Apollo & Ares - Question Thread

NQ-Deckard

1. Are you going to be replacing ships that are lost from "unbalanced" ships?  If so, what is the claims process for that?

2.  Are you going to educate players on how they can identify unbalanced ships, particularly after a ship has destroyed theirs?  If so, when and where will that guidance be posted?

3. What is the proper reporting process for a player that believes an unbalanced ship has attacked them?

4.  What tools does NQ have at its disposal to identify unbalanced ships, aside from player reports?

I would like to know what this actually means. I can't find no settings in menu's or that Alt-T toggles anything else than dock/undock. No default setting for which mode I want to use.

Thanks to your feedback, we’ve revisited our plans and made some additional adjustments based on your input. The introduction of two alternative docking modes to complement the existing default “manual” mode.

To change your docking mode preference, you will need to reset it in the context menu action on the targeted new parent construct or by using the new shortcut to switch active docking to the closest docking candidate. 

The "Automatic'’ mode will automatically dock you to the closest ship for which you have docking rights.
''Automatic (owner)'' will do the same if the ship is owned by the same entity as the pilot. 

The docking widget is changing to display these changes.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:09 AM, NQ-Deckard said:

Hello Noveans!

We invite you to pose questions about the Apollo (0.26.2) and Ares (0.26.12) updates in this thread. We’ll answer what we can in an upcoming, postmortem-ish Q&A.

Thank you all for your support!

What was the problem you where trying to solve with the CSS mechanic?

Do you think CSS will discourage builders from using voxels on their pvp ships?

Thanks

Why are the docking areas so massive? I cant even leave one docked construct on a station to lock it in place because I'm "on a dynamic construct" My ships will just float away. Your "solution" seems to have fixed nothing and made things worse.

1. When will we actually see a player count?

2. Why are their so much graphical updates over the course of Beta Rather than actual game play?

3. When will the players who do pay a monthly have their voice heard over the huge amount of crashes?

4. Will NQ be more honest on what the games outlook is rather than watching players argue in the discord due to the lack of communication provided by the Devs?

5. When will decide that the game needs a fresh start and the engine redone so it don't crash on so many people?

6. Why ban over bugs in game created by the games DEVS during what is supposed to be a test period?

7. Why ban over talking about the bug in general? How else are you going to find out how to fix during the test period? Very counter productive.
Banning should only be done during release. Otherwise you kill off your players who would promote your game........... Literally

8. Why did the Devs focus on game play based around work (Farming) rather than fun such as AVA?

9. If the game play doesn't exist now and you have severe bugs with this foundation how do you intend on adding new game play with that foundation?

10. Will you ever answer any of these?

Sincerely "An Alpha Player who wanted a 3rd person view for Cockpit"

Why did you decide on the current docking mechanisms where you can seamlessly fly in and out of the area, without an optional lock into the docking area for constructs? With such a lock, leaving the docking area would become explicit, allowing some on-the-move shenanigans that are not possible now or before.

1: Is there a back end reason asteroids are only on a Saturday spawn time? Why not passive spawning and removal of asteroids as they are disturbed? 

2. CSS and shields has lead to a new Meta of only low profile voxel or literally no voxel at all L core ships, this is very disappointing to see. Can we expect further work on balancing?

3. Does NQ have any plans to make XS-M cores viable for pvp and a purpose for fully built out L cores?

4. Aside from Planet warfare will we see any kind of environmental factors in space? Nebula’s? Singularities? Asteroid fields? Planet rings? Other possible ideas?

5. Can we get an option to show the Obstruction zones from elements during build mode?

6. Line of sight when!? Would be fun trying to play a slower pace game of cat and mouse around an asteroid etc and more stuff in the future.

7. Could asteroids be revisited in the future? Sorry but the current DSAT system is just unpopular and not the greatest idea.

52 minutes ago, Koffye said:

Are the GM stopping copy & paste cored ships and giving it to enemy hands, because of "cheat" claims?

You guys just cant stop kicking that same dead horse, even after GM said was an exploit. No ones going to show you proof, as its against the rules to show screens shots of discussions between yourselves and GMs. 

Is there any news on the topic of unlimited org creating?

And wil there be in the future something to clean up tiles and ships from player that are non-active for like a couple of months and have no active subscription or beta key?

