A complete guide to the upcoming future discussion of DU. An eminent wipe is up in the air.

teso91

20 hours ago, RugesV said:

You get rid of all the tunnels that are on every planet.

It's not as easy as it sounds like. There are static constructs placed undergound, surface flattened for runways and so on. Imagine the rage if all that gets lost in the dirt.

20 hours ago, RugesV said:

I would not be surprised if we are no longer allowed to dig on planets in the future.

Terraforming is one of the basic features that make DU what it is. Removing it would be a very bad idea.

A possible compromise could be a limitation of terraforming to the building grid of static constructs, together with sufficient communuication in advance in order to give players a chance to stabalize existing terraforming by placing cores (as long as they didn't reached their core limit).

I see no future for game without full wipe. It was pretty much predestined from mucked up Beta Launch.

There is 2 principal reasons (to degree when 1 of them is already enough):

1) Game population too low to be viable on subs level -- it will demand very good restart, adverts/hype, attracting tens of thousands of players (to form big enough re-vitalazing wave), these new people will be not interested to jump into world with 3 years of hoarded assets against them (at best, if launch is really 2022), maybe more. No ammount of mental acrobatics will help against fact, that people like to join fresh starts more, especialy if its persistant and competive setting.

2) Game itself not viable without good territory warfare, but current world disign on many layers not support it -- size of planets, resources, starting locations, contested grounds -- all must be reworked. But its makes very little sense with people brining in picture trillions of assets or even holding all current tiles, sometimes with armies of alts (issue likely be endemic during passive mining update).

NQ obviosuly super interested in keeping it silent, because they need at least current token population until real deal is ready.

If they manage to do something of DU long-term without wipe, I will be super suprised.

7 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

I see no future for game without full wipe. It was pretty much predestined from mucked up Beta Launch.

There is 2 principal reasons (to degree when 1 of them is already enough):

1) Game population too low to be viable on subs level -- it will demand very good restart, adverts/hype, attracting tens of thousands of players (to form big enough re-vitalazing wave), these new people will be not interested to jump into world with 3 years of hoarded assets against them (at best, if launch is really 2022), maybe more. No ammount of mental acrobatics will help against fact, that people like to join fresh starts more, especialy if its persistant and competive setting.

2) Game itself not viable without good territory warfare, but current world disign on many layers not support it -- size of planets, resources, starting locations, contested grounds -- all must be reworked. But its makes very little sense with people brining in picture trillions of assets or even holding all current tiles, sometimes with armies of alts (issue likely be endemic during passive mining update).

NQ obviosuly super interested in keeping it silent, because they need at least current token population until real deal is ready.

If they manage to do something of DU long-term without wipe, I will be super suprised.

Point 1 contradict itself? Not enough people, People have to much stuff. If anything those people are actually helping new players. they are making ships, resources and equipment avail and much cheaper prices then a full on restart would result (They do a full on wipe and planetside mining is gone, no more super nodes, save auto mining). Not to mention you could buy and sell elements to AI shops. 

2. Well they are adding it. And it does support it. "Size of planet"? huh, I mean to big to small?  Could go either way but does not need to be wiped because its either way.  "Resources"? Well asteroids spawn once a week now, and passive mining will take over active planetside mining.  "Starting locations"?  well no one knows if they have prime ground now or not. "Contested ground"? is your neighbor breathing your air? 

your wants for a wipe are miniscule compared to the harm it would do.  And amount to little more then "They have more then me, Make them have less".

I Am not waiting for a wipe but if im correct didnt NQ state that in order to add biomes and such the planets would be "reformed" and with that nothing else would be wiped and golden BP would be given there where needed?

Edited by Aaron Cain
typo

I am daunted about the wipe out of all I have done however, the one thing that I have noticed needs a wipe is the Achievements mainly because some are not happening when they should (I am fairly sure I have collected all Tier 1 ore's) and also some actually trigger when you standing near other peoples industry like the Trouble Maker achievement which I received while looking around someone else building / shop. I guess some ammunition must have been made while I was near by but anyway I have not actually made any ammunition of any kind yet.. 

I would also be furious with a wipe, what kind of wipe are we talking about? We pay money, the game develops, but still someone is crying and crying, I do not see the meaning, I do not see the future. Calm down whiners, take your ass in hand and go to develop in DU so as not to cry. Everything is wrong with you.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, Maxim Kammerer said:

It's not as easy as it sounds like. There are static constructs placed undergound, surface flattened for runways and so on. Imagine the rage if all that gets lost in the dirt.

Terraforming is one of the basic features that make DU what it is. Removing it would be a very bad idea.

A possible compromise could be a limitation of terraforming to the building grid of static constructs, together with sufficient communuication in advance in order to give players a chance to stabalize existing terraforming by placing cores (as long as they didn't reached their core limit).

Regarding terraforming, this can be solved quite simply, where the claimed - terraformed holes, tunnels and etc, do not change, and remain the same. It's not difficult. As a last resort, the area around the core ... Suppose 500 meters of terraforming. There are many solutions to this problem, so it is quite possible and not very difficult to solve, with a couple of conditions for restoring / not restoring land.

But this would solve the problems both for NQ in terms of certain optimizations and for the players, since if I fly by, I have to load all these tunnels - despite the fact that they are underground .. why?)

Who would play after a wipe?  There is so much development left on this game. who's to say that in another years they dont wipe again? 

Your talk of a wipe does more harm to the game, then a few people having more inconsequential items then others.