations so i think it would respect those who would like it to take talent points from mining and be allowed to reallocate them in exchange. Its sounds a reasonable exchange. If you like the mining talents you can then just re allocate them.

Yes, you will need to dig out our mountain lair which we spent time terraforming in a mountain, and perhaps you can demonstrate on our base @NQ-deckard in PTS what it would be like . I tend to feel that  removing build core space will destroy the base and we may spend as much time re- terraforming to fill the gaps created. But happy to lend our pts base for a before and after test for you. 

Welcome tax reductions and small territory costs although i think that you really need to think through cost profile , scaled costs will stop large land grabs. The abandoned territory / no payment scenarios.  It could go to auction ;) .

Suggest that constructs fetch cool downs might need loosening for dynamics when it goes live for a while.

Also i think all scans should be wiped. Clean sheet. But would ask scan can be sorted by tile number or size /rate per hour

16 minutes ago, NQ-Sirg said:

Let's say you had a scan for a given territory. After the update, the scan will still be there in your inventory. It will no longer show you the current underground ore information as this information will now be outdated. Instead it will show you the ore information for the new mining unit feature. So a scan item will still be valid and show relevant information.

Thank you!

I am a bit disappointed that there appears to be only one mining unit. 

Should be:

T1 Basic, Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, Exotic

T2 basic, Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, Exotic

T3 basic, Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, Exotic

T4 Basic, Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, Exotic

T5 Basic, Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, Exotic

Where Uncommon would give you a slightly better calibration (IE more bonus ore), the Advanced gives more yield per unit. the Rare gives you longer period of time between maintenance periods. The Exotic gives you more yield and time. 

I think the auto mining units are a great add to the game. But NQ you really need to add more than half a dozen asteroids to safe zone. They're lot players in this game that don't care to pvp and the safe zone asteroids we do have are mined out to quick. With planet mining going away these asteroids will be over crowed and mined out in hours. I feel you will lose a lot of players in this game if you don't release more safe zone asteroids. 

Guys, in addition to the fact that after each server restart, you are forced to launch all your factories, now after the restart you will have to restart all your mining units ?

How could any professional game studio not understand something as basic as how the game's costs would scale...?

They talk about cost like it's some unknowable thing that snuck up on them. The pricing for AWS is not some mystery. You'd think at least once over the past 7 years they would have...I don't know, run some projections? 

No one bothered to do any math as they were designing the game to understand the cost of their product...?

No one tested their prototype to understand how costs would scale? 

No one cared about cost when they created their subscription model? How did they even understand what to charge players if they didn't bother doing projections?

Beyond the change itself....it shows that NQ's dev philosophy is still 100% reactionary -- they don't test or plan in advance. They don't design in advance. They throw things into production then figure out what to change. There's a reason it's taken them 7+ years to not even finish a beta...they have to keep going back and changing things because they don't have a design. 

No one really believes that NQ really understands what this change will do. 

They'll throw it into production then figure out the next problem...

I'd be really surprised if this game ever approached anything near "feature-complete". 

There will be a lot of redoing of landscaping. NQ, could you improve the flattening tool?

• Make it fill when ground drops below and there is soil in inventory. Currently only way to fill is by shooting soil balls. It's tedious and very easily leaves gaps which cause a lot of rendering issues and unnecessarily fill your databases.
  • Bigger radius and height with max talents.
  • Slopes.

Alternatively, give me Deckard's "box cutter". Limiting it to own static construct's should avoid abuse.

46 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

How could any professional game studio not understand something as basic as how the game's costs would scale...?

They talk about cost like it's some unknowable thing that snuck up on them. The pricing for AWS is not some mystery. You'd think at least once over the past 7 years they would have...I don't know, run some projections? 

No one bothered to do any math as they were designing the game to understand the cost of their product...?

No one tested their prototype to understand how costs would scale? 

No one cared about cost when they created their subscription model? How did they even understand what to charge players if they didn't bother doing projections?

Beyond the change itself....it shows that NQ's dev philosophy is still 100% reactionary -- they don't test or plan in advance. They don't design in advance. They throw things into production then figure out what to change. There's a reason it's taken them 7+ years to not even finish a beta...they have to keep going back and changing things because they don't have a design. 

No one really believes that NQ really understands what this change will do. 

They'll throw it into production then figure out the next problem...

I'd be really surprised if this game ever approached anything near "feature-complete". 

Because they have built something no other game studio has created before. They also were not able to predict how players would exploit the game.  Almost all traditional MMOs take 5+ years to develop, so 7+ for a groundbreaking game like DU is not surprising. Would you have preferred that they just keep an unsustainable system in or fix it like they have. I for one think this system is a good solution. The only change I would have made would be to make the ore resources shift once a month like SWG did.

