Apollo & Ares - Question Thread

NQ-Deckard

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

I get stuck half the time on the black "Dual Universe" screen when trying to login. The one that appears before the concept art slides and moronic quotes that you get while loading. It just stops there and nothing happens until I force kill the client.

1 hour ago, Grubby said:

After this patch, the game freeze periodically. Freezes at intro screen, 

If you encounter a crash at the DU splash screen after hitting 'log in' but don't reach the loading screen, clearing your shader cache (and voxel cache, just use the in-game drop down menu in the upper right) might resolve the issue.

win+r
%localappdata%\NQ\DualUniverse

cut shader_d3d11.cache and stick it to your desktop so its no longer in the DualUniverse folder.

If you hit the loading screen, please send a copy of your shader cache to NQ via support ticket.

Why is there such a massive difference in 'Unboarding distance' between on planet and on a space-station. On planet I seem to be unboarded as soon as I leave the physical bounds of the construct voxelwork, but in space it can be almost a full core width away before I am unboarded - example images attached.

This can make manoeuvring the construct people just left extremely difficult on a space-station, especially for L-core constructs.

Image 1 - point at which I am unboarded on planet

Image 2 - point at which I am unboarded on a space-station

Unboarding distance 7 - Planet unboarded point.jpg

Unboarding distance 6 - Spacestation unboarded point.jpg

3 hours ago, Bobbie said:

I get stuck half the time on the black "Dual Universe" screen when trying to login. The one that appears before the concept art slides and moronic quotes that you get while loading. It just stops there and nothing happens until I force kill the client.

Try to disable any background applications when starting up DU like Nvidia overlay for example @Bobbie

1 hour ago, Dracostan said:

Why is there such a massive difference in 'Unboarding distance' between on planet and on a space-station. On planet I seem to be unboarded as soon as I leave the physical bounds of the construct voxelwork, but in space it can be almost a full core width away before I am unboarded - example images attached.

This can make manoeuvring the construct people just left extremely difficult on a space-station, especially for L-core constructs.

Image 1 - point at which I am unboarded on planet

Image 2 - point at which I am unboarded on a space-station

Unboarding distance 7 - Planet unboarded point.jpg

Unboarding distance 6 - Spacestation unboarded point.jpg

For L cores, get 70+m away from the construct, right-click the construct, and unboard the construct. Then you can maneuver fine.

1a. It would be really nice if their was some sort of core connecting option. We see all these Big buildings that I'm sure are a pain to align cores with.

1b. Also it would be cool if you could do that with ship cores to allow more interesting designs, perhaps some sort of connector item that becomes the core instead(maybe this could be worked into the power system update)?

2. Why does the Repair unit not actually repair broken elements?

3. Salvage wrecks seem like a complete waste of time for anyone who has moved beyond Tier 2. Can they be scaled to planets difficulty? and once their picked clean somehow respawn(maybe that's already in game)?

4. Territory scanners seem a little low tech. Can we get a more efficient way to store scans that don't require transfer scans back and fourth to your inventory to work(its currently broken and you HAVE to bring it back to your main inventory for the scans to work correctly)? Maybe like some sort of Database item?

Hello,

why for the LUA in the release notes has not been mentioned that the list coming out from the warp unit has been changed and the previous .errorMsg now becomes .textStatus?

I expect any change in the code will be mentioned so that we can update our scripts.

Also this update it seems to have problems, I get a lot of game freezing that end up in closing the game mostly when activating a Programming Board or when activating a control unit. To me it was unplayable and only got problems because as consequence the control unit I was using when this happened later on it was not usable since "Already in use"

20 hours ago, yamamushi said:

I'm not a fan whatsoever of removing nonconsensual boarding altogether, and I hope that is taken into consideration later if/when avatar combat becomes a thing.

Not only because Boarding a ship to take it over was something featured in the Devblog way back in 2015:  

But because boarding ships to take them over has been a thing since, well, ever. 

Now a whole avenue of gameplay has been removed to address something that wasn't really a problem before. What we should have gotten instead is a way to see who is on our construct, and remove them if they are logged out. 

