A complete guide to the upcoming future discussion of DU. An eminent wipe is up in the air.

teso91

Where do we start?
__

Introduction:
~  Hello, my name is Teso. Most don't know me unless I've battled them on discord under the influence.  I'm not proud of the fact that I fly off the handle, but it does send a true sense of the current

situation in DU.  I find DU somewhat enjoyable.... Throughout the year it has been more enjoyable than certain parts of the year.  Some players ask themselves "Why bother?" leading to a negative game experience.  Don't get me wrong... I think DU has a bright path ahead of itself, however I just think they need to execute it in a precise manner. Which is why we are here today in BETA.  I will start this thread off with the first thought in my head which is player base from the release to its current state in time.

~I1- . We started this game off great.... Everything was amazing..... At least the community thought it was. The community was at an all time high-until .23 hit.    Neighbors died, community's became diseased .   Nothing was the same from this day. It took quite some time for even the hardcore players to come back and play- out of defiance for the path of the current development team.   Mainly JC was to answer for these causes and incurrences answers went unanswered and the players began to loose hope.  Players began to protest in any way they could.... Whether it be trolling JC's castle or simple not logging in.  This did really hurt DU in the end. Players stopped playing and gave up hope.  There was a saying among the player community........ And it still shines to this day.... " MAKE DU GREAT AGAIN" A partial wipe is in the air- as it should be.   Obviously as I have been playing form the start- I don't think a full wipe is valid- as that would incur a total and complete destruction of DU. DU is currently in BETA and thus player input  to the faction of order is just.    

Let's begin.
~ All players be respectful of each other and follow the DU forum guidelines.
~ Agree to disagree with other players.

~Opinions matter to our community ~Work together to have a voice.
~No shaming or bashing. This is an open discussion. All players are welcome!

Topics:

2: SCHEMATICS

2:1:  We have heard talks of removing schematics from NQ.  Yet it has yet to happen. I don't think complete removal is necessary. Personally i think it needs to be set for tiers etc. That is my opinion.
When the community comes and talks about wipes this will complicate things for NQ.   Unfortunately they let the free for all cheap day BP fly, and let players keep their schems for penny's on the dollar. Many players were outraged. To this day that has not been remedied unfortunately.   NQ gave a free pass.  I myself was very dissatisfied with this ruling., along with many other players.   Propelling orgs with Q to a high that no other player could reach.  This factor also exacerbated the .23 update as it followed shortly after the update- leading to more players leaving the game.

3: PVP

3:1:   Personally me I have yet to join PVP and for quite a few reasons.  This is not my category so i will leave it up to the community to update this section.

4: EXPLORATION

4:1:  We have yet to have any new exploration feature in the game since the actual release.  Whether it be new solar systems, rogue moons, or simply random outposts with more hints and features into clues about things.  I had made a post about random rogue planets/moons to be discovered and not found through warp until landed on / or until a device was created to triangulate the position in the system.   That is my own sense- I will keep this section open to player interpretation.

5: MINING

51:   : We have reached a point where there is a lack of resources in the game~ At least for the smaller player base.   Massive orgs continue to dominate the ADV-EX feature with this previous APOLLO Update. This isn't a update for new players, or at least for smaller orgs.   It however is a road bench to future updates hopefully. I also happen to notice there were no asteroids near Ion or Locobus for the matter... just a thought.   We are also still waiting for Auto mining bots and our pets, which were promised by NQ from the initial alpha release... We have yet to see that.    I think the goal for NQ is to get more players, and in order to do that they need to have a massive game update... something quite dramatic.  Some patch that would literally be a game changer and it shouldn't be hinted or intended. ~ Except for 1 hint. "Something massive is coming".   Players don't want to mine for 7 hours to run their factory's but I guess it all comes down to economics.~ Which has been proven on the downfall from NQ's hiring history.   A bashing you can take NQ from me or the community... I just want to give my opinion and the community's thoughts as we have continuously played through these patches.   We want to give you our honest feedback.

6: INDUSTRY

6:1 : This topic comes into conflict with certain category's on this page. 1: WIPE: and 2: Schematics. Topic is up in the air for the community.

7: EVENTS
7:1:    More events needed. However All events should be paused until the rest of these category's get filled their request by the community.  I understand we want and need more events, but the focus of the team should be on the rest of the topics.

8: Community

8:1:   Speaketh your heart. As I have.

1: WIPE

1:1   Finally we are on the main topic for the day.   A wipe,  From .23 to today.   For some reason today people are talking about it.   I'm all up for it.  There are so many factors which cause this situation.   Its a struggle to find enjoyment anymore at least playing.   A relaunch would help.  However I Don't think it should happen unless a certain amount of factors have been upheld by the community managers and the development team.   This is also an open topic for our community to discuss.  I hate for this post to be hidden or our voices go unheard... Let the players speak.    Some players will agree that the game is going in the right direction. Which I think it is, however I think they need to really adapt to the community backlash/recommendations.   The wipe should be referenced from category's. 1,2,5,6.

