Download speed issues / stream in of new locations slow (in the minutes until final loading has commenced)

realMod

I am running a 32 MBit internet connection.

VRing into new places (= no cached content) it takes me about 5 minutes given the complexity of the location until all the content has streamed in.

In Windows Task Manager I can see that my network througput is maxed out during these 5 minutes.

This cannot be normal - or is it?

That is one of the reasons why I am trying GeForce Now to get stable with my setup - utilizing this services better internet connection.

However NQ - will there be a plan to have that streaming in of content become more efficient in the near future?

On 9/20/2021 at 8:28 PM, realMod said:

That is one of the reasons why I am trying GeForce Now to get stable with my setup - utilizing this services better internet connection.

However NQ - will there be a plan to have that streaming in of content become more efficient in the near future?

We are far from doing anything "efficient". Let's first get to "stable" then to "feature-complete" and only then do that part.

On 9/19/2021 at 11:08 PM, realMod said:

I am running a 32 MBit internet connection.

VRing into new palces (= no cached content) it takes me about 5 minutes given the complexity of the location until all the content has streamed in.

In Windows Task Manager I can see that my network througput is maxed out during these 5 minutes.

This cannot be normal - or is it?

It is normal on internet connection as slow as yours is. Even with the compression NQ implemented a while back the data stream can easily exceed 5x what your maximum downstream is. 

Since all world data is streamed, there is no way around this.  Even on VDSL connection, with the type of game such as DU, is not a pleasant experience unless you're either on cable or fiber.  For that same reason DU aslo needs NVME SSD for optimal experience. 

It not even a question of how good or bad NQ implementation is, the data structures are too dense for that type of connection.  Another aspect affecting this is your CPUs AVX2 performance.  Running DU on anything older than skylake (or equivalent) is a fool's errand that will be source of frustration, rather than joy.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, realMod said:

Geforce Now can make the issue worse, as it doesnt save any of your previous cache, so each time you start the game your cache is empty

Hello all,

thank's for your ideas and tips - VPN is an interesting thought, however since my original internet connection is being used 100% I do not see any benefit in trying the VPN approach. Ping might be another issues.

In the end using GF Now is a far faster experience for my situation - yes, I am aware that the caches need to be utilized, however for my short durations of gameplay this is still faster then waiting said 5 Minutes until everthing has been loaded with my original internet connection at each new location.

Currently I am using VR a lot to visit different places, so the GF Now internet speed improvements are immense.

Even re-visiting places without GF Now usage will still see a slow stream in of the objects - this is what is annoying.