Battles between ships take place at a distance of ~2su - how could you jump from ship to ship at this distance? That would only work if the other ship had lost its propulsion and you could approach it, but at the moment that would almost mean a completely destroyed ship.

What is the vision for this game now, after the changes at NQ and JC not being at the forefront of things it feels as though the vision may have changed? Can you confirm or deny this and elaborate on why or why not?

Will we ever get new tools that industrialists can make and sell for players?

Why do we have a limited 2 SU radar scan range? This is too limiting it should be increased 10-fold and then introduce jamming capabilities. I’ve suggested before that the navigator chair that currently does nothing should have a UI (and let me be clear this should be an interactive UI with gameplay mechanics) that allows the navigator to jam radar, provide interdiction capabilities and even scan a ship for additional information. Another level of immersion, another profession.

Why does the size of guns limit the range? The range should not be limited by the size but only the tier and type of weapon. This would alleviate the problems with L core L Weapons immediately. The size of the weapons should be about damage, reload, tracking, rate of fire etc. and the range should be based on the tier of the weapon. This allows the M Core underdog with medium lasers the ability to fight with a L Core ship with L Lasers instead of the L Core simply sitting at range and the M core has no means of firing back until they have taken immense damage before even being able to fire back. Yes, there should be damage falloff, but close the range gap. Increase the ammo types’ ability for increasing range so that the gap between the other weapons is decreased. Even if every weapon could reach out to the same range the damage at those ranges will vary wildly – that is a good thing.. This introduces skill and getting at least a hit on someone to keep them from jumping so that the underdog can try to swarm that exotic wielding L Core with a couple S cores. As currently any L Core with L Weapons and max talents could be all reward and no risk. 

What about Gems? What can you tell us about them, what will they likely be used for?

What is Thoramine even for? There was this big event over it and for a brief period there was some hype around it. and now ZERO. nothing. no mention no harkening back to it. nothing. what was the point? If the only point was the prize at the end of a puzzle NQ thought would take longer for us to solve – got it but either way still a letdown. Especially because it continues to show on the scan tool but there’s nothing to do with it.

What happened to the idea of Power? Where is it? When is it? What is it? Why is it?

Can we expect to get different types of shields, different colors for different types? Plasma Shields, Ray shielding whatever sci fi terms we want to use to differentiate shields that are more niche but bring some fun gameplay about. I don’t just mean uncommon, advanced, exotic and rare, that’s great and all but give us varying types that are immersive and induce maybe a little lore. Let us find some alien tech and we can start creating these newfound alien shields and start selling on the market.

What happened to the pillars of the game?  It seems as though the focus has become much more narrowed and shallower at that.

How come we don’t have AvA? This is a fundamental part of the game as it was originally conveyed. AvA allows you to protect yourself from being boarded or having a ship stolen etc. etc. We would not require these boarding permissions; my gun is my boarding permission. Your gun is yours. Let’s see who wins – oh wait you shot me and stole my ship in safe space, you now have an automatic enormous bounty on your head. If it happened in the PvP areas, then when I respawn, I can put a bounty on your head, and this creates more content. The Bounty Hunter could be told who the original owner was, and they could even return the ship should they choose – will you allow us this level of gameplay ever?

What about the incentives for owning a hex? Why should I want this hex over that hex – resources aren’t a reason. There should be more of a reason. Once the resources are gone, there is no longer a reason so that is not good enough. What will be the incentive when territory warfare comes? Does locating a factory near the water increase productivity when some element is placed near my base that requires a body of water near it to produce reduction in heat that helps the factory operate better or what? Give us something that immerses us more!

I remember watching you tube videos of this game before I ever bought in. NQ Dual Universe YouTube back when things were in Alpha. There was an hours long video of two people building a base into an asteroid. Why is this not a thing? Why won’t it be, or will it be?

When will we get Exotic Engines?

Will we ever get hybrid space/atmo engines and brakes?

Will we ever be able to research technology to allow us to create schematics that let us create new and exciting elements like the hybrid space/atmo elements mentioned above or new tools for the character, a better jetpack or whatever?

