Attacked at asteriod mining....

Mrkennedie

Hello,

i have a question. Yesterday i fully located and discovered a asteriod in the pvp Zone near Teoma. When i landed and started mining for about 10 Minutes, i heared that somebody was attacking my ship. 

I thought, that if i fully discover an asteriod, that nobody else can get trough the process of locating it until the time is up, and the location gets revealed? So how was it possible for the other plazer to find me and the asteriod? Cant imagine that it was just a conicidence? I had radar and nobody was there, when i arrived? 

If im wrong, does anyone of you have Tips for a lone~wolf player like me, to mining asteriods without losing ship every time? 

Thank you and sry for mzy bad english. 

I think they can as they are tracking the same asteroid as you or perhaps more or less discovered it but were laying in wait.  I noticed when doing some asteroids the tracking gets closer and closer to it and therefore narrows down to less than 1 SU away.  That means someone could track to level 4 and 'wait'

It's certainly a system that needs refining for sure.

You have 2 hours from the time that you land before that asteroid moves to the third column and its location is known to everyone.

Hower the moment you land that asteroid is now broadcasting that someone just landed at it.  Which means anyone can then track it down. So a skilled ship can scan that down quickly. 

However what I suspect is happening is pirates are scanning down asteroids, but not landing. So the asteroid remains in the rumor category. They keep watching the dsat for when the asteroid moves to the 2nd collumn. And when it does they fly strait to it. 

Dont solo asteroid.  You need to leave someone on the ship to watch radar. And take off as soon as they see something. And your going to need to have a ship that has a higher acceleration then the pirate. 

If you must do it solo I'd go to the asteroids that are as far away from any planet as possible, and remember how long it takes you to to get to the asteroid because that's about how much time it could take for someone else to show up. And abandon the asteroid before then. Still risky though.

7 hours ago, Haunty said:

If you must do it solo I'd go to the asteroids that are as far away from any planet as possible, and remember how long it takes you to to get to the asteroid because that's about how much time it could take for someone else to show up. And abandon the asteroid before then. Still risky though.

Not true, with a proper warp beacon network you can drop out of warp closer to asteroids than from any planet. 

Ok thank you for the answers. Seems that its not possible for a single-player to enjoy asteriod mining. Thats really bad because im sick of moving my 3 territory-scanners hundreds of times over the different planets and finding as good as nothing from t4 to t5 ores. I played the game 2 months nearly 24/7, enjoyed it, but now im at a point, where i think its not fun anymore...

2 hours ago, Mrkennedie said:

Ok thank you for the answers. Seems that its not possible for a single-player to enjoy asteriod mining. Thats really bad because im sick of moving my 3 territory-scanners hundreds of times over the different planets and finding as good as nothing from t4 to t5 ores. I played the game 2 months nearly 24/7, enjoyed it, but now im at a point, where i think its not fun anymore...

Weirdly, i have played the game since early alpha and never felt the need to mine t4/5, what are you using them for?

6 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Weirdly, i have played the game since early alpha and never felt the need to mine t4/5, what are you using them for?

Money. Well, T5 can be a crap shoot, but I only go after a specific ore if I know there's a demand for it.

As for asteroids, the high level ones are there for PVP. Go find it with a very well equipped combat ship and wait for the pirates. They have exotic weapons, so well equipped is key. The pirates are cowards and will run if you get their shields half down, so it's not really very exciting combat.

And sure, have your buddies mining while you wait for the pirates. They can mine to their nanos and you can pick them up later.

Hey Shadowspawn here, one of the guys who killed you....

There have been a lot of pro tips in here, but here is what actually happened....

You discovered the asteroid, and we hauled our asses towards the first scan point. Around the 4th scan, we spotted, and engaged you. That's why it felt so short. 

My tip for you, freshly discovered asteroids have a clock, probably. The asteroids that have already been broadcast might be a bigger gamble for ore, but you're less likely you see someone there....less likely. 

Glad you made it out in pvp space! Hope that gives you some insights! See you out there

Shadow

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 3:38 PM, Shadowspawn said:

Hey Shadowspawn here, one of the guys who killed you....

There have been a lot of pro tips in here, but here is what actually happened....

You discovered the asteroid, and we hauled our asses towards the first scan point. Around the 4th scan, we spotted, and engaged you. That's why it felt so short. 

My tip for you, freshly discovered asteroids have a clock, probably. The asteroids that have already been broadcast might be a bigger gamble for ore, but you're less likely you see someone there....less likely. 

Glad you made it out in pvp space! Hope that gives you some insights! See you out there

Shadow

Heh. About 3 months ago you destroyed a ship I spent like a week and a half meticulously making. I was so pissed I stopped playing completely. Well done.

Just got back into the game with the latest update. Pretty excited about all the changes to the economy. Built a brand new ship with the last of my money (didn't even make a blueprint cause I can't afford the parts anyway) and you destroyed it when I got called away for a minute after watching the radar for 4 hours straight. I feel pretty stupid, but good job. You're really good at the PvP in this game and you seem like you have all the best toys too. I'm sure even if I was paying attention, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. I just wouldn't have been so surprised to find myself 400su+ away when I got back. Anyway, it sucks, but fair is fair. Nice pirating. Hope you give the Dingus and her contents a good home.

4 minutes ago, MaxxOfReplayableGames said:

Heh. About 3 months ago you destroyed a ship I spent like a week and a half meticulously making. I was so pissed I stopped playing completely. Well done.

