Where Are The Cities? - ( Static Blueprint Placement is Broken )

Megabosslord

4 minutes ago, Physics said:

I’m actually curious, apart from what is already quoted and bugs what is desperately needed for building before release? Anything game breaking missing? Maybe an empty construct option for that last ghost voxel when dismantling?

Relatively little or much is missing to build. In which direction should the game develop, which types of players should it attract and keep?
One could add a huge housing content, starting with tableware, many models of tables, chairs, beds, toys, kitchen furniture, cushions, pictures and entire picture collections, soft toys, and much more.
This could in turn be integrated into the achievement system, collect all beds, collect all soft toys.....
There are still more decorative items missing, more bushes, trees, flowers, rice plants, corn plants, etc. to grow, you could start with seeds, herbs or bulbs, pick them, harvest them, grow them, harvest them....you could then make food/drink or energy boosters for your equipment and of course integrate them into the achievement system here too.

There is also a lack of interesting things that can be moved, wind turbines, solar panels, hydroelectric power plants, pumps, etc. could be easily integrated into the energy system and expanded at will.

But let's cut a long story short:
What direction and how much content do we want? Should it go more in the direction of Sims or SimCity? Or should it be more in the direction of WoW with dungeons and raids to fight big alien monsters from planets? Maybe we'll build futuristic castles and cities like in NewWorld and fight for territories or add thousands of quests.
We could also build gigantic space portals as a community and use them to travel to other solar systems - this could be promoted with huge amounts of materials that are needed for the construction and are then unlocked. What then awaits us in the new solar system? Dead and empty planets with ore deposits again? Could we cut down the trees, gather herbs, draw water,....?

The possibilities that a game could offer are almost infinite, it is only the creativity that is lacking, the players who need their limits, as they are otherwise seemingly overwhelmed, and of course the performance to implement gigantic player projects. Why do I as a player have to choose between WoW, Gw2, Aion, ArcheAge, SimCity, Minecraft, Dualuniverse,.... when you could combine the best of all games in one?

I doubt very much that DualUniverse will be a success with empty, dead planets, bare moons and asteroids popping up. Ah right, the PvP won't blow anyone away as the PvEers stay in the savezone and the PvPers switch back to EveOnline or buy Starcitizen or Starbase. So, will it just be a niche product for very specific customers?

So in terms of actual building development time we need to put it back up the list so we have can have more beds, cupboards and a kettle? Yeh building can wait.

PVP is by far in most need of attention, followed by economy > Exploration > social > RPG > building.

47 minutes ago, Physics said:

PVP is by far in most need of attention, followed by economy > Exploration > social > RPG > building.

PvP needs attention, of course. However, the entire game or any content still needs a lot of attention. In the first place, however, the general performances should take the most important role. What's the point of PvP if you can't play battles bug-free or lag-free? The basic framework should be built up properly and then the content added and revised. There are still so many construction sites and gaps at the moment...it will take years before the game is ready for release.

Combat in this game is really esoteric...even if they can make it lag-free, I don't know that combat will ever really appeal to 8 out of 10 space nerds. 

The game desperately needs combat, 100%, but unless they completely scrap the current metaphor, I'm not sure it will ever really "get there". 

Let's remember this is combat at its lowest scale, too -- and even then is still often laggy.

A huge part of the pitch of DU was single-shard...and they can't support cities, they obviously can't support large battles....so why not instance the game, again? As I see it, there's zero point to "single shard" with their actual execution. 

At least if they instanced it, they could throw all the "i only want to build" people into a PvE server and eliminate a lot of headaches related to first-time UX. 

20 minutes ago, ShippyLongstalking said:

Combat in this game is really esoteric...even if they can make it lag-free, I don't know that combat will ever really appeal to 8 out of 10 space nerds. 

The game desperately needs combat, 100%, but unless they completely scrap the current metaphor, I'm not sure it will ever really "get there". 

Let's remember this is combat at its lowest scale, too -- and even then is still often laggy.

A huge part of the pitch of DU was single-shard...and they can't support cities, they obviously can't support large battles....so why not instance the game, again? As I see it, there's zero point to "single shard" with their actual execution. 

At least if they instanced it, they could throw all the "i only want to build" people into a PvE server and eliminate a lot of headaches related to first-time UX. 

What do they always have against Singleshard? It is a new technology that is currently being tested and still needs to be worked on. We will see whether it works or not, but it still needs further progress in technology. There are enough developers who simply copy the standards and don't think beyond their own horizons. But we want to develop further as a society and not stand still.
Here I would rather wish that NQ would talk more openly about what is currently failing and how it could be supported in a meaningful way. Burying your head in the sand doesn't help anyone.

12 hours ago, Habitant said:

beta =it is still a baby , let it grow :D

How long until "beta" isn't an excuse? It's been 7+ years of development...on an IP that hasn't created its own engine, server infrastructure, or even billing system...This isn't a baby or a toddler, it's a 2nd-grader. 

It isn't like they have some plan to fix the fundamental issues with some of this tech or this design.

I would understand the "it is only beta" claim if they did, but many of the issues facing DU aren't "part of the plan" where the only issue is that the devs haven't had enough time...they have had enough time. 

Don't get me wrong...I see how the product is improving, but will it be fast enough and dramatic enough? Will the game actually perform at scale? Will it be anything close to the game they advertise? I'm not convinced based on their track record and current state of the product. 

36 minutes ago, kulkija said:

Source?

The track record is easy enough to see in the years and years of history in this forum. NQ as a studio has no experience beyond DU. 

The most obvious issue with their track record is spending 7+ years on a product (as a new studio) that is still not feature complete....and doesn't seem close to being feature complete.

That makes DU an alpha, and 7+ years on an alpha when you aren't even making your own engine or server architecture isn't good for this industry. 

Beyond the state of the product after a long, long time in dev....the forum history shows how bad NQ is at communicating with their customers. People have been speculating about how PvP will work for years and years because NQ either doesn't have a plan or doesn't bother to explain it. No one believes for a second that they listen to player feedback, even when players have called out obvious problems with changes before they go out. 

They have notorious slow support, glacial dev pace, and have made many 'knee-jerk' design choices that make it obvious that they don't really have a grand design, they are changing it as they go. That's not a good sign for most complex games, but especially for an MMO.

They hired Eve Online's former designer but he left after less than a year...this is someone that typically spends 5+ years at a company. NQ was his shortest job in the last 10+ years...plus the CEO being fired...there's some internal turnover issues that are significant.

I see improvement in these last few months, don't get me wrong...I just don't believe it is fast enough or dramatic enough to turn the product around...to do that, I think they need more dramatic changes instead of more or less following the plan that JC wildly constructed without much planning and with objectively zero experience.