Will we ever get different style canopies that also allow 3rd person?

Will we ever be able to go above 30k without warping? Why can’t we get a Super Cruise speed that has its pros and cons that allows us to travel somewhere between 30k and warp?

Why can I create things out of thin air in my nano pack but a laser drill for my ship is out of the question and we’re stuck hand mining? This doesn’t make sense. It feels very arbitrary.

When are you going to show the player base that you can be creative and develop immersive gameplay mechanics that will provide fun and engaging content? What’s to keep us here? Why should we continue to hold out hope, can you give us some hope? Please.

#1 What is the vision for the game?

#2 Will there be things you can do to hostile ships in PVP other than shoot at them? Electronic warfare? Tractor beams? Energy warfare? 

#3 What is the vision for PVP and why do I feel more and more forced into a 1 man per ship meta? Will M cores and smaller ever get a place in combat?

#1  Why did JC step down quietly without a word and we had to find out after the fact from 3rd party websites that there was a new CEO... who also still hasn't said a word in 6 months?

#2a  What is the long term plan for making the game viable and attractive to a playerbase large enough to sustain itself?

#2b  For those of us who see no value in the current state of the game, what is there to look forward to that could substantially change this, if anything?

#2c  What cause is there to be optimistic for the future of the game?

Are link limitations a design choice or a limitation of the engine? Looking specifically at Dispensers, where only 1 dispenser can be hooked up per hub. For player run shops this creates a TON of headache since you need a container hub per dispenser. If this is not a limitation of the engine, could we possible see higher tier container hubs that allow additional links? Being able to link 10 dispensers to 1 container hub would be a godsend. 

How do the devs justify the current nonsensical DSAT asteroid broadcast mechanic fitting in with DU's theme of emergent gameplay?

Emergent gameplay would result from two (or more) parties that happen to scout the same asteroid at around the same time finding each other by pure chance since there are many asteroids to choose from, and not from a forced conflict brought about by broadcasting the location of an asteroid soon after anyone finds it.

If you tell people interested in pvp where to always find pvp, they will always go to there to engage in it. It's lazy, and not emergent gameplay. On the other hand if two parties happen to find the same asteroid by chance anything can happen. Maybe they decide to fight each other. Maybe they decide to mine ore together. Maybe they agree to mine ore together peacefully, but one of the parties decides to secretly call in reinforcements to take out the first party. That's emergent gameplay, but scenarios like those are never going to happen if asteroid locations are being broadcast to everyone.

Edited by ArtVandelay
clarification and examples

Perhaps discovering an asteroid should have a timer and a timeout?  Once the process has started you need to discover the said round within the hour?  Currently people can track to final point, wait for someone to discover and pounce therefore circumventing your system for the broadcast timer.

Just a tought!

On 9/22/2021 at 3:23 PM, NEWMidgetMAN said:

6. Why ban over bugs in game created by the games DEVS during what is supposed to be a test period?

7. Why ban over talking about the bug in general? How else are you going to find out how to fix during the test period? Very counter productive.
Banning should only be done during release. 

6. In Alpha I would completely agree with this. However since the decision to not wipe if possible at release was made NQ is no longer in the position to be lenient to bug abusers. They have tied their own hands since any ill gotten gains from exploits / bugs on the production server will now transfer to the live release. 

7. Any talk about bug / exploits found on production server is obviously a big no no since gossip will always hit the ears of people that will gain malicious intent from obtaining the knowledge of them. 

Talking about bugs / exploits on PTS and is confirmed not to work on production server build would be a personal moral minefield as you would be taking a chance that the info definitely does not lead to loop hole abuse on the production server.

It is always best to contact NQ directly if a bug/exploit is found and the most important part when doing so is to clearly lay out the step by step process to reproduce the bug/exploit found so it can be identified quickly and squashed before any damage is done.

We created a vlog to answer some of the questions from this thread. We would appreciate your feedback to let us know if you like the vlog format or if you prefer written articles. Jump over to this thread to let us know. 

Locking this thread now as we are no longer gathering questions for the Q&A.