I think NQ needs to have certain strides to make something that was once great..... Something better.   

The community has been waiting.

Let your voices be heard.

Why wipe back to .23; if you are going to do it, do it all the way.

We had issues before .23. Lots of good hex’s claimed by people never to return. Exploits already taken advantage of.

if needed, blank slate, but first fix the issues so people just don’t repeat them again.

1 minute ago, CoyoteNZ said:

Why wipe back to .23; if you are going to do it, do it all the way.

We had issues before .23. Lots of good hex’s claimed by people never to return. Exploits already taken advantage of.

if needed, blank slate, but first fix the issues so people just don’t repeat them again.

Who said we need a wipe back to .23?

6 minutes ago, Waffle Boy said:

If a wipe happens tomorrow.  I'll be getting all 200 of my alts to do missions and within weeks I will have billions more than the average player, again.  Then you will go back to complaining.

Not a problem, always going ng to be the rich and the poor.

may take a little time to get a ship that can run 200 missions from scratch though, and I feel sorry for you having to cycle through that many toons!

1 minute ago, CoyoteNZ said:

may take a little time to get a ship that can run 200 missions from scratch though, and I feel sorry for you having to cycle through that many toons!

hehe 200 is overboard.  but yeah i'd have to no life until i can manipulate the market and run factory.

• teso91 changed the title to A complete guide to the upcoming future discussion of DU. An eminent wipe is up in the air.

good to see NQ still does nothing about loopholes, so indeed people can easily place 200 alst on a single ship and do a single run and get 200 missions done, and NQ will do nothing now, or after a wipe so why even bother with a wipe. Only wipe we will need or possible see is already told and will be one on surface of the planets only, so that probably means all holes filled, electricity added, ores added back, klimate changed, new biomes added but that was already told to us before beta and was not called a wipe but a uhmmmmm forgot.

"Its a struggle to find enjoyment anymore at least playing. "

A wipe doesnt fix anything and industry is ok just the way it is. What i dont like is that BPs are items and not a clickable button in the industry itself. Select indy, select craft menu, pick something to be crafted, pay the price to activate that BP in the indy and thats it. I also understand the value of bp but its just another task needed to be done. Just because you lost your will/reason and will to play DU doesnt mean everyone is on the same boat. Asking Wipes with main reason being i am bored and i need a new challenge has nothing to do with how NQ wants things to be. Its their dream, their vision, their jobs, their careers and so far they are doing things very well. What you can do:

1: Join PTS

2: Test PTS patches

3: Report constructive feedback.

This are the only things that can be done atm. This is not your average mmo and we cant wipe every 6 months because some players do not FEEL well, motivated or competitive. It is a kill or be killed game. Its a game about stories, dramas and we've got past the learning curve and evolution curve successfully with HELP from NQ because the playerbase would not have reached T5 tech lvl after 0.23 easily. How a wipe will help? I have no idea because it doesnt make sense anymore. Nobody, not a single player wants to go back to mining on Alioth for 1 month 10h a day. We are 2 months away or less from auto mining tier. Only a new player, a bored player or a troll can ask for wipes, knowing almost nobody wants release grind again. Competitive orgs will be richer beyonds words on release and they will literally take over DU and make it unplayable.

I dont think you understand one thing, just one thing. There are active, paid subscriptions in the game and those are active KNOWING there wont be wipes. :)

2 hours ago, CoyoteNZ said:

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

2 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

good to see NQ still does nothing about loopholes, so indeed people can easily place 200 alst on a single ship and do a single run and get 200 missions done, and NQ will do nothing now, or after a wipe so why even bother with a wipe. Only wipe we will need or possible see is already told and will be one on surface of the planets only, so that probably means all holes filled, electricity added, ores added back, klimate changed, new biomes added but that was already told to us before beta and was not called a wipe but a uhmmmmm forgot.

Sorry you cannot 'easily place' 200 missions on a single ship, do you have any idea of the size of ship needed to carry / move that.  Can you honestly tell me what is the highest number of packs you have PERSONALLY moved, or have be part of moving.  Got a feeling you have no idea of the logistics involved.

As for a wipe, I really dont see the point, you are just moving the line in the sand.  Open world MMO's like this will always have a 1% of mega rich, will always have big orgs that control parts of the universe, they will always have content which only suits group play.

Since NQ have added missions (afk gameplay) and roids (active risk based gameplay) I have really started to enjoy the game again.  Mining roids is so much more enjoyable than surface mining, you can do it solo and it is excellent for small group play.   There is still a lot to do, but i am quite happy with both the game and NQ at the moment.