(Solution for this send a mail with warning couple of times. Then abandoned it)

When will the auto mine release is that any time soon or will that be over a couple of months.

And can the astroids maybe spawn the whole  week and give and timer when they disappear so the same as now but then the whole week fresh astroids.

IS NQ goin to fix the constant crashes caused by the update?  Going into market, Looking at inventory constant crash for me.

CSS yes has brought a new dynamic but once again ill thought out.  For PVP your looking at smaller voxel ships (Save Quanta) as bigger means little.  So still no need for multi-gun ships.  At least previously when totally outnumbered you had a 50% chance to escape even hitting the voxels.

Are you looking to revise more the viability of radar.  Ranges so weak for lower cores so forced to go L.  Need wider range to even give basic info like X ship is nearby etc.  Scaled up to more info when closer to lock range.

Where are autominers economy needs that passive ore for building.

Where are player shops? 

Org tax, More Org ranks (to reduce theft)

Being able to automatically and forcibly repel boarders and constructs kills any future AvA on constructs, such as boarding and taking over another construct after killing all the avatars.

Does NQ have any intention of allowing hand to hand combat on constructs?

This would obviously have to be accompanied with a rebalance of the docking mechanic, I'm not asking for details just a simple yes or no. FYI I personally know of a lot of people who are not playing anymore that would return if this gameplay would be added.....

I'm not a fan whatsoever of removing nonconsensual boarding altogether, and I hope that is taken into consideration later if/when avatar combat becomes a thing.

Not only because Boarding a ship to take it over was something featured in the Devblog way back in 2015:  

Now, imagine combats. Besides the specialized weapons allocation to various crew members, the fact that the ship is a real object and not some formal 3D image allows for incredible things: partial structural damage that must be repaired (crew members racing to fix this broken hull – FTL anyone?), but also even more exciting is the possibility to board another ship after having cracked open its hull. In my opinion, from an emergent/strategic point of view this is a very interesting alternative to the classical way of completely destroying any enemy ship during combat: instead, board it and take control! Note that we don’t know yet how much of this will be playable in the alpha or beta stage, but it will definitely be something we will support in the long term.

But because boarding ships to take them over has been a thing since, well, ever. 

Now a whole avenue of gameplay has been removed to address something that wasn't really a problem before. What we should have gotten instead is a way to see who is on our construct, and remove them if they are logged out. 

I'm ok with the current mechanic of being able to remove unwanted players. It's too easy for them to plant a spy on a ship and use that to target you. I truly believe its crippled their mission running gameplay. BUT all that being said, I believe the true solution would be proper AvA on Constructs, and maybe even anti personal "turrets" of some kind. Something to provide a risk for onboarding players. I really hope NQ hasn't given up on this......

15 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

Not only because Boarding a ship to take it over was something featured in the Devblog way back in 2015:  

But because boarding ships to take them over has been a thing since, well, ever. 

3 hours ago, CyberDay said:

You guys just cant stop kicking that same dead horse, even after GM said was an exploit. No ones going to show you proof, as its against the rules to show screens shots of discussions between yourselves and GMs. 

Believe what you want. There was no exploit.

The management / dev team is NOT learning from the past. Whenever you introduce functionality and then afterwards take it away without compensation, you are creating frustration. That is a simple rule in psychology ( like introduce a nice sweet lolly to a little kid and see what happens when you try to take it away ). 

So after patch 0.23 that pissed off many industry players, a way to create automated industry with less transfer units was introduced as valid game play.

For unknown reasons, this gameplay seems to be undesired now, and the sweet lolly is gone. 

The reaction ? As I player I take only a certain amount of kicks in the ass from the dev team.

Sorry I am no more bowing to you , waiting for the next kick.

Uninstall. Sub Renewal canceled.

Playing New World anyway now.

Beta was good fun.

CU DU.

3 hours ago, yamamushi said:

I'm not a fan whatsoever of removing nonconsensual boarding altogether, and I hope that is taken into consideration later if/when avatar combat becomes a thing.

Now a whole avenue of gameplay has been removed to address something that wasn't really a problem before. What we should have gotten instead is a way to see who is on our construct, and remove them if they are logged out. 

The whole repel mechanic Must be disabled when entered in to contested territory. Anything less would be an insult. Now if that is not the case already it should not take much effort to write it in. Also when we getting harpoons?