DEVBLOG: INSIDE ARES, PART ONE - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

so basically "CORE COMBAT STRESS" = a global hitpoints value for the ship.

ship dead = HP reach 0 or core element is directly destroyed

Why not call it that way ("ship HP") instead of a confusing name like "core combat stress" ? people are used to "HP notion" in gaming. not much to 'stress' (which is simply here 100%-HP% left)

Why is this made so complex? I get what you are doing but it makes no sense to me at all. From what the devblog says. Your ship elements can have a 50% resistance to specific damage, but on a hit the full HP value of the damage type is still applied against the core stress even when the element absorbs a percentage of it.

Shields are energy; hence they would mostly absorb (and have effectiveness diminished by) EM damage and deflect kinetic, thermal or explosive damage. Being able to shift the resistance profile for shields really makes no sense.

Also, nice try spinning the feedback on the core ownership loss as if the concern was with PVP, it wasn't. The concern was that NQ was intending to implement this widely without regard for circumstance or location, pretty much was intending to burn the house down because someone picked a lock. 

It all feels like NQ does not have the ability to go in and really fix these issues, so they need to tag on more stuff to kind of work around it. Not something some here have been predicting would become a trend for quite some time. and so, here we are. If NQ had actually listened to feedback from a year or three ago and ensures the core tech was in place and ready to hold the feature and functional mechanics that would rely on it, we would be in a far better place...

I still think NQ should let go of the idea they can make a somewhat real time combat system work, it's clear that the server tech, especially the backend, is not designed or capable to do this and cost saving needed to try and keep the lights on have further reduced the possibility of finding a way to make that work.

I'd say it may be time to rethink the entire combat system.

I don't think that the damage applied to the combat stress count should be the total damage and should be based on the actual damage applied to voxels/elements after resistances. This would put more emphasis in the use of voxel armor that has higher resistances. otherwise voxels themselves really don't serve much of a combat value aside from increasing the base HP value of the ship.

Since we don't have the energy requirements in game yet, and don't even know what elements will require energy or how it will work or what impact it will have on cores or constructs, this whole shields and element/core pvp balancing is almost completely pointless and a waste of time and resources and nothing more than a knee jerk reaction?

Just and Idea but maybe finish developing the game before trying to balance things and mitigate problems?

2 hours ago, Wyratt said:

Since we don't have the energy requirements in game yet, and don't even know what elements will require energy or how it will work or what impact it will have on cores or constructs, this whole shields and element/core pvp balancing is almost completely pointless and a waste of time and resources and nothing more than a knee jerk reaction?

Just and Idea but maybe finish developing the game before trying to balance things and mitigate problems?

I could not agree more but somebody probably lobied alot to only work on PVP for months. Basics are still not working as intended, so the game isnt build from the ground up but from what can we advertise and looks nice in vids. and indeed mining and mining units or just unbugging pending isnt really sexy. 

2 hours ago, Wyratt said:

if the game isn't balanced now, it may affect how other gameplay elements are implemented in the future, leading to an ultimately broken game foundation. plus; its much easier gamedev wise to balance instead of adding new features.

1 hour ago, Shaman said:

if the game isn't balanced now, it may affect how other gameplay elements are implemented in the future, leading to an ultimately broken game foundation. plus; its much easier gamedev wise to balance instead of adding new features.

true but why balance the shieldings while mining, economy, industry are also still unbalanced. If you want a balanced game, start on the ground and work the way up.  the way its done now is balance the CEO while there are no factory workers, so nice for everyone to be able to have meetings but in the end there is no product on the shelves

I think this is a good implementation of shields. Not too complex, but gives the players more things to manage in combat.

I'm not a big fan of this core combat stress stuff, especially how it scales with diminishing returns past a certain threshold. What if I want to make a super heavily armored dreadnaught? Without having tested the mechanic I can't opine comprehensively, but I hope NQ is taking into consideration the playerbase's desire to fulfill certain sci-fi tropes. We want all kinds of ships to be effective; fighters, corvettes, lightweight frigates and destroyers, battlecruisers, battleships, dreadnaughts, carriers, etc. Please keep that in mind. A PVP meta that trends toward one single type of ship will be boring.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, space_man said:

...  and all of the honeycomb that's now worthless.

I have difficulties to understand all the coming changes and what they mean to me personally.

The really weird thing to me is that the very natural cosmic shape is a sphere - the one in DU though is a cube - that's why the PVP ships all ended up in such a strange shape including the quoted honeycomb protection.

But now ... there's adjustable shields (helping to justify other weapon-setups maybe), includes that new CoreCombatStress - BUT honeycomb protection has no value anymore ?

Means naked Ships instead of Cubes I guess.

Well, I just hope NQ is doing the right changes.

For me this is all a bit overwhelming.