3 minutes ago, CMDRTaco said:

Because they have built something no other game studio has created before. They also were not able to predict how players would exploit the game.  Almost all traditional MMOs take 5+ years to develop, so 7+ for a groundbreaking game like DU is not surprising. Would you have preferred that they just keep an unsustainable system in or fix it like they have. I for one think this system is a good solution. The only change I would have made would be to make the ore resources shift once a month like SWG did.

LOL

So they could not calculate an average if meters of digging per ore node? And then calculate the amount of changed voxels per meter? And then multiply by the number of nodes in the game?

1 minute ago, joaocordeiro said:

LOL

So they could not calculate an average if meters of digging per ore node? And then calculate the amount of changed voxels per meter? And then multiply by the number of nodes in the game?

Servers don't always scale linearly and if you saw the video with the massive amounts of tunnels, they didn't predict how nuts players would have went with mining.

7 minutes ago, CMDRTaco said:

Servers don't always scale linearly and if you saw the video with the massive amounts of tunnels, they didn't predict how nuts players would have went with mining.

So, what could they not predict?
The amount of ore they placed?
The amount of ore each player mined?

By how much did they fail to calculate?

PS: "Servers don't always scale linearly" What? When did the server scale? They could have calculated this 2 years ago... the world was the same as it is and players were mining like crazy like they are now.

4 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

So, what could they not predict?
The amount of ore they placed?
The amount of ore each player mined?

By how much did they fail to calculate?

PS: "Servers don't always scale linearly" What? When did the server scale? They could have calculated this 2 years ago... the world was the same as it is and players were mining like crazy like they are now.

This is my last reply to you since you are just pissy and not actually reading my response. The problem is the amount of tunnels dug out, not how much ore there is to mine. They had no way of knowing that people would have dug near the amount of tunnels they have.

Previously (before Demeter update) territory scanners provided different info depending on how deep it was placed. Will the depth of the Territory scanner being placed in Demeter update influence in anyway to the scanner results?

5 minutes ago, CMDRTaco said:

This is my last reply to you since you are just pissy and not actually reading my response. The problem is the amount of tunnels dug out, not how much ore there is to mine. They had no way of knowing that people would have dug near the amount of tunnels they have.

What changed in this 2 years that made this unpredictable? 

Could they see how much players were digging 2 years ago and calculate the what 24 months of that delta would create in the database? 

3 minutes ago, Sawafa said:

Previously (before Demeter update) territory scanners provided different info depending on how deep it was placed. Will the depth of the Territory scanner being placed in Demeter update influence in anyway to the scanner results?

Probably not, because they went with a new spherical grid. I assume this will fix altitude related issues when scanning. 

41 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

What changed in this 2 years that made this unpredictable? 

Could they see how much players were digging 2 years ago and calculate the what 24 months of that delta would create in the database? 

A tech telling a bean counter that if they made this change they could be saving X amount of data space saving X amount of money. And this is not a small figure.  

But I dont think we players should be thinking of this as a change that saves NQ money.  This is a change that is going to have a noticeable improvement in performance for us. Not only because all that old data wont have to be loaded/unloaded. but because of the way its being restructured. that will allows for easier compression, thus better performance/lower bandwidth. 

And that saved performance might come in handy later down the road when territory warfare comes in. 

5 hours ago, NQ-Sirg said:

Do you not think that players with hundreds/thousands of scans they already made will use this feature to goldrush all the best tiles in the first couple of hours?

8 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

Do you not think that players with hundreds/thousands of scans they already made will use this feature to goldrush all the best tiles in the first couple of hours?

Well if they spent all that time scanning what's the problem?

12 minutes ago, tlcjwb said:

Well if they spent all that time scanning what's the problem?

They already got value from those scans by mining out meganodes and/or selling them. Getting to double dip is kinda bullshit, especially since you cannot contest territories and this offers a permanent advantage.

I like the vlog info please keep that coming, this helps on many fronts to give players expectation management of what changes will be coming to the live server. The changes coming with this update I feel are going to be welcomed by new players for sure in the long run but may upset some older players. I for one welcome these changes as I have been playing for about 8 months and I do a mix of tasks over the course of my game play, I may mine for a bit then hunt for asteroids or build bases etc etc. 

I would welcome a talent reset as I think many would so they could re-spec into these new mining changes coming with this update. Other players may see a talent reset as a pain but over all this will benefit many players new and old. 

The tool talked about at the end is super nice as I know my few bases are underground and I have many friends that have constructs underground, thank you for thinking ahead to solve these issues with regards to that.  

We need to generate as much discussion about this prior to the update so the players and NQ can have meaningful dialogue about these changes and any issues seen or unseen can be discussed early on.  

I will say this SOMETHING MUST be done about the low number of asteroids in the SZ 12 to 19 per week and over 130+ in the PVP zone per week come on, mark my words there will and have been players quit already due to bugs, crashes, and now the looming update and the low asteroid count in the SZ will only add to that number of people that don't come back and quit all together.