Up to date DAILY player count

LeeRoyINC

1 hour ago, le_souriceau said:

Yes, this globaly going to be the case of "too little, too late". Is extreamly hard for MMO to regenerate population once momentum is lost. Its probably just several exeptions in gaming history, if any. I think breaking point was november last year, when still a lot of people were hanging around in hopes of positive changes, but got only kick in balls by 0.23 and half of year of damning silence when JC gone.

This why full (almost full) wipe is imminent as last resort "defibrillator charge", even if some representitives of current token population deeply resentful to such prospect (for obvious reason of self-preservation).

Are you expecting a wipe to attract new players here, or to attract back the ones who previously left?  The population before the 0.23 update was built up over a number of years of alpha so you'd think most people who would be interested in the game would have already been playing at that point.  So then it would be returning players who the wipe would be attracting?

@Zychov it sounds like you're still in touch with at least some of those 20-30 people.  Would any of them come back if the game wipes/relaunches?

@Zeddrick  The skill wipe would be a disaster, but I guess we are talking here only about the economic one. The economic wipe itself would surely put them off but If it would come as a price for bigger population of new players then maybe it would work. THe problem is I doubdt that wipe would bring much of a new players. 

Btw. I looked through the list of 30 offline friends and counted 8 of them who would probably get back to game if they have a reason. Half of them still has working accounts and just log in from time to time to check the skill queue. 

On 10/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, Zychov said:

They left the game for Starbase and now as the Starbase died as well they all moved to New World.

In all fairness, StarBase is a lot more viable in the long run still. Problem is many jumping from DU did not care to consider that SB is actually proper Alpha and really in an earlier, yet IMO better overal state than DU.. If the same people now jumped to New World, based on their previous action they wil lprobably just bumrush to L60 and then start crying there is no content.

Fozenbyte has a plan, they know where to go and how to get there.. They also said it would take time and are not willing to give in to pressure to speed up their process. And as far as I am concerned, that earns them points. Fair enough, like NQ did, they certainly jumped the gun in going public too early but at least they did not pretend that their game is "beta" and were pretty clear they'd need at least two years to get the game ready. Did not stop the usual suspects from expecting polish and complete features.

NewWorld is actually surprisingly good. I do not care for the PVP really. The lore and backstory is very interesting and the content is rich enough to make the game worth the price of admission several times over.

As far as DU goes, there is no denying NQ seems to be making an effort but as I see it, the core of the game is the problem in the case of DU, it is too restrictive and limited to keep servers alive. Most of what is being introduced currently seems to be bolted on instead of integrated. NQ does not (or can't) go in and fix root cause for issues they encounter, they tag on new stuff to try and cover it up.. and that .. can't end well.

Personally, I do not think the game will ever reach it's potential if NQ does not go back to the drawing board, jumps in and fixes the core issues the game has. This would both break many things and take time, but I think the result would be worth it. I do not think NQ has that time or the resources to do that. though. They seem to be pushing for a "release" at the latest Q1 2022, possibly even this December. They need to start making money, a lot of it and soon.

1 hour ago, Jake Arver said:

Personally, I do not think the game will ever reach it's potential if NQ does not go back to the drawing board, jumps in and fixes the core issues the game has. This would both break many things and take time, but I think the result would be worth it. I do not think NQ has that time or the resources to do that. though. They seem to be pushing for a "release" at the latest Q1 2022, possibly even this December. They need to start making money, a lot of it and soon.

☝️ This right here -- when JC was fired as CEO, I thought that they would get a real designer to look at the product and roadmap, but they decided to keep on keeping on as if nothing was wrong. 

There's fundamental issues with the design of this game...they greatly, greatly overreached with the concept and have so far refused to reduce scope, so the product is still missing huge features and feels incomplete and very unpolished...

Making games is hard; anyone with experience knows this. JC didn't bother working in the industry before starting the company, so he didn't know. Yet after 5 years working almost exclusively on fundamental tech like building and basic MP mechanics (not in their own engine mind you) they still somehow believed they could get all these grand features working?

