Market Clean-Up discussion thread

NQ-Pann

1 hour ago, RockSlaughter said:

I'd rather see rules built into the game mechanics such as an ai comes and blows u up for parking where you shouldn't, or invisible walls don't let your ship get that close (just examples), rather than the devs just telling us how to play. It just seems super lazy to just tell people how to play instead of actually developing the game with features that force certain actions. First it's "people are sad you stow away on their ships, we must prevent the sad so no more stow aways or you could be banned" and now it's "we don't feel like coding, so can yall just move all your stuff? Thanks!" Honestly, NQ needs to check out of the forums and chat for a while, go build the game in its original design and vision, then come back and check in on the whiners. I absolutely love this game but these kinds of "interventions" kills a little bit of that each time, feels like I'm finding red flags in a new relationship. 

i think originally they had hoped they wouldn't need to enforce a rule like this.  They wanted to allow people to advertise at the markets.  It was supposed to make the markets feel busy and alive.  And it was almost a good idea in some ways.  If there were no such thing as technical limitations the only down side would be some people's poor taste in advertising style and placement.

But they realized that performance at the markets was more important then allowing people to do whatever they want.

They aren't telling you how to play.  They are asking you to stop doing things that were breaking the game.

26 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

My only concern was with a tiny ship that I left on Sanctuary. It's almost compactible and was one of my very first ships for getting around at the start of beta. I left it at a market there when I moved camp to Alioth. Market 8 in fact, which is pretty deserted and where my minimalist ship couldn't possibly do any harm.

Sorry, not my intention to offend. It was just that the wording in your original post made it sound like something else then what it was.

So just place your ship on an actual landing pad and you will be fine. Or since it sounds like it is a mostly unused ship, you could place it on the ground under or close to the market as to not take up prime landing space for active ships.

2 hours ago, RockSlaughter said:

I'd rather see rules built into the game mechanics such as an ai comes and blows u up for parking where you shouldn't, or invisible walls don't let your ship get that close (just examples), rather than the devs just telling us how to play. It just seems super lazy to just tell people how to play instead of actually developing the game with features that force certain actions.

Completely agree. Having a 'secret' playbook that players just have to know about is not how games should work, and will only confuse players and lead to all sorts of weirdness like the 'Non-Consensual Boarding' thing.

And from past experience with NQ I have a feeling that the new market policy wont be regularly policed (for the same reason they won't make actual code to fix it). So naturally they will slowly get more and more spamy, and only when things get really bad will they be cleaned up again in a rinse and repeat pattern..

2 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

How do you end up with that idea? this seems like a mostly manual solution, .. for which NQ lacks the manpower to consistently enforce.

They already do magic blueprints within the same area after a certain amount of time.

1 hour ago, Shaman said:

Thanks NQ!

If I could just ask a question though, is all of this done manually by the mods, or automatically?

and if it is done manually, will it be done automatically in the future?

It is done automatically, they have had this ability for awhile, It took too much server time before, so they had to make it better.

About F*king time... Took NQ long enough.... Finally one can go to a market without a labyrinth of shi* blocking the way. I just don't like how NQ "dump" them onto the districts instead... Giving new players even less preference when they start in the game... IMO both markers and districts should be "clutter-free" ... 

I hope they just hide every single dynamic construct on the busy markets first. Hiding has been used enough and is a nice way to just get that stuff out of the way first without hurting anybody.
I also gladly just turn my XL screens on my hauler off when I come to the market, if that means I don’t have to see anybody else’s.

Can somebody tell me why people should be allowed have container constructs at the market? If people want to buy something for the org for another player to pick up, they can just make it a mission or buy it via org wallet in the first place. Might want to get rid of them, too, while you are at it.

14 minutes ago, Gottchar said:

I hope they just hide every single dynamic construct on the busy markets first. Hiding has been used enough and is a nice way to just get that stuff out of the way first without hurting anybody.
I also gladly just turn my XL screens on my hauler off when I come to the market, if that means I don’t have to see anybody else’s.

Can somebody tell me why people should be allowed have container constructs at the market? If people want to buy something for the org for another player to pick up, they can just make it a mission or buy it via org wallet in the first place. Might want to get rid of them, too, while you are at it.

the container constructs are only there cus ppl are to lazy to have a big enough ship at the market... Some even use their container constructs to manipulate the market .. they should also be gone IMO ... 

1 minute ago, DevilsOwn said:

the container constructs are only there cus ppl are to lazy to have a big enough ship at the market... Some even use their container constructs to manipulate the market .. they should also be gone IMO ... 

Anything you buy is in the market container. I could buy 20 million dirt, be it via buy or sell orders, and carry it away in my inventory via my starter hover, one bucket at a time.

