DEVBLOG: INSIDE ARES, PART TWO - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

"WARP IMPROVEMENTS Based on player feedback, we’re turning the knobs down a bit on warp drive. The ability to cancel a warp at any time made it more powerful and flexible than originally intended. To curb that, warp speed has been divided by 4. Although it may seem like we’re overcorrecting, in effect it’s not as drastic as it sounds. Travel will take a little longer at the new rate; expect trips to be closer to the minute mark rather than 15 seconds. This will take it from “blindingly fast” to “still pretty damn fast”. "

This isn't "curbing that", you're making it even easier to warp-stop right on top of targets.

4 minutes ago, ChatterFreeze said:

Can we get a fix on engine stacking before making warp changes? Like can we focus on exploits rather than balancing first? Please?

If you checked today PTS release change log, they fixed it. And if you read the older PTS change logs, they fixed multiple exploits ;) 

Anyway, I like this PTS release ! So much Lua ?

"

It bears repeating that players, especially those who enjoy PvP, should spend a little time on the test server to see the impact these changes will have on their personal gameplay."

On that topic, why don't NQ organise some actual events on the PTS?

Something along the lines of "we're all going to have a big battle in location X, on date Y, come and test the PvP with us".

You could do similar events for other changes too, for that matter: "let's all fly over to location X and test out the new docking rules"... etc.

So let me get this straight...

Being shot at will cancel warp. So the tiniest pirate fighter can keep even a large freighter/capital ship from warping away just by shooting it. Isn't this catering to pirates a little TOO much? Can we consider having a damage threshold that must be met to cancel warp? Or heck, make it so you  have to take hull damage to cancel warp. Or perhaps taking damage will pause or lengthen the spool-up time. This mechanic works well in Elite Dangerous, where you can spool up your FTL drive, but having someone close enough increases the spool time exponentially.

This change gives a single XS cannon the ability to interdict ANYTHING indefinitely. Makes it way too strong IMHO.

Concerning the new boarding/docking mechanics..... this new mechanic all but kills any future AvA boarding of enemy ships. I don't want to come across as critical, but just looking for some clarification here.

Does this mean there will be no AvA, ship based combat? Or is this a first iteration with an intention on refining the mechanics later?

Also, just a thought here about warp stopping....personally, I feel warp stopping in general is a little to OP....if it takes a while to spool up, it should take a while to slow down....maybe a good consequence of immediate warp stopping could be some incurred construct damage? If you throw out the boat anchor it hurts the hull.... just thinking out loud here....

Being shot at should not impact warp initiation as long as shields are up.  Just cancelling spool up because you get shot at feels very fabricated.

Also, how does slowing down warp speed (in itself I see no issue with that) fix anything with regards to dropping out of warp? How is/was that an issue and how deos this change anything. On face value woudl warp speed being slower make it not easier to drop out of wwarp at a specific location?

There is a lot of words in this devblog, but very little is being said.. 

You said based on player 'feedback'  which players?  Where what players?  I can certainly say most of my Org never requested a slower warp!.  Also you are literally helping people Warp Stop by slowing it down its easier not to overshoot your target thus easier to get attacked.  

mmmmm

54 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

Being shot at should not impact warp initiation as long as shields are up.  Just cancelling spool up because you get shot at feels very fabricated.

Also, how does slowing down warp speed (in itself I see no issue with that) fix anything with regards to dropping out of warp? How is/was that an issue and how deos this change anything. On face value woudl warp speed being slower make it not easier to drop out of wwarp at a specific location?

There is a lot of words in this devblog, but very little is being said.. 

You are right. the initialization of the warp should with its energy consumption should cut the shields. I will propose this, I hope it will be on the next patch.

Boarding and docking is very cool and im excited to see the new constructs this will lead to.

But pvp is still just not good in this game. There is no point in "refining" this system, its simply ancient and unworkable. And I agree with other commentors that these changes just benefit gankers and pirates. As it stands, pvp space will just remain a big, unused part of the game for most of us

The suggestion about putting down shields when warping makes no sense but I agree that damage should be considered before preventing warp.   The way shields should work is they get put down briefly whenever you shoot so those engaging in battle are at more risk.

6 hours ago, SirWillyLongShank said:

Concerning the new boarding/docking mechanics..... this new mechanic all but kills any future AvA boarding of enemy ships. I don't want to come across as critical, but just looking for some clarification here.

Does this mean there will be no AvA, ship based combat? Or is this a first iteration with an intention on refining the mechanics later?

Also, just a thought here about warp stopping....personally, I feel warp stopping in general is a little to OP....if it takes a while to spool up, it should take a while to slow down....maybe a good consequence of immediate warp stopping could be some incurred construct damage? If you throw out the boat anchor it hurts the hull.... just thinking out loud here....

If I remember well, when the repulsion has been exposed a long time ago, they exposed too that they will reconsider it when teh AvA will be considered.

I like most of the changes regarding warping and docking, but the warp stopping being used to stop on another vessel and to be easier now that warp speed has decreased. If you could provide some reason as to how this will help prevent PVPers from warp stopping on your position that would be nice to hear. Unless this change is to actually help pvpers do this, then disregard this message. If when people drop out of warp they are going a quarter of max speed (out of warp) that would make sense

19 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

You are right. the initialization of the warp should with its energy consumption should cut the shields. I will propose this, I hope it will be on the next patch.

No, NQ should bring in proper power/energy management so that an underpowerd ship would need to drop shields to enter warp while a properly designed ship can spool up warpdrives with shields active.

NQ is still trying to deal with the technical debt they built up over the past 4 years and that pile is enormous. I doubt they have the capacity to even consider power management at this time as they have never accounted for it in their design and woudl need to goio in and rework pretty much everything to make it work properly. IMO, what's more likely is we'll see a "Core stress" like bolt-on "solution" instead (eventually).

Rather than an all-or-nothing cancellation of warp, it would be a lot more interesting if hits on it reduced its reliability, which in turn gave the possibility of it failing later, and dropping you out of warp in the middle of nowhere.

Similarly it would be nice if other elements could take hits and become unreliable, spring leaks, etc, etc. That moment when you think you've got away, then you realise that you're leaking fuel out into space and are about to become a sitting duck...

Given the restrictions around the warp drive, it looks to me that the usage is intended to be only as a necessary "fast travel" and nothing more.

Tavel distances are a problem in all multiplayer space games (in single player you could just accelerate time), so having a fast travel option is absolutely necessary, but I also understand why they would want to keep to to be only fast travel and not an escape option.

20% is a huge over correction and if this is intended to make an impact on the pvp end of things warp should happen from spool up after ship alignment, the ship should not stop during spool up but keep its trajectory up until the moment warp starts 

I generally stay quiet about changes but in this case I have to say something. I see nothing productive in the warp changes except pandering to those who have nothing better to do than bully others who have no interest in PVP. It was challenge enough to escape from the PVP'ers when asteroid mining. This change will make it impossible.

On 9/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, TheGeek said:

So let me get this straight...

Being shot at will cancel warp. So the tiniest pirate fighter can keep even a large freighter/capital ship from warping away just by shooting it. Isn't this catering to pirates a little TOO much?

My man. A XS Fighter? Just shoot it down.

Though I still agree that the mechanic should be slightly different. Like someone else here suggested, the more damage is taken to either shield or hull, the more likely for it to fail. Meaning, if a M Core shoots a broadside at you, that's a warp failure, but not if a tiny XS fighter takes a few potshots at you.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, Knight-Sevy said:

Hell no, that is a terrible idea. If that were the case, you would have no chance to fight back.