Jank to Just - An NQ event idea

DarkHorizon

Calling all NQ, calling all NQ. We got a five alarm fire, the community is on fire. There are children in there, I say again, there are children in there!!!1

TLDR at the bottom.

While this is probably better for the idea box, this is less to do with mechanics and stuff and more an event for the very very near future.

As I'm sure many already know, stacked elements are set to be disallowed by NovaQuark following the upcoming Ares update once it hits the live server. We don't yet have a date established for this and people are in a bit of an uproar right now. This anger stems from a couple issues that I've garnered from reading a recent topic on the subject:

• People have purchased ships from others not knowing or fully knowing there is jank.
  • Janked elements aren't / are fully visible. Be an elements elevation slightly raised or lowered, rotated, or elements stacked inside another so it only looks like there's a single element when there are in fact multiple.
  • NQ will delete entire ships that break this rule without compensation.
  • Some players are allegedly already running around searching for targets. No, I don't think they're doing it in hopes of salvage.

I doubt NQ will be able to develop a tool in time that detects elements that break this rule, we also might not have a lot of time to work with so some quick action needs to be taken. For the purposes of preventing a spate of bad PR that NQ could do without and is probably easily avoidable, reduce the load of support tickets (discord suggests tickets are already being filed), engage the community, and create a positive dev-player experience, I suggest the following:

A week long Jank to Just event, or something witty, you can probably come up with something better than that.

Basically NQ can declare a region where the event will be held. Having it in an open, rolling, grassy environment (in space might not be a good idea in-case of accidental parenting) away from player built areas would be best, but if you want to set up a couple large static cores to give us all a flat surface then go ahead. Players can easily make an event out of this themselves and build a nice looking event plaza sort of like at a ship expo, just remember to get NQ involved and aware!

Players will be encouraged to park ships that they think are jank and leave them behind for NQ to investigate. Ship creators and sellers will also be encouraged to participate with their own inventories unless they already have a showroom with multiple (I'd argue at least five or six medium or smaller) constructs.

The objective is to consolidate as much of the problem as possible. While NQ has their god tools to zip around, if players just parked everything they thought was a problem in one location, a game dev could quickly determine on their own time if a ship is safe or not before moving onto the next one. This might require construct names to be edited in-game by the GMs so they can keep track (say 'shipxyznameNQgood' or 'shipxyznameNQbad'), but players can easily revert this to their old name when they return to pick up their construct. The name will show up in their construct list so notifications don't need to be sent out manually to each player letting them know. 

If a fairly popular ship keeps coming up, then NQ could announce to the community that this particular ship is not in line with the rules with the occasional update here in the forums and discord.

If ship sellers are participating, then this also makes for a great location to meet up and resolve your customers problems and even build some community reputation while you're at it. Of course, it would be up to the customer to remain attentive to scammers that could facilitate a construct swap where you think that you're given a ship that falls within the new rules, only for it to magically get deleted later because it didn't.

I hope this at least gives NQ an idea of how to make something good out of what could wind up a bad situation. 

TLDR: NQ should host a ship expo like event where players bring suspected janky ships to NQ in-game so they can check yes or no on if their ship could be deleted following the Ares update.

Why go there if:

1) Every creator will open a ticket for each of their ship to be checked "for verification"

2) Every player will open 2-3 tickets for his own version of <insert the name of the ship from some movie> and other ships they built. "Just to be sure".

3) All pvp orgs will open a dozen of tickets for each of their opposing org ships to be validated before they dismantle their own jank.

4) Everyone and his grandma will open tickets to check Legion ships as some of them are known to have "weird environmental effects".

You can still use jank, you just dismantle the ship after the fight and before it gets deleted then rebuild from BP.... You do it anyway after a fight to replace the damaged stuff.

19 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Just illustrates how pointless and naive it is for NQ to try and police game play "one construct at a time", not even having the actual in-game rules or features necessary for what they want.

It's like the game development speed. "One construct at a time" speed.