Same for market "manipulation" of buying low and sell high, or buy out all dirt in the system and sell it for double. 

So both things you mention do not require those container castles, nothing does. Especially not now that we have missions and org wallets/market containers.

2 hours ago, Gottchar said:

Anything you buy is in the market container. I could buy 20 million dirt, be it via buy or sell orders, and carry it away in my inventory via my starter hover, one bucket at a time.

Same for market "manipulation" of buying low and sell high, or buy out all dirt in the system and sell it for double. 

So both things you mention do not require those container castles, nothing does. Especially not now that we have missions and org wallets/market containers.

No, as I wrote, they are only there for convenience... Nothing else... 

Hello NQ, I would kindly ask for clarification:

In the rule you say:

• Constructs must be parked outside the green perimeter line 
    • I can't see the perimeter line, can you please give an example?
  • Only ships are allowed on the market landing platform.
    • I have a shop hovering next to the platform, should I remove it also? (even though it is not on the platform)?

2 hours ago, RyanMudric said:

Hello NQ, I would kindly ask for clarification:

In the rule you say:

• Constructs must be parked outside the green perimeter line 
    • I can't see the perimeter line, can you please give an example?
  • Only ships are allowed on the market landing platform.
    • I have a shop hovering next to the platform, should I remove it also? (even though it is not on the platform)?

The green Perimeter line will be added to the markets very soon, it essentially is an that encompasses the main building and the ramp leading up to the market. Constructs should remain outside that line to allow unobstructed access to the market building.

We want to reduce the amount of congestion at the markets as much as possible without being to restrictive. We love seeing player build shop constructs, however housing them at the highly congested market is simply not a good idea. As such, we welcome you to place them at the districts instead.

is it possible or already envisaged to further spread the existing markets on allioth? This "market circle" is nonsensical and exacerbates the density of constructs there, while elsewhere on the planet there is no market to be found.

1140125583_Screenshot(3548).png

8 hours ago, NQ-Deckard said:

The green Perimeter line will be added to the markets very soon, it essentially is an that encompasses the main building and the ramp leading up to the market. Constructs should remain outside that line to allow unobstructed access to the market building.

We want to reduce the amount of congestion at the markets as much as possible without being to restrictive. We love seeing player build shop constructs, however housing them at the highly congested market is simply not a good idea. As such, we welcome you to place them at the districts instead.

Does... this mean auto-miner update Thursday with updated markets?! ;) Thirsty minds want to know haha

*edit - also still haven't seen previous concerns answered about player owned tiles next to markets and how the new rules interact with them

I'm all for market cleanup but eliminating dispensers totally and shop constructs that are positioned off the edges and aren't even on the platforms seems a bit extreme.  I like the ability to wander the wares at the markets and impulse buy blueprints just like I'm sure many others do as well.  My shop that is thoughtfully placed to not be obstructive to market operations shouldn't be penalized because of the inconsiderate people popping 3 XL screens right in the center of the main platform.

If that's the case though, I would like to recommend a centralized aphelia owned "bazaar" location for only small shops that are maybe far enough away to prevent lag while also providing a single location for shoppers instead of the 10 districts which are rarely used by anyone other than the newest players.

3 hours ago, CzarMan said:

I like the ability to wander the wares at the markets and impulse buy blueprints just like I'm sure many others do as well.

That and more are things that would be enabled by having popular player driven markets.

But as with many other promised features in this game, there is no telling when we will get them.

And the moment you give someone opportunity for placing shops on the district markets, it will just slowly get worse and worse and then you will be back to the current situation.

Our containers are for juggling the logistics of putting on the markets only as much as would sell in 1 month, and resupply by our hauliers when they have time in game. Taxes for say 3 month sell orders and mission fees would kill profits on low volume or low margin items. So for us not just convenience, but a way we choose to operate. I try to keep the constructs relatively simple to minimise lag, but they need to be within 250m so I can VR there and link to the container to restock the market when I get time in game myself.

Cleaning up the market is really a very good thing.
but why not set up a recovery system?
a dynamic construction that has not changed for x days or weeks, should take 10%, 20%, 30% ect ... (value to be defined) of wear per days or weeks is eventually destroyed.
this will be automatically retrieved and the ships cleaned.
créerer that a trade recovery, natural wear our ship, surment générerais the market ect ........

I like the fact that market clutter is addressed, but in am not really a fan of the chosen solution. Solving this with a detailed list of rules moves the game further away more from the 'sandbox' principle. 
I would have preferred a solution like for instance charging 'parking fees' (first hour free) depending on core size and then 'hide' the constructs when wallets run out.  That way it would help to gets some money out of the economy to fight inflation and that way you can advertise but it will not be free. It also doesn't require a set of rules everybody needs to know and NQ will need to police.