Two years later and what's changed? Not the design...No apparent scope reduction at all, despite them having the experience of facing vast complexity and not meeting deadlines. They knew that this wasn't coming together years ago, but no one dared to challenge JC's "vision"? 

So the problem isn't just inexperience, it's hubris. 

Frankly....NQ had 7+ years and $22+ million in funding. I hate to be an ass, but they kind of deserve to fail. They engineered their own nightmare and refused to change course despite having ample opportunity and overwhelming evidence that the current direction was not working.

1 hour ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

There's fundamental issues with the design of this game...they greatly, greatly overreached with the concept and have so far refused to reduce scope, so the product is still missing huge features and feels incomplete and very unpolished...

The Demeter podcast really broke the mold for the game.. It shows that NQ has no way to actually fix the game and boils down to:

We have no more money

The cost of running the game is too much for us to afford

So we are going to butcher the game mechanics to cust cost

We're starting with mining

Which will now be a completely fictional mechanic, there is nothing actually in the world, it is just a mini game run on your client, we just change a number in the database.

The planet reset will be fun, the "solution" they have for digging out is a joke, it will just cut out the construct cube volume so you will end up with floating constructs .. It's a solution designed to not be used while at the same time being a "but we're here to help" excuse.

The mining unit and territory upkeep solution is a direct result of terrible game design. they are just slapping "taxes" on it. Had they built in power management like many of us suggested going back.. 4 years ago.. it would have been .. a game..

On 10/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, Jake Arver said:

The Demeter podcast really broke the mold for the game.. It shows that NQ has no way to actually fix the game and boils down to:

We have no more money

The cost of running the game is too much for us to afford

So we are going to butcher the game mechanics to cust cost

We're starting with mining

Which will now be a completely fictional mechanic, there is nothing actually in the world, it is just a mini game run on your client, we just change a number in the database.

The planet reset will be fun, the "solution" they have for digging out is a joke, it will just cut out the construct cube volume so you will end up with floating constructs .. It's a solution designed to not be used while at the same time being a "but we're here to help" excuse.

The mining unit and territory upkeep solution is a direct result of terrible game design. they are just slapping "taxes" on it. Had they built in power management like many of us suggested going back.. 4 years ago.. it would have been .. a game..

Its another missed opportunity to release a soft power management system into the game where it requires fuel etc to make it work/function etc.  I had hope with shields they would have introduced it but sadly I was wrong!  Now again nothing so I dont know and dont think there ever will be any power systems.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:17 AM, Honvik said:

I dont know and dont think there ever will be any power systems.

I would not be surprised NQ has no idea how to implement it and has never even considered building in hooks to support such feature.. Power management would work in many places and solve many problems but ifyou never account for it it's real hard to put in after the fact. It's easier to just slap taxes on everything..

On 10/25/2021 at 3:00 PM, Jake Arver said:

I would not be surprised NQ has no idea how to implement it and has never even considered building in hooks to support such feature.. Power management would work in many places and solve many problems but ifyou never account for it it's real hard to put in after the fact. It's easier to just slap taxes on everything..

Power would also allow slow but almost infinite growth, and NQ is terrified of that because they don't have the server architecture to deal with it. 0.23 for example was just a mini "demeter" to limit the hosting cost of industry.

In other words the complete opposite of the initial game premise of "unlimited" building and expansion, huge cities, spaceports etc.

I think the basic idea of DualUniverse is good, but what they are doing or want to do with it in the meantime is rather frightening. Maybe NQ should introduce itself to Amazon and ask for financial and personnel help.
There is no shame in asking for help, but evil in not doing so.

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Power would also allow slow but almost infinite growth, and NQ is terrified of that because they don't have the server architecture to deal with it. 0.23 for example was just a mini "demeter" to limit the hosting cost of industry.

I have no doubt schematics were always going to come in but yes, they were rushed following the "database rework" shortly after beta launch to control cost for NQ more than anything else. The reasoning given for them at the time was so off the cuff and made very little sense. NQ has practically just been on a cost cutting rampage since beta and they are not done. It's all about the survival of NQ and not about building a proper game anymore and has not been for a year or so now and they are not even hiding it.