DEVBLOG: INSIDE ARES, PART TWO - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

27 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

As we are talking about the warp.

Why don't we allow the warp drive to warp only on beacons and no longer on planets.

You what? Why? That would make warping absolutely pointless?? It is a fast travel mechanic. If you can't warp to planets, it is utterly pointless.

7 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

You would use warps beacons.

Again, than warping would be pointless. Not only are beacons extraordinarily expensive, but most people wan't to warp between Planets. Removing that ability would make warping in general nearly Pointless. And if you place warp beacons next to planets, then woohoo, removing warping to planets has become absolutely pointless ^^

I will focus my observations on anything that can relate only to Apollo (0.26.2) and Ares (0.26.12).

I won't go into the details of the bugs, these are things that will most certainly be fixed quickly, I feel like I performed better, but there are still a few crashes. A bug that always occurs is having its seat in the state "used by another entity" for example

1 - Condition of use of the shield
When you introduce the S and M size constructs into the fight, how are you going to balance the fact that it is possible to put L shields on them?
Aren't you worried that all ships have to equip an item of this size to be viable in PvP?
Do we really have to say goodbye to any attempt at Design on an S ship?

2 - Shield vs Voxel
The shield is free hp. Voxels require quanta, weight, and volume to be used. They are also impacted by the CCS what the shield ignores. There is an imbalance between these 2 means of defense.
How do you plan to solve this problem?

3 - Quality of Voxels
Top tier voxels do not reflect in their quality the investment required to use them. The upper thirds are rare, can be found in hostile environments, require more time (harvesting, refining, manufacturing), require higher tier shematic and industry ...
Example on “heavy” voxels for relation to T1
T1: Price 100% / HP 100%
T2: Price 289% / HP 101%
Q3: Price 532% / HP 107%
Q4: Price 1193% / HP 122%
T5: Price 3228% / HP 128%
The CCS is one thing, but we must not neglect the basic gross hp of the constructs.
What do you plan to do to enable the player to use the higher quality voxels?

4 - Chance of hit
I always kill an XS ship several hundred kilometers away with a few hits.
I think it can be very frustrating for a player to die this way so easily and quickly with no escape.

Do you think about fixing that and not allowing the XS / S ship to be annihilated from this far?

5 - Maneuverability of L ships
With the leverage effect on adjusters and larger build boxes, an L-core is easily far more responsive on its rotations than a smaller vessel.
How do you plan to fix this and allow hunters to have a real mobility advantage?

6 - Combat and Vmax
Currently during a PvP engagement the adversary in difficulty will seek to reach Vmax as quickly as possible.
This brings several problems:

6 A --- Quantum and time investment for PvP
- In order to be able to escape or catch up with the runaways, the players must use ships with a very high engine power. This increases fuel consumption and the overall price of ships. This requires players to make a huge investment in order to be able to participate in PvP.
How are you going to democratize PvP accessibility to as many people as possible?

6 B --- Disadvantage during combat at 30k km for ships other than L
Once ships are at high speed, smaller sizes such as XS / S / M are at a disadvantage due to their lower combat range. If their trajectory varies slightly, they risk losing the possibility of firing on their target. While the ship L can still shoot him.
How are you going to allow smaller ships to catch up with larger ships so they can get in touch and use their weapons?

6 C --- High speed combat achievement.
It is common for players to log out (intentionally or not) during a PvP engagement. When the player is no longer on board, the ship stops. You are also forced to brake and then re-accelerate when your opponent reconnects.
How do you plan to solve this problem?

6 D --- Future mechanics
Can you tell us if you think in the near future to introduce a game mechanic that could interfere with the speed / maneuverability of an enemy ship?
Ammunition that slows down the enemy, tractor beam, gravitational influence?

7 - Impact of the cross section:
The cross section does not influence the time to kill an XS or S fighter in any way, it's really speed. few seconde and it down.
On the other hand, it is far too decisive in a fight between an L nano ship and an L ship resembling a large ship.
A voxel ship that suffers 100% hit against a nano that suffers 50% is at a huge disadvantage.
It takes a huge amount of voxel, which makes the ship twice as expensive, also adds several hundred tons of voxel and slows the ship down by that much.
What do you plan to do to remedy this problem?

3 minutes ago, decom70 said:

Again, than warping would be pointless. Not only are beacons extraordinarily expensive, but most people wan't to warp between Planets. Removing that ability would make warping in general nearly Pointless. And if you place warp beacons next to planets, then woohoo, removing warping to planets has become absolutely pointless ^^

No beacon warps will be an end game item. People will pay organizations to warp on beacons.
This will be a big target for a certain group of players.

Eventually when there is PvP, using a beacon will allow you to arrive in the area in relative safety before starting to travel to an asteroid or the planet.

The game lacks a lot of end game gameplay. This is just a suggestion to create it.

2 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

No beacon warps will be an end game item. People will pay organizations to warp on beacons.
This will be a big target for a certain group of players.

Eventually when there is PvP, using a beacon will allow you to arrive in the area in relative safety before starting to travel to an asteroid or the planet.

The game lacks a lot of end game gameplay. This is just a suggestion to create it.

So now, people not only have to pay tons of money for warp cells, but also throw even more money down the drain to fast travel to a nearby planet, instead of slow boating there for a few hours? Hell no, that is just straight up a terrible Idea.

Warp Beacons will be fought over strategic points eventually, WITHOUT forcing them to be the only points available for warp travel.

Your suggestion would just be unecessary and annoying for every player that does not make profit off of these beacons.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:50 AM, decom70 said:

My man. A XS Fighter? Just shoot it down.

Why force pvp? The bullies are trying to say the point of the game is to pvp but pvp was originally only one aspect of the game. There should be things to do without being forced into pvp or caging us in a small area. This game isn't set up for all the pvp thats in it now. I'm not saying nerf pvp, but they have to add more in for nonpvpers to make some of the game elements feasible. This will mean adding a way to escape pirates other than fighting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! What about only 3 railguns L after patch?

Do you know is it a bug or a feature?

I have level 5 at Railgun capacity, Gunner seat capacity and Radar L capacity But I can fit only 3 Railguns L to the chair. It looks a bit like a mistake to me cause it lacks only a tiny bit of points to get that 4th Railgun mounted and I could mount 4 earlier.

That's pretty important to know. We invested months of training to get all the handling and operating skills to the decent level. Now Railguns are far weaker then other guns and we don't know if we should start training in another type of guns or keep invewsting another months of game into rails.

I know I may sound a bit snappish but I really need to know where is this heading. I have two characters that I want to develope for PvP bud I don't know what skill should I develope.