Largest moving space ship - how many cores combined?

realMod

Well, some of us are proposing alot of possibilities for years already but well, nothing changes on new years day, or in DU for all that matters. So at this moment the L core is largest. There is no merging or anything else to make the ship larger. Its not like space engineers where i have a 2 km ship performing perfectly, in Du you have to do with the largest core available and although there are larger cores developend they took them out of DU long time ago and we remain with this little L core that is barely large enough to build an imperial shuttle. On the other hand, the initial idea that loads of people would be needed or would find it fun to fly a single ship was proven unsuccesfull and thus all larger ships apparently are flying solo or only with a small crew.

5 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

There is no merging or anything else to make the ship larger.

Unless something changed with the last update, we've always been able to dock multiple cores together to build larger ships.  

The real limitation on ship size is elements.  You can only use so many of them before it starts to affect performance.  So until NQ gives us larger more powerful elements, there's not much point in building larger ships.

But you can.

I haven't done any testing on this myself so i'm just going by what i've heard.  But i think it affects the game's performance for anyone near the ship.

When a ship has a few hundred engines or adjusters all firing at the same time, all those visual effects at once can't be good for performance.  But it would be easy enough for NQ to give us an option to turn those effects off, so there is probably more to it then that.

I think the ability to dock cores together to make larger ships is a bit like element stacking.  NQ is letting us do it for now, to see how it affects the game.  But i wouldn't expect it to work like that forever.  It's not giving anyone an unfair advantage, so i wouldn't expect a big crackdown from NQ, but they might change how docking works in the future so it's not possible anymore.