2: SCHEMATICS

Schematics ain't inherently bad..they just should not be a bot sold item.

Make them arise from PVE discovery and/or through science/engineering.

The 1% schems not being fixed is one of many issues that makes a wipe unavoidable. If NQ was serious about the no-wipe promise, they should have acted in time on exploits/bugs, e.g. with rollbacks.

The aftermath of all that crap has manifested and multiplied over time and is not fixable IMO.

4: EXPLORATION

We could have had at leas asteroids here by now.

Yet NQ decided to make DSAT into an omnipotent magic device that knows about all asteroids, put them in a list and communicate FTL to everybody as soon anybody touches one of them.

In the process of putting the least possible dev time into DSAT and delivering the most boring player experience with that, NQ managed to deraile economy further into fubar territory. Just one more reason why mechanics need to be fixed and a wipe is needed for release.

5: MINING

See point 4. Fix DSAT.

6: INDUSTRY
I don't think there's something inherently wrong with industry.

7: EVENTS
Events should be largely player driven i guess.

1: WIPE

Simple. Unavoidable at this point.

Keep (regular) blueprints, XP, maybe thoramine to keep the crying to a minimum..purge all the rest.

This of course after things are fixed and there must be a procedure and clear guideline for rollbacks in place to be able to handle future exploits.

(Regular DB snapshots, pre-patch DB snapshots.

The closest thing your going to see to a wipe is a terrain wipe.  Think about it. NQ has been trying to reduce server costs with allot of the updates over the last year.   And once we get automated mining there will be no reason to dig up vast sections of planets anymore.  You get rid of all the tunnels that are on every planet. you get rid of all the ore nodes that are on every planet. and NQ is saving some serious data.  Thats data they dont have to store, thats data they dont have to transmit.  Which is a serious $$ savings to NQ.  I would not be surprised if we are no longer allowed to dig on planets in the future.  Or maybe you gota buy a shard off the NQ shop to terraform. 

Wiping assets/xp is pointless. All thats going to do is alienate those who do play the game/have played the game.  The majority are not going to come back and do the grind again. 

A rollback to .23? Lulz.  You think they are going to do that in any scenario? Because that would mean they would be wiping all the updates they have made in the last year. Its not like they can pick and choose what they want to keep and remove.  It would be like throwing yellow balls into a yellow ball pen and then asking to take those specific ones out. The amount of effort it would take.....  Might as well make a new ball pen.   You can also look at the remove schematic threads where most people posting say no they are required now. 

Doomsayers going to Doomsay. 

Bit too much use of the word 'our' too, not sure who you are collectively speaker on behalf of.  I genuinely dont agree with a lot of this.  Noone can speak on behalf of the community, because it is so diverse.  Let NQ get on with it, they are improving.  Too many people still beating them over the head for historic failures.

1 hour ago, RugesV said:

The closest thing your going to see to a wipe is a terrain wipe.  Think about it. NQ has been trying to reduce server costs with allot of the updates over the last year.   And once we get automated mining there will be no reason to dig up vast sections of planets anymore.  You get rid of all the tunnels that are on every planet. you get rid of all the ore nodes that are on every planet. and NQ is saving some serious data.  Thats data they dont have to store, thats data they dont have to transmit.  Which is a serious $$ savings to NQ.  I would not be surprised if we are no longer allowed to dig on planets in the future.  Or maybe you gota buy a shard off the NQ shop to terraform. 

Wiping assets/xp is pointless. All thats going to do is alienate those who do play the game/have played the game.  The majority are not going to come back and do the grind again. 

A rollback to .23? Lulz.  You think they are going to do that in any scenario? Because that would mean they would be wiping all the updates they have made in the last year. Its not like they can pick and choose what they want to keep and remove.  It would be like throwing yellow balls into a yellow ball pen and then asking to take those specific ones out. The amount of effort it would take.....  Might as well make a new ball pen.   You can also look at the remove schematic threads where most people posting say no they are required now. 

Doomsayers going to Doomsay. 

No one said rollback to .23

OK, so IMO a wipe back to 0.23 would be a huge mistake.  It's true that 0.23 put a lot of players off playing, but that was some time ago now and those players have probably gone off to do other things.  The game was not perfect before 0.23 in any case, it just hadn't run for long enough for things like infinite production and skills that reduce material requirements for crafting to really bite (IMO anyway).  It's not guaranteed (or even particularly likely) that many of the players who quit at 0.23 would even come back again if the game were to be reset.

What is pretty much guaranteed though is a large chunk of players who have been persevering and playing since 0.23 would be really annoyed to see their efforts rolled back.  Some people *started* playing since then and would be reduced back to day 1 while others would suddenly be put in a position of power/richness again despite not being around for the last 6 months.