Just got back into the game with the latest update. Pretty excited about all the changes to the economy. Built a brand new ship with the last of my money (didn't even make a blueprint cause I can't afford the parts anyway) and you destroyed it when I got called away for a minute after watching the radar for 4 hours straight. I feel pretty stupid, but good job. You're really good at the PvP in this game and you seem like you have all the best toys too. I'm sure even if I was paying attention, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. I just wouldn't have been so surprised to find myself 400su+ away when I got back. Anyway, it sucks, but fair is fair. Nice pirating. Hope you give the Dingus and her contents a good home.

I like your attitude, keep it up!

Unless you go out with overwatch you are just mining for someone else to come along and grab it out from under you since you will be digging blind when someone blows your ship up or your core before you can rez back to it. You are essentially bait since the asteroids are meant to bring people to it so you can get PvP'ed. Never go alone.

3 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Unless you go out with overwatch you are just mining for someone else to come along and grab it out from under you since you will be digging blind when someone blows your ship up or your core before you can rez back to it. You are essentially bait since the asteroids are meant to bring people to it so you can get PvP'ed. Never go alone.

I wasn't even mining, just trying to get from point A to point B. But PvP space is PvP space all the same. Guess you have to own a warp drive if you don't want to get attacked when approaching a planet.

4 minutes ago, MaxxOfReplayableGames said:

I wasn't even mining, just trying to get from point A to point B. But PvP space is PvP space all the same. Guess you have to own a warp drive if you don't want to get attacked when approaching a planet.

Yeah for sure a warp drive is the way to go. Slow boating is dangerous you might get lucky a couple of times but more times than not your not outrunning a PvPer and youll lose a ship or two before you duget cells for anything importanit you dont want to lose.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, MaxxOfReplayableGames said:

Don't worry, your ship is safely nestled in the All Father's Grave Yard. You can even visit it in VR!

dingus.png

On 12/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, MaxxOfReplayableGames said:

I never want the ultimate outcome of a pvp engagement in DU to be that someone quits the game. I am sorry to hear that's what happened.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, RugesV said:

You have 2 hours from the time that you land before that asteroid moves to the third column and its location is known to everyone.

Hower the moment you land that asteroid is now broadcasting that someone just landed at it.  Which means anyone can then track it down. So a skilled ship can scan that down quickly. 

However what I suspect is happening is pirates are scanning down asteroids, but not landing. So the asteroid remains in the rumor category. They keep watching the dsat for when the asteroid moves to the 2nd collumn. And when it does they fly strait to it. 

Dont solo asteroid.  You need to leave someone on the ship to watch radar. And take off as soon as they see something. And your going to need to have a ship that has a higher acceleration then the pirate. 

As soon as they see a pirate in the radar, the pirate can already turn on them and fire at them, thus their warp drive is suspended. A high acceleration doesn't help them either, because they have to accelerate from 0 on and the pirate is already moving. Depending on how loaded they are, they have no chance to be faster. The problem in the game is that you can shoot as far as you can see, so 2SU. This distance should be extremely lowered to be able to fight each other. the battles would be more interesting if you could only shoot to a maximum of 50km.

1 hour ago, Zarcata said:

As soon as they see a pirate in the radar, the pirate can already turn on them and fire at them, thus their warp drive is suspended. A high acceleration doesn't help them either, because they have to accelerate from 0 on and the pirate is already moving. Depending on how loaded they are, they have no chance to be faster. The problem in the game is that you can shoot as far as you can see, so 2SU. This distance should be extremely lowered to be able to fight each other. the battles would be more interesting if you could only shoot to a maximum of 50km.

We always come back to notions of balancing that do not exist in the vocabulary of NQ.

Some examples of things that could have been tried during 1 year of beta :

- Prevent L weapons from shooting XS and S because it will be too small.
- Vmax limiting according to core sizes
- removal of the cross section for the calculations of the chances of hitting
- Give a utility to the voxel in PvP
- Assign a capactiy cost to the ships so that the pirate has no or hardly 15G of acceleration + armor / shield + weapons and ammunition (force players to make choices).
  - Prohibit the use of XL motor on cores lower than L or shield L on cores lower than L.

They tried and failed, it still has some effect tho.

I think they will, that's the most obvious solution.

Why? Big ship gets more hits, small ship gets less hits. 

It had but many-years-in-development french tech didn't work with it when there are more 2-3 people firing and it lagged everyone.

- Assign a capactiy cost to the ships so that the pirate has no or hardly 15G of acceleration + armor / shield + weapons and ammunition (force players to make choices).

They will still have more than any noob miner anyway. "Pirates" in DU have shitton of money(due to ship capture being a good income). They use all t4/t5 and don't even care losing it.

- Prohibit the use of XL motor on cores lower than L or shield L on cores lower than L.

"Pirates" use L for any valuable target anyway so it doesn't change anything.

Edited by XKentX

11 hours ago, XKentX said:

They tried and failed, it still has some effect tho.

I think they will, that's the most obvious solution.

Why? Big ship gets more hits, small ship gets less hits. 

It had but many-years-in-development french tech didn't work with it when there are more 2-3 people firing and it lagged everyone.

They will still have more than any noob miner anyway. "Pirates" in DU have shitton of money(due to ship capture being a good income). They use all t4/t5 and don't even care losing it.

"Pirates" use L for any valuable target anyway so it doesn't change anything.

Cross section Calculations are basically keeping us all from building Voxel Hulks again. Maybe a hit reduction modifier the smaller the core. Otherwise Kent is 100% accurate. Also 'pirates' or merely just us pvpers are always going to win, pvping is all we do. So a rando dude who 'shows up to carebear with claws' will never stand a chance.