APOLLO/ARES Q&A - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

Nice little Q&A and for new players it might be something

but for older ones, this is just the same Q&A as we've already seen 4 or 5 times....PR stuff, things about new stuff yadda yadda yadda

But some crucial questions weren't answered, like for instance:

2. Why are their so much graphical updates over the course of Beta Rather than actual game play?

4. Will NQ be more honest on what the games outlook is rather than watching players argue in the discord due to the lack of communication provided by the Devs?

9. If the game play doesn't exist now and you have severe bugs with this foundation how do you intend on adding new game play with that foundation?

3. Salvage wrecks seem like a complete waste of time for anyone who has moved beyond Tier 2. Can they be scaled to planets difficulty? and once their picked clean somehow respawn(maybe that's already in game)?

What is the vision for this game now, after the changes at NQ and JC not being at the forefront of things it feels as though the vision may have changed? Can you confirm or deny this and elaborate on why or why not?

Will we ever get new tools that industrialists can make and sell for players?

Why do we have a limited 2 SU radar scan range?

What is Thoramine even for?

What happened to the idea of Power? Where is it? When is it? What is it? Why is it?

How come we don’t have AvA?

What about the incentives for owning a hex? Why should I want this hex over that hex

There was an hours long video of two people building a base into an asteroid. Why is this not a thing? Why won’t it be, or will it be?

And especially #2-3 which would have been fitted nicely to the answer you gave to Aaron Cains question about the PVP pillar....

#1 What is the vision for the game?

#2 Will there be things you can do to hostile ships in PVP other than shoot at them? Electronic warfare? Tractor beams? Energy warfare? 

#3 What is the vision for PVP and why do I feel more and more forced into a 1 man per ship meta? Will M cores and smaller ever get a place in combat?

Another missed chance to adress all those long standing open topics - instead it's all PR again.

Thank you so very much for this!

I really appreciate  that you took the time to do this video and not only another dev blog. I am looking forward to the next one whenever that is possible.

Keep it up! ?

Regarding the (endless) wipe discussion. The main thing that breaks the economy and creates the slow markets is that there is no destruction: players only ever have to buy each element once, unless they do PVP. Bring back the breaking of elements for crashes and the economy becomes healthy overnight.

I would not have a problem with a wipe if this would have been clear from the start (like during Alpha). But it was heavily suggested over the last year it would not happen. If I fully loose the year of daily time investment in my factory I would probably not have the motivation to start anew.

If there is a wipe, the most active and organised groups will be the ones to profit most from it because they will recover the most quickly due to better organisation multiplying out more collective hours spent playing.  And within a few weeks everyone will be complaining that Legion won DU again ;)

2 hours ago, Emma Roid said:

Regarding the (endless) wipe discussion. The main thing that breaks the economy and creates the slow markets is that there is no destruction: players only ever have to buy each element once, unless they do PVP. Bring back the breaking of elements for crashes and the economy becomes healthy overnight.

No it won't.  The game has unlimited production capability.  So if you bring back element destruction (and it doesn't make players quit after they break their 500+element mission ship for the 3rd time due to framerate bugs causing it to crash with a tower which didn't render) then demand will go up.  Briefly the economy will work.  People will then produce more (a lot of people have a lot of factories turned off right now due to low demand).  Supply will increase again until it is just above demand and we will be back where we are now again.  And people will be saying the problem is that there isn't enough consumption.

With the ongoing discussion surround a wipe it certainly demotivates me to continue.  I play solo and the thought of losing all I have built doesn't sit well with me.  I started on beta launch much like many others and I only started as the topic of discussion back then was the final wipe had been done.  I could live with a partial wipe though I have no idea what that could consist of.  But if a full wipe were on the cards for release I don't think I would have the energy to start all over again.

I apologize this is going to be kinda long so strap into the command seat for the ride. So I did watch the Q&A yesterday and found it both refreshing and interesting on several fronts, the refreshing part is that NQ seems to be getting back to what I had only heard they use to do by interacting with the community in this fashion more often. I think we all in this community hope they keep these types of video interaction or at least this type of format coming in the near to long term future. The first interesting thing I saw was that so few people tuned into the Q&A when I looked up and saw only six views about half way through was very surprised. The second surprise was how few questions were either submitted or answered, I have a feeling that with all that has gone on since the last two updates there are a lot more questions than what was submitted or read. Also to note some of the questions had already been answered by a fix that was implemented shortly after the patch was released. The third and maybe the most surprising is how few comments are here after the Q&A, I have read them all and given myself some time to digest what others have said in order to make some comments and share my point of view on the topics discussed. Let me start off by saying I have only been in the space (haha) for about 7 to 8 months, as such I have not been here as long as some others that have been in this game from the beginning, that is not to say that I have not noticed a great deal since only being here for a short time. Some of the questions in the feedback from the Q&A are good and deserve an answer for sure, Lethys brings forth some great points. For example:

4. Will NQ be more honest on what the games outlook is rather than watching players argue in the discord due to the lack of communication provided by the Devs?  

This is a great question every time I go to the discord it’s the same hmm let me be nice umm people yeah saying the same stuff or as they said arguing about this or that. Also not helpful at all I as many others have turned to discord looking for help only to find smart comments, again not helpful.

3. Salvage wrecks seem like a complete waste of time for anyone who has moved beyond Tier 2. Can they be scaled to planets difficulty? and once their picked clean somehow respawn(maybe that's already in game)?

I will say this about Salvage wrecks I have yet to see the first one I have heard they exist but yeah.

#3 What is the vision for PVP and why do I feel more and more forced into a 1 man per ship meta? Will M cores and smaller ever get a place in combat?

Addressing all PVP and after talking with many people in the game NO one WANTS to be FORCED to PVP if it happens as a result of players wandering off to hunt asteroids or slowboating large cargo from planet to planet then so be it.

Finally in regards to the wipe topic again I do not have as much time accumulated in the game as others; however I am a one game kinda guy so I do have several hours of playing this game under the belt so to speak. On this I can see both sides and NQ’s position as well. I can see why some would be upset for this to happen and why some would see it as a welcome opportunity to start over fresh. All I can see for this is if it is done right and with advanced notice it can accommodate all players without turning the community on its head.  

Also something I have asked and had hoped to see in this Q&A was about asteroids and how come so few spawn in the safe zone as opposed to the PVP zone? Last week there were 12 to fight over in the SZ and this week only 17 while the PVP area had some 196 and honestly not sure about this week but I will be tracking it and making a spreadsheet to do so. Once again we are back to the forced PVP scenario/argument no one wants to be FORCED to do ANYTHING let alone PVP against overwhelming odds (Legion), as mentioned in the Q&A regarding the economy its inflated at the moment and as such no one wants to lose a ship to PVP as it would take time to get those resources back. This needs to be addressed and may even help the economy a bit in the short to long term. Also another point is that it would be nice to occasionally have an advanced asteroid spawn in the SZ just a thought.