So, IMO, what would most likely happen is yet another drop in the player base.

As to some of your detail, I agree that stuff like the schematic giveaway was really annoying (and it made me quit for a while), but it happened and it's going to be really hard to unpick now.  I think we just have to accept that some people got lucky there and got handed a chunk of cash.  But with missions and asteroids, it's not giving them the unassailable advantage that it did before -- grinding for cash is a lot easier than it once was and it is possible to catch up to the ones who got cheap schematics now.  NQ have been pretty good recently, new features are coming out regularly and things like the 'core death' discussion show that people are being listened to.  Perhaps we should just let whatever mistakes happened months ago slide and look forwards.

Also I think you're very wrong about asteroids being for groups only.  It is true that there are a bunch of starved PvP players looking to shoot everyone who tries to mine one, but there are ways to deal with that (in particular, go to an old asteroid rather than discovering a new one).  There are also ways to do it solo, mitigate the loss levels when you get shot at, etc.  You definitely can mine the higher tier ores solo and get the ore back to the safezone enough times to make it very worthwhile.  And it's fun.  Why not give it a try ...

"No one said rollback to .23"

8 hours ago, teso91 said:

1:1   Finally we are on the main topic for the day.   A wipe,  From .23 to today.   For some reason today people are talking about it.   I'm all up for it.  There are so many factors which cause this situation.   Its a struggle to find enjoyment anymore at least playing.   A relaunch would help.  However I Don't think it should happen unless a certain amount of factors have been upheld by the community managers and the development team.   This is also an open topic for our community to discuss.  I hate for this post to be hidden or our voices go unheard... Let the players speak.    Some players will agree that the game is going in the right direction. Which I think it is, however I think they need to really adapt to the community backlash/recommendations.   The wipe should be referenced from category's. 1,2,5,6.

Po-tay-to or po-tah-to?

17 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

Also I think you're very wrong about asteroids being for groups only.  It is true that there are a bunch of starved PvP players looking to shoot everyone who tries to mine one, but there are ways to deal with that (in particular, go to an old asteroid rather than discovering a new one).  There are also ways to do it solo, mitigate the loss levels when you get shot at, etc.  You definitely can mine the higher tier ores solo and get the ore back to the safezone enough times to make it very worthwhile.  And it's fun.  Why not give it a try ...

This is what makes me wonder whether the people who write this stuff are actually playing the game.   We have been mining discovered roids for the last few weeks, it is great fun, been doing it solo and in a group.  You just need a DSAT to get the locations (then you leave behind) flying out in something like a small core, 8 container space only warp ship.  Mine what you can find (often you can find plenty of T3/4).   Yes we have occasionally met pirates and lost the odd ship but that is part of the game, I dont want continuous progresses, you need a set back now and again.  Either way, you cover any losses with one small run.  The small group mining we have done at roids has been some of the most entertaining gameplay we have ever had in DU.  The mining is easy, good performance, element of risk, finally something with a bit of urgency.

You can even solo jetpack to roids, and get 5/6kl of T5 in your pack and jet back (easy 10M) zero risk.  Stop trying to change something you havent actually tried. 

Really, Wipe shit again?

I tell you what, I have the perfect solution. 

NQ should add an option that allows people to wipe their own character. That way all the wipers can do it as many times as they want and the rest of us can move on an enjoy the game 

13 hours ago, Moosegun said:

Sorry you cannot 'easily place' 200 missions on a single ship, do you have any idea of the size of ship needed to carry / move that.  Can you honestly tell me what is the highest number of packs you have PERSONALLY moved, or have be part of moving.  Got a feeling you have no idea of the logistics involved.

As for a wipe, I really dont see the point, you are just moving the line in the sand.  Open world MMO's like this will always have a 1% of mega rich, will always have big orgs that control parts of the universe, they will always have content which only suits group play.

Since NQ have added missions (afk gameplay) and roids (active risk based gameplay) I have really started to enjoy the game again.  Mining roids is so much more enjoyable than surface mining, you can do it solo and it is excellent for small group play.   There is still a lot to do, but i am quite happy with both the game and NQ at the moment.

Most I've done was about 60 mission packages at once and made like 300m when it was done.  Ship was over 40kt.  200 was just an example.  Also if you have Geforce Now and use multiple computers which I know some people do, you can do more.

10 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

Most I've done was about 60 mission packages at once and made like 300m when it was done.  Ship was over 40kt.  200 was just an example.  Also if you have Geforce Now and use multiple computers which I know some people do, you can do more.

I am well aware that you can do high numbers of packages but using 200 "as just as example" when you yourself have only done a fraction of that is not an example at all.  It is a massive exaggeration.  Personally I think a simple solution would be limiting the number of missions available at each location, so once xx missions are taking, it changes to another mission.  This would limit the maximum single run missions any single player could take.